Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 21:54   #1

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Inside Tips from Volvo on Saildrives:

I made a Friend in Volvo, and I got this inside Tip...
Now even as a fair Marine Engineering sort, I cannot vouch for the authenticity, but it makes sense, so I will share it... 2013 Helia 44 in Australia, Maestro edition, D2-55s stock............

I was concerned, having always been a monohull shaft drive sort of person, about the longevity of the Saildrives. I got these Tips on making the Saildrives last longer..

1) This makes sense, I approve for sure, he says change the oil in the Saildrives every hundred hours maximum without fail... Groovy, I can did that (Old School here, oil is CHEAP compared to changing out a saildrive unit...

2) Drain it from the bottom on a haul out, this get ALL the oil out..

3) Here is another really good one: Pause before shifting forward to reverse. Why? Internal slippage clutches and if you shift in a panic it docking it wears them excessively... Got that... Hard to do at times but I got that..

4) Here is the significant one, and I cannot say it is for sure real, but it makes sense: He says on a long passage, put the saildrives in reverse, gear handles straight down... He says even with the folding props there is a tendency sailing at higher speed with the gearboxes in neutral, for there to be some spinning, and this can wear on the bearings a little long term in thousands of hours... OK, I bought that one too... Just do not forget to put them back in neutral when firing up the engines... heh he

Kind regards, and I hope it is a help.... Helia in Oz
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 05:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Inside Tips from Volvo on Saildrives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
... Just do not forget to put them back in neutral when firing up the engines...
Do the Volvos not have a neutral safety switch?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 05:20   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Volvo Penta Sail Drive Service Bulletin

IMPORTANT!

Gear when sailing

When sailing, set the control lever to reverse if a folding
propeller is fitted.
If a fixed propeller is fitted the control lever should be
set in neutral or reverse. When using a fixed propeller
and sailing with the control lever set to reverse the
speed is slowed down though less noise is being
made.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 44-2-85_US1_130S_Sail_Drive.pdf (92.9 KB, 123 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 05:57   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Point #1 is half of the Volvo recommendation. OK, I guess, because it doesn't hurt. However, owning two Volvo saildrives for 16yrs, I don't think it is necessary, and think the Volvo recommended interval is conservative.

Points #2 and #3 are straight out of the Volvo manual.

As Cotemar notes, Point #4 is also out of the Volvo manual. I can add that once the shift lever is moved just into the engagement position, there is no further physical difference in moving the lever straight down. After the point of gear engagement, the handle controls the throttle setting only. You can confirm this by looking at the shift mechanism while you move the handle.

As Gord implies, Volvo has a neutral safety switch that prevents starting the engine while in gear. Even if that switch fails, the failure mode is to prevent starting the engine at all (easily jumped, if necessary).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 06:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Funny, I don't have a sail drive or even a Volvo, but adhere to every single one of those recommendations, except for the drain it at haulout
I have one to add, pause in neutral for a second, but then don't ease it into gear slowly, go ahead and put it in gear, the slipping when easing one in isn't good for it
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 06:28   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have one to add, pause in neutral for a second, but then don't ease it into gear slowly, go ahead and put it in gear, the slipping when easing one in isn't good for it
That is in our Volvo manual also!

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 13-10-2014, 07:57   #7

get a galvanic isolator otherwise the drive, once the little collars zinc is gone will act as an anode.

I have seen 10 drives disintegrate.
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your not supposed to read the manual are you?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:50   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Your not supposed to read the manual are you?
Only when all else fails.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:53   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
I made a Friend in Volvo, and I got this inside Tip...
Now even as a fair Marine Engineering sort, I cannot vouch for the authenticity, but it makes sense, so I will share it... 2013 Helia 44 in Australia, Maestro edition, D2-55s stock............

I was concerned, having always been a monohull shaft drive sort of person, about the longevity of the Saildrives. I got these Tips on making the Saildrives last longer..

1) This makes sense, I approve for sure, he says change the oil in the Saildrives every hundred hours maximum without fail... Groovy, I can did that (Old School here, oil is CHEAP compared to changing out a saildrive unit...

2) Drain it from the bottom on a haul out, this get ALL the oil out..

3) Here is another really good one: Pause before shifting forward to reverse. Why? Internal slippage clutches and if you shift in a panic it docking it wears them excessively... Got that... Hard to do at times but I got that..

4) Here is the significant one, and I cannot say it is for sure real, but it makes sense: He says on a long passage, put the saildrives in reverse, gear handles straight down... He says even with the folding props there is a tendency sailing at higher speed with the gearboxes in neutral, for there to be some spinning, and this can wear on the bearings a little long term in thousands of hours... OK, I bought that one too... Just do not forget to put them back in neutral when firing up the engines... heh he

Kind regards, and I hope it is a help.... Helia in Oz
Not a fan of having a gearbox under water. I am a strait shaft guy with the gearbox access able without lifting the boat out.
Pauline SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 10:28   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
get a galvanic isolator otherwise the drive, once the little collars zinc is gone will act as an anode.

I have seen 10 drives disintegrate.
Volvo drives are electrically isolated from the engine by design. Of course, that doesn't help if one is parked next to a big steel electrically leaking boat. But neither will a galvanic isolator.

Mark

Old 13-10-2014, 10:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline SA View Post
Not a fan of having a gearbox under water. I am a strait shaft guy with the gearbox access able without lifting the boat out.
Then you should ignore threads about tips in maintaining saildrives.

BTW, a saildrive's gearbox is above water attached to the engine in the normal way, and accessible for working on without removing the boat from the water. The only thing below water is the shaft and prop.

You need to lift your boat out to work on the cutlass bearing, and often for working on the packing gland. Saildrives do not require those things.

Mark

Old 13-10-2014, 11:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Then you should ignore threads about tips in maintaining saildrives.

BTW, a saildrive's gearbox is above water attached to the engine in the normal way, and accessible for working on without removing the boat from the water. The only thing below water is the shaft and prop.

You need to lift your boat out to work on the cutlass bearing, and often for working on the packing gland. Saildrives do not require those things.

Mark
Mark,

The input about hauling to change gear oil, every hundred hours, did not sound correct. I feel sure there is oil in the lower unit since is a right angle drive even if the transmission is inboard. Is there an access to the drive from inboard to pump out and replace hypoid? Is the lower unit like a car rear end, filled with hypoid and worry about it once in a life time?
Old 13-10-2014, 12:25   #14

Just answered my own question. Anyone that is interest can google Volvo sail drive. Yes the gears are inboard and lower unit oil can be replaced from inboard. Maybe older units are different? Appears a zinc can be replaced without pulling the prop.
Old 13-10-2014, 15:17   #15

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hello GordMay,

No, either mine is non-op or there is no neutral switch as the other day I fired up my port engine in reverse, only for a brief second or so before I was alerted by the different sound, but no. On the linkage I can find no sign of any neutral switches. It is the old cable shift, in the Old Days the dominant variety was call "Teleflex" but anyway no to answer your question..

What had me do this Post was what the Volvo Insider told me... I had voiced my insecurity about having Saildrives and wanted to know what he thought their life expectancy was in hours....

I apologize if these things were in the Owners Manual. I only had a glance through it. In Australia we Blokes do not thoroughly read Owners Manuals until we have broken something.... Heh he... I thought since it concerned me, others might benefit if only for the reminders..

Helia 44 "AVALON"
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, saildrive, volvo