Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-03-2009, 00:45   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigamarole View Post
The Bahia is my prefered boat now also. [...] I'm thinking about quite a few modifications for one. Anyone interested in comparing notes?
Yes please, I'm very interested in your notes. Thanks

Old 08-03-2009, 11:36   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Wow, Wellington, glad you asked. I did a pretty through checkout of a Bahia at the boat show">Miami Boat show last month and have one chartered for a week next month.
In order of priority:
My modifications start with the stern. I want to put a fixed platform between the hulls which extends 2.5' past the centerbridge. It would be at the level of the hull joint. I would remove one of the life raft storage areas and glass over it. The other I want to insert a custom made gas tank which would store unleaded for the dingy. The clear span between the two hulls is 12.5' and I want to put a dingy of the same length with a 25 to 30 hp outboard on cradles which are mounted on the platform. I'm either going to rig up a boom crane as described in this tread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f48/boom-crane-and-aft-platform-19076.html or an actual crane such as this : http://www.nautical-structures.com/elecminicrn800.htm . I was quoted $3,700 for the Nautical-Structures crane which isnít bad for how easy it would make raising and lowering the dingy. If I can design it, a portion of this platform would be removable and used as a passerelle.

If the boat comes with the factory installed bimini which has the hard center, Iíd just replace the canvas so side curtains could be zipped in. If the bimini is an aftermarket which is all canvas, Iíll remove and replace with a custom built hard top which will allow solar panels to be attached. The helm chair is a single seat, Iíd replace with a bench seat.

As pointed out earlier, the galley is a poor setup. Iíd pull out the whole wooden module that has the oven in it and also the range area. The reason they didnít put in a stove/oven setup originally is that below this spot is one of the mid-ship berths. Iíd get rid of the starboard mid-ship berth, install a range/oven and then rebuild a full size frontloading double door refrigerator. Iíd convert the existing frig/freezer to just a freezer. In the extra space where the mid-ship berth was, Iíd add storage for food and pots/pans as currently itís insufficient.

Depending on how used and abused the electrical panel and nav station is, I may rework this area also. I havenít actually sailed a Bahia yet but the nav area doesnít seem very functional. There isnít a lot of storage in this area.

A further out, wilder idea is to take the starboard aft berth and convert it to a work room. Iíd install a 2íx4í deck hatch into it so I could store wind surfer, kayak, or possibility both my dirt bikes. The deck crane would be used to lift the bikes out and place them in the dingy or wherever. If I did this, the attached head would be converted to a shower room only.

A nice 5kw generator, high output water maker, and new battery bank are on the list also.

Well, this is a far as my imagination has gone. Iím sure when I get back from the charter some ideas will change.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Rigamarole. I'm with you for the helm bench and the bimini. For the stern platform, did you consider a Salina-style raised one ? It looks like the best of both worlds to me.
Would you have year by year specs lists for the Bahia ? (from what year-model was what improvement added ? ex central hard bimini from ... 2004 ? Helm bench from ... ?) I've also tried to find a user's manual of the Bahia, in digital form. Did you find one on the net by chance ?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sold on the functionallity of the Salina's raised platform and storing the dingy under it. I don't think I could fit the one I want there anyway. I like the idea of a stepdown platform because I could use it as a grilling area, fishing platform, smoking cigars sitting in a chair platform, etc. Mostly what I want is a stable cradle for my dingy.
I don't believe the spec's changed much on the Bahia over it's production run. Interiors and some secondary mechanical details did though. Older ones seem to have engine driven refrigeration unless they where upgraded. I haven't seen any of the factory bimini's with the solid center on anything older then an '04.
When I'm back from my charter I'll have more ideas and will update you then.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:42   #20

Boat: 9' Zociac (fastroller)
"Ten Commandments Of Buying A Catamaran" very insight full and recommend it to any potential buyers...here's the link to that article...

Cheers

The Ten Commandments of Buying a Catamaran[/quote]

I agree, a great read!
Old 11-03-2009, 02:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

Thanks Rigamarole. I look forward to your update after you've sailed the Bahia (in Martinique ? in the BVI ?) - Happy sailing
Old 11-03-2009, 08:55   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

C-Man, I'm actually using Phil Berman as my buyer broker. Really nice guy and has a pretty good handle on cats. I re-read the 10 commandments and think I'm in compliance. There are a lot of reasons I like the Bahia, but one of the top ones is that it's relatively inexpensive compared to simular cats. This will allow me to customize it to my needs within a budget.
Wellington, were chartering out of Sint Maarten w/ Horizon. Our plan right now is to go to Anguilla, St. Barts, then back. If the wind is just right, were going to try to get a day at Saba. We chartered a Lavezzi last year and had a blast. That boat hauled. I'd consider a Belize but if you look at the brokerage prices, they want the same amount for a Belize as a Bahia.
Old 11-03-2009, 17:44   #23

Boat: 9' Zociac (fastroller)
there is a new Belize here for $700K AU that converts to $490K US

how does that compare?
Old 12-03-2009, 14:16   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...Virgin-Islands

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...the-Grenadines

Here's a couple. I'm still guessing that these will sell for over 20% less then list, but that's just a guess.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:43   #25

Boat: Wharram Tangaroa 36ft
Bahia sinks

Looking at the adds on Yacht World, what are those large stainless steel sinks for in the hulls, they show with a drain board. Of course I need to get on one and see it for myself, just wondering.

LOL Bahia does not sink!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:55   #26

Boat: want a 40'+ high volume (comfort) economical cruising catamaran
I was attracted to the Bahia as well but the galley is designed more for looks than function. I am now leaning more to a Voyage style cat.
The Maestro version has the added advantage of a peninsula master berth and separate shower, but alas still has the goofy galley.
Cheers
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Bahia your looking at had a custom second sink installed in the starboard hull for food prep. This is due to the total lack of a counter in the galley.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:13   #28

Boat: FP Bahia 46
The Galley

I'm still new to my Bahia (1 month). When buying it I was thinking that replacing that sink was going to be high on my list. It turns out that it is quite functional. Pots, pans, dishes & bowls are round after all. They fit in there quite nicely. Preparing the food just takes a little planning ahead. Get your stuff out before you start. There is also a great drain rack under the cutting board to hide the dishes while they dry.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:41   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think the sink herbseesmore was talking about was on a boat that was in a crewed charter fleet. I can't seem to find it right now but they had taken the single midship berth in the starboard hull and made it a sink/prep area with storage below.

Still, my problem with the galley is it's poor layout. Compare the below:

Old 07-07-2009, 13:00   #30

Boat: Wharram Tangaroa 36ft

here they are, so you believe this is custom.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: