Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 15:27   #16

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Unhappy

We are not at a mooring but in a slip at Cocoa Village Marina. Go to cocoavillagemarina.com, then go to cameras, and if you have activeX loaded on your PC you can see the marina in realtime. We have concrete barriers around the basin so the wave action is cut down by a large amount. Since we are in a slip with pilings we tie the boat to the pilings and cleats on the boat, when it is done it looks like a spiderweb going around your boat. I've doubled up on the lines and removed all sails amoung other things.
I hope to go to the boat tomorrow if we can get into the area, a lot of flooding and wind damage so far.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 15:53   #17

Boat: Mahe 36 KOKOMO
T. S. Fay

Hi all

I think we are done with the most of it. I saw KOKOMO twice today, and she was riding just fine, see attached picture.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	4767   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.JPG
Views:	468
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	4768  

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	560
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	4769   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	4770  

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	508
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	4771  
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2008, 04:25   #18

Boat: Alura 30
Scott it must have blown pretty good where you are.I left the sails on,I just made sure they were secured well. Those are nice pictures of Kokomo Larry. Good luck to everyone.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:05   #19

Boat: Mahe 36
website for Mahe

I was going to suggest that we put together a yahoo group for the Mahe's. That way there can be separate threads to follow about individual questions rather than one (very long) thread. Also you can post files and photos etc on the yahoo group site. I had a gemini catamaran before my mahe and they had a great yahoo site that was full of information. I havent set up a group site on Yahoo before but can look into it if there is interest. Let me know.
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 12:10   #20

Jef
It is a great idea to collect our knowledge, I caught my hot water heater before the line blow, but not before a friend got burned by the water. It is very difficult to adjust the thermostat since it is on the bottom of the unit (you need very small person and hands to do it) The water was 156 degrees F when delivered from the factory. I now have it at 132 degrees.
I also lost my FI-30 equipment for the 4th time in 18 months, Furuno is now replacing the system with the FI-50. I'd like to know how many others have had similar problems with Furuno gear.
Also on the Jabsco heads, I keep having to replace the Joker Valve every 4 to 5 months (bowel fills with "black water"). I now know why it is called a joker valve, what a disgusting job to do once let alone 3 times! Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm about to add a spectra watermaker to the boat (200T), I'll post after it is completed, has anyone else done this?
Scott
Scott
Old 24-11-2008, 12:47   #21

Mahe forum

Hi, for a dedicated forum try cruisersforum.com - there you'll find a Fontaine Pajot forum and I'm sure the administrator would set up a Mahe forum for you.
Dedzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:10   #22

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, regarding a knowledge base on the Mahe you would require a thread on practically every part of the boat that gives trouble or could be improved, or who produces it. Most threads would not be very long. (probably the ones on biminis and barbecues would be long). You should be able to attach pictures or a document. I do not know what tool is most practical, and can handle hundreds of threads. But I would be willing to contribute with knowledge of the boat.
To mention a very simple example: the jib sheet sometimes catches the jib halyard jammer when tacking. I found out a simple elastic band between the starboard and front diamond stays that prevents this, and still allows you to use the jammer in seconds without hassle. I would like to attach a picture (that I still have to take).
Another one: the URL where you can find the pan holder for the Eno 3-burner stove is at
http://www.eno-marine.fr/espace/imag...es_3feux_f.gif
This piece is standard on the bigger Fountaine Pajots but is not mounted on our beloved entry level boat.
Also you can convert you cold water shower easily to hot water by ordering a part from Plastimo, part number 47676. This is the mixing tap.
Etcetera.
I would be very interested in all knowledge availbale to all of you.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2008, 13:25   #23

Jef,
What you describe is all very easily handled by the Yahoo group. If you look at the gemini site there is a files section where people have posted a folder with their boat. In each of these folders people post pictures of their modifications and descriptions of what they did including part numbers etc. Also, if you search their posts you can find any that dealt with, for example, problems with the water heater. I found this sort of site very useful but it does depend on people contributing their information.
I went to the yahoo group site and it looks easy (and free) to set one up.
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 15:16   #24

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Chuck,
What kinds of pictures are you looking for ? I have tons of pictures.
Here is my favorite.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sunset_Mahe36.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	8524  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2009, 17:21   #25

Mahe 36

Having recently sailed Mahe 36 for 10 days was was elated and disappointed with this boat

Boat i sailed had no bimbi over the helm - open to elements - Harsh

Have seen new boat with cut out in Bimbi - sure if u were at sea in 40 - 50 knots putting your head out through bimbi will be fun

No solar cells fitted
Having to run engines to chage batteries - waste of resources
Had house batteries fail - changed to starting batteries which only starts Port motor - had to run engine for 2 hrs to get enough charge to start starboard engine

Had to run port engine at approx 2000 rpm to charge batteries enough to operate anchor winch - this made it difficult only using starboard engine to motor up on anchor chain
Anchor chain slips off chain roller
Anchor chain then comes up hard under the hull
Cabling and circuit protection for anchor winch could have been larger capicity
When circuit breaker trips - its located down under rear port berth - reach in through cut under berth

Refrigeration consisted of standard Bar fridge with freezer comaprtment as big as a childs lunch box

Overall finish of boat was good
Best under sail was 9.5 knots in approx 18 - 20 knots of breeze
Was easy to sail and manage

Believe that a boat designed by one of the world leading manufactures lacked the basic items that make sailing a pleasure

S
Smavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2009, 11:12   #26

Smavo
First, You should never run your house batteries dead, if you do,you can parrallel the starboard battery and start both engines. With the starboard engine running, you can work the windlass. It is also suggested that you use both engines to aline the boat to retreive the anchor, then you will not blow the breaker and the anchor rode will not come up under the boat, nor will you have the rode come off of the chain roller. These are basic things you should have been told when you chartered the boat. (how much experience do you have with a Cat?)
Also, the cover over the cockpit or the helm is called a Bimini not a Bimbi.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:50   #27

Boat: Alura 30
Well sais scott!this is why I will never put my boat in a charter fleet......JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2009, 07:51   #28

Boat: Lagoon L42
Smavo,

Your post begs the question if you have any familiarity with boat systems? My initial reaction was that you were a troll trying to stir things up on this thread.
As Scott730 has identified, the issues you've taken with this boat have little to do with any FP design/manufacturing shortcomings but rather your interaction with the systems and basic operating skills.
Please feel free to provide additional clarification if this is not the case.

Regards
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 12:24   #29

Kev & jo
I am just south of you in Cocoa Village Marina on the Indian River. Would love to get together. How long are you here for? I'm sure you will be watching the shuttle take off tonight, you will have a great view.

Scott
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51   #30

Hi Scott,

Good to hear from you and we will be here for just over a week, so would love to get together at some point.

We will be watching the shuttle tonight and looking forward to it, as you guessed.

We could easily come to Cocoa Village Marina, if they have room for another Mahe for a night or two!

Kev & Jo

https://www.mahe36.blogspot.com
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36