Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2007, 06:39   #1

Boat: Alura 30
Instruments

Bill I had problems with all the Furuno electronics.First I lost the Autopilot 2 days after leaving Guadeloupe,had to steer the boat all the way back to Tampa,they replace the server,I haven't had any problems since that.Then I lost depth,wind,etc....It took 3 months to get the problems fixed,if I was you I would go with Raymarine maybe.Other than that the boat is great.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2007, 08:02   #2

Right Philippe,I think the problem has been solved with a voltage regulator.It seems to be working fine now.JC.
Old 11-05-2009, 13:19   #3

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Instruments

Hi,
I would like to exchange experiences with the Furuno 511 autopilot. Ours works fine in wind and auto mode, however does not work properly in "advanced auto" and "nav" mode. We are trying to sort out what the problem is. The dealer we purchased our boat from is helpful in getting Furuno to help us, however we are in a squeeze since we want to leave for the Baltic soon.
Anybody with a Furuno 511 and a GP32 GPS where the above works properly, and who would like to help us in exchanging some settings? Or somebody who solved these kind of problems...
I am an electronics guy but this has beaten me until now.
Also the speed / log transducer has already been exchanged 2 times because the depth meter gets stuck at a certain value (last weekend 7.2 and 8,4 meters). This can be solved by swityching the electronics off and on again. And again. And again... Anybody who had the same problem?
Thanks in advance,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 05:51   #4

Cotemar my water heater was repair under Warranty. Like you I must have a leak somewhere and I cannot locate it...probably just a few drops.We always turn the water pump off when not in use,just a habit.
Scott may be you can help me since you haveFuruno Navpilot.I keep getting an alarm that tells me "no speed data" the auto pilot is fine and stays engaged other than the beeping that keeps coming on.If I press Auto it will go away and comes right bacvk...Any suggestions?
Thanks.
JC.
Old 26-08-2009, 09:12   #5

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
JC
I had similar problems with the FI30 crap, but since upgrading to the FI50 gear, I've not seen the problem in sometime. I don't know if the data is coming from the GPS or the Triducer (the little wheel on the triducer needs to be cleaned regularly). When I upgraded to FI50 the new transducer did not have a boat speed wheel, so I only get the boat speed from the GPS now. I've learned to turn the alarm tone off or I get "no depth data" alarms every time a boat speeds past me on the ICW (wake screws up the transducer from reading properly).
Don't think I'll be taking the boat out till late next month, it is just to hot to enjoy it.

Mark
I've never had the curcuit blow on the hot water heater, but it makes sense that some water could be shorting out the unit. There is a plastic cover over the heating rod at the base of the unit (VERY hard to get at). I left the cover off on mine so I could get at the temp adjustment screw. I'd have the unit looked at under warranty before I did anything. BTW, did you ever find a source for theHagar breakers?

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2009, 10:22   #6

Scott I always get my boat speed from the GPS since the little wheel on the transducer is always fouled with crap.....that's why I don't understand.I guess I will turn the sound down untill I can figure it out! I am also interested in the Hagar breakers.

JC.
Old 26-08-2009, 11:13   #7

JC, I get the "no speed data" alarm from the autopilot when the GPS gives no data, for instance by forgetting to switch it on before departing. The autopilot takes SOD data from the GPS.
If you look in the manual of the Furuno autopilot, you can find that you can go into installation mode, and then call up a screen which informs you (by highlighting) which inpout signls are being received ffom the various instruments. This should include SOG and a lot of other sigbals.
Regards,
Jef, still in St Petersburg
Old 26-08-2009, 12:03   #8

Jef my GPS is working fine,gives me all the parameters that I need,that's why I don't understand why I get the no speed data alarm...I will try what you have suggested to me.
Thanks.
JC.
Old 07-12-2009, 21:01   #9

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Furuno displays

My Furunos have stopped displaying True Wind, Depth and Water Speed. The manual says it could be sensor or cable. I opened the panelling above the stove and checked that the cables were secured. I also noticed that the two displays are linked by a cable, but there is no cable attached to the sensor link on the display.

Anyone know where else I can check the cables?

Cheers!

JohnC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Furuno log.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	11595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Furuno wind.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	11596  

Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24   #10

wayward wind loss of data

Wayward wind, we have had exactly the same problem. The tridata sensor (depth TSW and water temp) and the wind instrument are on NMEA 2000, autopilot and GPS are on NMEA0183. Inbetween them is a Simrad NMEA2000 / NMEA0183 conversion module. It is located behind the fridge in a big space, accessible from the starboard hull, just behind the bathroom door.
What is most likely wrong in your case is that the module's translation from NMEA2000 to NMEA0183 is defect. The other direction might be OK, as was in our case. So you might be able to see SOG, from the GPS, on your tridata readout.
The wires of this module are connected inside a small grey connection box. Reconnecting required soldering in my case. There might also be connectors that are single-use, so you might require screw connectors.

Our module was replaced under warranty.
The defect might have been caused by lightning, I'm not sure about that

See attached photo of the module
Good luck, regards,
Jef
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Miss Poes 09-2- 003.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	334.0 KB
ID:	11598  
Old 08-12-2009, 04:42   #11

wayward wind

John, I might have jumped to conclusions about the module because I did not read your problem well enough. But still the problem might be over there, if not in the module then in the wiring.
Seeing that both sensors do not display, it is probably not the wind instrument. Also, if the tridata sensor malfunctioned you would still see the wind data, so I am a bit puzzled. So maybe it is the wiring or something connected to it. This something could be the interface module I mentioned.
Alternatively the termination resistance of the NMEA2000 network could be at fault. One of the instruments is programmed to have a termination resistance. On the other end of the long cable, inside the grey box, is the other termination resistor.
I would suggest you disconnect the Simrad interface module on the NMEA2000 side, it might then work again if the module is defect. If this does not help, try to disconnect the tridata instrument.
If you want to discuss send me a private email to exchange phone / skype details.
Jef
Old 08-12-2009, 05:16   #12

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Wayward Wind,

As Jef said this is all NMEA 2000 and all your electronics are connected by a NMEA 2000 cable.
Attached is a diagram of your electronics showing the cable.
These NMEA 2000 plugs have 5 pins or holes for male or female.
This cable must have 12 volts of power also, so check your fuse box.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mahe Electronic Pack 2.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	11599   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	11600  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:53   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Mahe Electronic Pack 2

Here are much beter images of the Mahe Electronic Pack 2.
Attached PDF file also.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mahe Electronic Pack 2.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	11601  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mahe Electronic Pack 2.pdf (386.2 KB, 272 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45   #14

NMEA2000

The NMEA2000 cable has 12V otherwise the instruments would not have power, which they obviously have. The 12V is coupled to the cable in the grey junction box behind the fridge
Jef
Old 08-12-2009, 15:36   #15

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Furuno package

Thanks Jef & Mark.

I have just spoken with tech support for Oz. Apparently, our Furuno package is covered by a 2-year warranty. The rub is that FP holds the warranty so all of this has to go through France.

The techie thinks that my problem is caused by the sensors, not the NMEA bus, as the displays are powering up. The wind display shows App Wind but not True Wind, and the Depth/WSPD shows dashes insteads of numbers. They will need to know the exact package, including parts numbers, which only FP can provide.

I have asked our dealer to liaise with FP.

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36