Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 20:46   #1
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
In General

Any opinions on these boats? I've been planning on taking a 14 month vacation starting in 2012 going to the Mediterranean then back to the Caribbean. I'd have a minimum of 6 and most likely 8 to 10 people on board at all times. The price per foot seems way better then any other boat of that size. I'm going to Tortola and St. Maarten in a month to look at them both.

2001 Fountaine Pajot Marquises Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2001 Fountaine Pajot Marquises 56 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks, David.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 14:08   #2

28 replys discussing a webbed truss for a mast and I can't get one opinion about a couple of nice cats
Old 06-01-2010, 14:33   #3

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I don't suppose that many were sold, aren't these the expensive ones?
And expensive usually means not the cruisingforum type.
There are plenty of comments on FP here, build standard etc.
As I remember there were comments about electrical wiring, some, not many, comments on structural strength on some models.
Current builds seem to have addressed these issues to acceptable levels.
You will have a problem finding a Surveyor with useful experience. Maybe an FP agent would help with that. Also ask FP for a review of the design based on Service use, that would be good after sales service but worth asking. Also ask for a price for a new owner service. That might be interesting.
But in the end it's your decision. Nobody hates the boat they bought, just be prepared to put in the cash or work to bring her up to the standard needed for what you want to do.
You know you're going to buy it already, it's like the wife, you didn't choose her, get her surveyed, there was something special about her. Same with boats, just make sure she agrees with your choice.
Old 06-01-2010, 14:42   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
nice looking boat!, ive never seen one before
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 14:52   #5

Told ya. Talk to FP.
Just looked at the pictures, bloody hell, that's one fine boat.
Is that double roller reefing on the front end?
I don't like the forward mast but depends if controls are run back to the cockpit.
Allow for changing the bimini and helm. These raised helm seats look smart but must be a tough ride in a sea. The bimini depends on where you are going, wind can be the issue when sailing, over or round the sides of the cockpit when reaching. Sun is a problem in kinder lattitudes.
I'd buy it, if the numbers come up.
Old 06-01-2010, 16:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven View Post
You know you're going to buy it already, it's like the wife, you didn't choose her, get her surveyed, there was something special about her. Same with boats, just make sure she agrees with your choice.
Your probably right, I'm just searching for confirmation of my decision. I've probably spent a thousand hours on yachtworld and can't find any closer fit for my needs for the money. As far as my wife agreeing with the choice, my cousin gave me the advice twenty years ago at our wedding "It's better to beg for forgiveness then ask for permission" . It works Most of the time.

My concern about this specific boat model is if it will sail well. There are very few articles, posts, or information available on the Marquises. As I said, we're going to have our family of 4 and probably 6 others on board cruising the Med and I'd be REALLY bummed if I had to motor around because we couldn't do better the 5 knots. I'm going to get the Moorings to give me a sea trial while I'm there so hopefully there will be some wind.

Thank you both for the input.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
My concern about this specific boat model is if it will sail well. There are very few articles, posts, or information available on the Marquises. As I said, we're going to have our family of 4 and probably 6 others on board cruising the Med and I'd be REALLY bummed if I had to motor around because we couldn't do better the 5 knots. I'm going to get the Moorings to give me a sea trial while I'm there so hopefully there will be some wind.

Thank you both for the input.
Narrow hulls with an aggressive bow entry bodes well for performance, but not so much for load carrying. You indicate that you'll have 6-10 people, w/gear, the majority of the time. I'd see a pretty big performance hit at that loading level on that hull design. Also, bow berths on narrow hulls are "cozy". In the heat of the tropics, they really become single berths, not doubles - since most folks don't want to be pressed up against another sweaty body when trying to catch a few z's. She's a beautiful boat, but I worry if she'll actually suit your needs. With as many folks as you plan on carrying - I'd think one of the smaller designs, with fuller load carrying hulls and full bow berths, would be more suitable imo.

Best of Luck in your search!!!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 11:05   #8

Multi's sail quite well!
Multihull World Newsletter Jan 2010

Broadblue 415 01 and 04 in the ARC

We were delighted to hear from John Macrae, owner of Broadblue 415/04 at the end of his atlantic crossing in the Atlantic Race for Cruisers (ARC) and to also hear that he and BB415/01 were the first two catamarans under 44ft to finish proving yet again that these are truly first class cruising catamarans. Perhaps the most important quote from John is "We have no issues at all to report. Nothing broke!!"
Old 07-01-2010, 13:19   #9

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
Holy Crap! Those ARE nice. My lil boat wouldn't make a dinghy for one of those. Good luck to you there buddy. If you can afford one of those, you certainly don't need our advice... LoL
Old 07-01-2010, 14:08   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
bow berths on narrow hulls are "cozy". In the heat of the tropics, they really become single berths, not doubles - since most folks don't want to be pressed up against another sweaty body when trying to catch a few z's
I'm planning on a couple changes. I'm thinking I'll pull out the refrigerators and the 5th head (isn't that ridiculous) in the port hull and replace them with a bunk bed berth. Then in the forward stateroom I'll redo that area to also have bunks in it. They would be anchored off the bulkhead shared by the head. Then in the formost part of that room, I'll put a access door into the bow area where one person could sleep. That way I can have 5 teens of two different sexes - hopefully - sleeping in their own beds.

The other major change I'm looking at is to remove the starboard setee and replace it with a kitchen. That way all cooking and cocktail making will be done in the same area. Where the kitchen is I'd change that to a laundry and storage area. I may be naive but I don't think the boat will be hugely overloaded because we really won't be using it as our home. All the knick-nacks people accumulate in life and cruising won't be there. In otherwords, we shouldn't be any heavier then the boat is when it's chartering 4 couples with crew.

These are just my ideas from looking at pictures. I'm figuring that I'll have to spend quite a bit of money on refitting the boat.
Old 07-01-2010, 22:49   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 65 Sailing/Fishing catamaran
Marquises 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
Any opinions on these boats? I've been planning on taking a 14 month vacation starting in 2012 going to the Mediterranean then back to the Caribbean. I'd have a minimum of 6 and most likely 8 to 10 people on board at all times. The price per foot seems way better then any other boat of that size. I'm going to Tortola and St. Marten in a month to look at them both.

2001 Fontaine Pajot Marquises Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

2001 Fontaine Pa jot Marquises 56 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Thanks, David.
I have tried to steer a number of potential clients to these Marquises 56 vessels for a number of years now. For what they offer a cruising family, they are tough to beat for the price when you compare at new-build prices for this size. I've even entertained the idea of re-power to make one into a more powerful motorsailer if someone was so inclined, and particularly if they came out of charter service and needed a real rebuilding.

Speaking of charter ones I would be particularly careful of French charter cats,. They can be well used. That second one is a private owner vessel and looks to be in very nice condition.

I know an excellent multi hull surveyor if you should need one, but he is in FL at the moment. Could well be worth a good survey when you are spending this much.

Boats aren't selling that well at the moment, so you certainly should be able to bargain. Down the road in a few years you'll be glad you got one of these at a good price, as new ones in this size range aren't going to be cheap to come by.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:29   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60
In september I bought a 2004 Eluthera. 60 foot. Did an extensive refit. My boat is in St Thomas. If these boats have been in charter, particularly bareboat charter you could be in for some issues. One of the listings has moorings stripes on it. PM me if you want more of the story. And you are correct that you will be spending a lot of money on refit.

But.... on heck of a boat. We absolutely love ours.
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
In september I bought a 2004 Eluthera. 60 foot. Did an extensive refit. My boat is in St Thomas. If these boats have been in charter, particularly bareboat charter you could be in for some issues. One of the listings has moorings stripes on it. PM me if you want more of the story. And you are correct that you will be spending a lot of money on refit.

But.... on heck of a boat. We absolutely love ours.
I will pm you, thanks. The one I am especially interested in is the Moorings boat. It has always been crew chartered so it should be in better shape then average bareboats. I really like the Eluthera, she must really fly.
Old 11-06-2011, 18:19   #14

Re: In General

David, did you ever get a chance to check out these boats ?
deeebeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 20:40   #15

Re: In General

deeebeee, I purchased a 2001 Marquises and am happy with it. There are 4 others located in my marina also which is I'm sure the largest concentration of them anywhere. What do you want to know?