Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2011, 14:00   #91

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Belize 43 catamaran named DREAMWEAVER
Reef lines simplified

I saw this one line configuration on a 40 ft monohull but it might be possible on the Orana - or any other boom with some extra blocks. On line goes from the end of the boom, up through the reef point block, then back to the boom end and into the boom to the gooseneck. Where it exits the gooseneck, the reef line went through a block then up the luff of the main through a block in the luff reef point, down to a block on the mast and then back to the cockpit Spinlock. Something to consider
Happy Sails
Pete on Dreamweaver

Old 10-05-2011, 17:01   #92

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Reefing the Main

The process I use on Yachtsman's Dream with the factory configuration goes something like this:
  1. Bring the boat close hauled
  2. Engage autopilot
  3. Don safety harness
  4. Ease mainsheet completely to allow the main to luff
  5. Go forward clipped to jack line
  6. Tighten topping lift to marked position
  7. Lower main to desired reef point
  8. Put strap through grommet and attach to snap shackle
  9. Tighten corresponding leech "Jiffy Reef" line
  10. Raise the main
  11. Slack topping lift
  12. Return to cockpit
  13. Sheet in main/fall off to desired course
  14. Let wife go back to bed if autopilot doesn't work in step 2
I have never had a problem getting the main to come down with just a slight tug on the luff but I keep my bat cars well lubricated. Thus I do not need the tug line jpemb7 and Lucky discussed in posts #76-78. Granted, this process requires going forward to the mast but normally that is not a big deal. Climbing up on the cabin top enables me to easily reach the luff and facilitates engaging the reefing strap. I have had to deal with winds over 25 knots only a few times so I don't have much to add about reefing in real gales.

Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2011, 06:22   #93

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43
Belize 43 upgrades

We bought one of the earlier Belize's and have loved it for 10 years. We've put thousands of miles on Sunny Skies - Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, the Caribbean from Grenada to Bahamas, the Chesapeake. It sails like a dream with 2 (small older) people and we've never had any real problems. Sucked up garbage in the water pumps and had to replace the impeller on a few occasions. The engines have always run great even with a lot of hours on them. (We leave them in reverse while sailing as my husband was taught at the Yanmar class). We had them rebuilt and also the sail drives but really they were not giving problems - we just wanted to be ready for anything on long passages. We did make a few adjustments and improvements and have done a lot of cosmetic work to keep it looking new - here are some that come immediately to mind.

replaced roller furling with larger Furlex and rerouted the roller furling line to go along the edge and back to dinghy lift winch.

Had mast cut 2 feet to fit comfortably under intracoastal bridges - no change in sailing capability

12 ft Caribe RIB Dinghy with 15 HP 2 cycle Yamaha

Sunshades (mesh) on front windows and added slip-in blackouts for computer work in salon

New Stackpack from Doyle

Added solar panels, extra batteries and 12 Volt refrigeration/freezer so we have a backup and don't don't have to run the engine to charge batteries

Interior:
stock counter was looking faded - replaced with Corian
Replaced Stove with Black glass - looks spiffy
Replaced entire cushions with Sunbrella designer fabric... they were flattened and not as comfortable
Replaced Floor in main salon

We did read about the steering cable issue in this forum... We've never had any problems but does anyone have ideas on how to inspect the cables at the bottom of the steering column?

We are heading from Florida to the Chesapeake - leaving in a few weeks. Will check on this forum now that I know about it.
Old 23-06-2011, 06:34   #94

Reefing

PS our reefing technique is pretty much like Dreaming's except we just ease the traveler, not the sheet, and we haven't really needed to adjust the topping lift - and we've never had any problems reefing even with just the 2 of us. We find it sails fine with the first reef in winds from 15-30 so we usually reef for overnight passages just because we rest easier not because it's needed. Above 30 we usually put in the second reef and we've been in 45 with no problems.
Old 24-06-2011, 10:44   #95

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Re: Belize 43 upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagEllen View Post
We did read about the steering cable issue in this forum... We've never had any problems but does anyone have ideas on how to inspect the cables at the bottom of the steering column?
MagEllen,

The control lines cross in the tube that runs aft from the turning blocks under the wheel to the transom. It is that point where they cross that wears through over time.

Inspecting the steering lines can be accomplished quite easily by removing the starboard shelf unit from the aft bulkhead in the salon then detaching the control lines from the rudders by loosening their tensioning eyebolts. (Tie a messenger line to the ends so you don't end up on a "fishing" expedition for them later.) The control lines will then have enough slack so you can pull them up through the turning blocks under the wheel. If your lines are only slightly worn, you may be able to extend their life by turning them end-for-end to move the worn spot away from the crossing point.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 15:00   #96

Re: In General

Wow - thanks for a great reply. So then if the control line is long enough on both ends, couldn't one just slip it through to offset the potentially worn patch? (Or maybe it won't slip without removing the shelf unit)
Old 24-06-2011, 16:02   #97

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

WRT: steering control lines.

I was wondering about raising the cheek block at the aft end of the top line to help separate them. I think if you figured out which line is on top you could put about 1" of star board under the cheek block and keep the lines from chafing.

Also, one should adjust all the play from the wheel and keep the lines taught. That would save a lot of chafing.

Although, I haven't had any trouble with chafing, I changed my lines @ 7 years as a general maintenance item. I used spectra line and spliced them myself. The original lines were only slightly chafed and I kept them for spares.
Old 29-05-2014, 11:48   #98

Boat: Fontaine Pajot Belize 43ft

We have had our ex charter 2004 Belize for three years and been cruising around the Caribbean sea in wind from 0 to 40 knots, but usually around 20 knots.
She is now over 10 years old and we are considering a re-rig and new sails. Does anyone have changes that have proved to be an improvement over the standard charter set up. Or suggestions that may improve performance.
Old 29-05-2014, 16:02   #99

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Screecher and bowsprit.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:57   #100

Boat: fp bleize 43

I already have the bow spit any recommendations or information on a screacher and hardware for a Belize 43.
spud
Old 30-04-2015, 14:31   #101

Boat: FP Belize 43

Hi All.

This group seems to have gone quiet but I will give it a try anyway to see if any of you are still out there.

My wife and I became the proud owners of our Belize 43 (s/n 123) in January of this year. We spent many years saving and two and a half years shopping. We brought her across the Tasman from Coffs Harbour to our home in Nelson, New Zealand in February. We will be doing a 'minor' refit this year before heading to the Islands.

I can only say that I am very impressed with this design. The Belize was the second boat that we got on when we began looking and we just kept coming back to them. The performance on our crossing suprised me. Super stiff and suprisingly quick. On our initial departure from Coffs Harbour our headsail was torn vertically at the second reef mark. While returning to port we touched 13 knots with a fully reefed main and a scrap of headsail. As an aside I would suggest never chasing a low across the Tasman! Our grandchild was due to be born and... well you know.

Just going touch on a couple earlier comments before I ask for help. We have Kiwi props. I am very satisfied. With our 3YM30 we reach 4 - 4.5 knots motoring on a single engine at 2200 to 2500 rpm in normal conditions. They really grab when reversing as well. I apologize. I do not know which size props we have.

Reefing... I designed and redesigned the reefing system all the way home. In the end I reached the same decision that I think was the concensous on this site. It takes a few minutes to go forward, I can see what I am doing and I get to shake water on my wife when I am done. We did find that we reefed every night before sundown. I will sail this design for a while before I revisit the reefing, electric winches and etc...

My single knock on this design is the cockpit is WET. It is no help that the canvas on our top was used as tent material for Moses! But also the structure itself does not cover the cockpit. So I am redesigning the cockpit cover and I would love some input. There seem to be very few hardtops out there and the drawing that FP sent us was no help at all. Our s/n has two winches on the cabin top which restricts what I can do with supports on the forward part of the top and also affects height of the top. I would love to have any input (or especially drawings) from anyone who has solved this problem. I have seen two hardtops in particular that seem to work. Lucky and AussieWayne if you are still part of this group I would love to hear from you. AussieWayne your mission statement for your hardtop was spot on what we are looking for in ours. Have your completed your project? Would either of you make any changes to your design?

Cheers.
Old 30-04-2015, 18:40   #102
DtM

try sending Wayne and Lucky a personal message
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Mastequila
Congratulations on securing one of the finest sailing cats ever built.
Pleased to hear your report of the voyage back to NZ and how well she sailed.
I haven't proceeded with my hardtop at this stage due to an unforseen delay but for me I will eventually build it the way I have described it and very close to the photos I posted.
I do agree that the rag top bimini is the major flaw in an otherwise exemplary design.
I have some initial thoughts about adding into the eventual hardtop build some sort of raised grid pattern of parallel rows the same size (or slightly larger) of the chosen semi flexible solar panels. This way the panels when mounted on these grid rows will still be well supported overall but will receive the benefit of some cooling effect from the air being able to circulate below the panels and hopefully keeping them cooler and thus more efficient in hot tropical conditions.
I would also investigate incorporating into this hardtop design 2 super strong anchor points both fore and aft on the centreline to attach a jackline webbing strap to. These anchor points could and should be part of the structural support struts for the hardtop with no solar panels along the centreline to be damaged.
I would certainly be very interested to see any drawings or ideas that you may have worked up for your design.

AussieWayne

Tags
catamaran, fountaine pajot, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: