Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2008, 19:53   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
This is the Maestro version with the owners cabin on stbd. side with much larger bathroom with fixed shower head and fixed shower door. I am 6'1" and have 6" or more headroom throughout the boat and as the floor level is same from cockpit all way through to the transom no problems passing through entry also.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2008, 12:49   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
[quote=rigamarole;133942]I'm looking at the Orana and Salina right now. They are two hot designs. Either one would make my "bag" horny.

I too had a look to both and ordered Orana..Althought 2 feet shorter, if you carefully examine the plans and layouts, you will se that it is much more spacious. And costs less ....

Gordon, once again congratulations..Pls keep on posting photos.. interiors ??

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15   #18

Boat: Herreshoff Eagle
New Google Group for Orana 44 Owners

Hi all:

I've recently purchased an Orana (hull #21) and I've decided to start a Google group for Orana owners to share experiences and ideas on customizing the boat. It's also a place where we can brainstorm issues re: design and construction of this brand new boat.

Please check it out and join us:

http://groups.google.com/group/orana-44?hl=en
jglauds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2008, 21:59   #19
cruiser

Screws for hatches?

Stunningly lovely boat, but I'd wonder what else the builder was clueless about if he used screws for hatch hinges..............
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:14   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglauds View Post
Hi all:

I've recently purchased an Orana (hull #21) and I've decided to start a Google group for Orana owners to share experiences and ideas on customizing the boat. It's also a place where we can brainstorm issues re: design and construction of this brand new boat.

Please check it out and join us:

http://groups.google.com/group/orana-44?hl=en
Good morning
We are the importer for FP boats in the USA and dealers for the South East
We do have started a FP owner club

Please check our forum on the web site
WillmarUSA - Importer and Dealer for Fountaine Pajot Catamarans and ExclusivE 76
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:45   #21

Boat: 15' wetboat named 'the boat'
Out of curiosity, what would the rate of depreciation be on a boat like this?? I was just looking it over on the web and it is a lovely boat, but WAY out of my price range new. We are going to be looking at getting into our ultimate boat in about six years. I am wondering if I could afford a 2007-8 Orana by 2014. Hmmmm...I am thinking that the dollar is going to strengthen again by then, but is that going to effect the price of a used boat as much as it will a new one??
isbolick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2008, 08:49   #22

Orana

We all hope that the dollar will go up finally

Pricing on used boats will be around 30% below new at time of purchase
Boats are keeping their values very well as long as they are maintained
Old 19-06-2008, 09:06   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
We all hope that the dollar will go up finally

Pricing on used boats will be around 30% below new at time of purchase
Boats are keeping their values very well as long as they are maintained
So, we are looking at the $350,000 to $390,000 range in 2014.

Hmmmm...that is going to take some POWERFUL manifesting. I better get at it!
Old 19-06-2008, 15:02   #24

Boat: FP Tobago 35
If you look at the prices of current boats on the market that are around 6-7 years old, FP, Lagoons and other typical charter style boats and compare with what they were sold for when new, then the 30% depreciation is a bit on the low side, especially if the boats have been used for charter. Somewhere closer to 50% I reckon, when comparing list prices. The big charter companies get nice discounts on the list prices so thier depreciation is probably around the 30% mark.

When looking at the price of new boats for the next couple of years, we can expect 2 main factors to play an important role.

Oil prices and derivatives will create upward price pressure. The stagnating economies with less access to cheap credit will see fewer boats being sold, so builders will be looking at dropping margins to maintain numbers, and thereby keep the prices in check.

Predicting what a used boat will cost in 7 years time will be tough......

If you instead, buy a high quality boat with a good reputation, it will cost you the same in dollars in 10 years time, so your only loss would be inflation at say 3% p.a.

just my 2 cents

regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 04:31   #25

Thanks for the input, Alan.

I am trying to put together a realistic 5-7 year plan. We have kids who need to go to college, businesses to run and boats to dream about. I want to get a reasonable idea of what we are going to need in the 'boat kitty' when the time rolls around. The fact is that we will get in where we fit in. If I have enough to buy that used Orana, I will. If not, I will get the best boat I can buy for the amount of money I have available. The goal is to liquidate enough to buy the boat outright. That way, we can sail six months and work six months.

Right now I am trying to learn what constitutes a high quality boat, how much I can expect to spend for one and how I go about learning to safely handle a boat three times the size of our little lake dinghy. There is a lot to learn in six years!!
Old 20-06-2008, 04:46   #26

Boat: FP Tobago 35
If you are looking for a high quality boat, I would stay away from the typical charter boats. These are not high quality in my opinion.

I know this statement will open me up for alot of flack, but these boats are built to be very competitively priced, and corners are cut to achieve this. I know, I have a 1994 FP. She was good value for what I paid, but not what I would call good quality.

You get what you pay for mostly.

Most of the fittings and winches are undersized, the sails are good enough when new, but 7 years on....

As long as you know and understand what you are getting in to, then these boats can be fine.

I would look for a custom design and build. These boats were someones dream during building, and often the quality and attention to details exceeds those of the mass market boats. As these custom boats don't have a well defined market price, you will often get much better value for money. Just make sure you have a really good and competent surveyor on the job for you.

Don't lock youself into a model now, save as much as you can, and start looking more seriously as the time approaches. In the meantime, do what you are doing now, gather information, visit boats, yards, boatshows etc.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 05:49   #27

boat value

Alan

You love boat bashing...don't you ?being Orana or Mahe !!!
If I recall, ont he Mahe forum some of the real owners were not too happy about your comments!and they are using their boats....some across the oceans.So ?
Boat building is not an exact science.We do built custom boats as well ( Multiplast) and they are great.Pricing for a 60' is 4 time the price of a production 60...it keep custom boat as a niche.and make them very difficult to resale .One guy dream is not necesseraly everybody's dream.
Also a lot of bad to very bad custom boats built by yards which have never built a multihull before.They are learning at the owner expanse
FP has built over 200 Lavezzi ( in the boats which are in production) and very few -contrary to Lagoon-go to the charter fleet.I saw them in all corners of the world from South Chile to New Zealand ,from Singapore to the Maldives.....and we do have happy owners as you can see on the forums or web site.Obviously we cannot please everyone but at the end it is boat value .
So please look positive
Old 20-06-2008, 05:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
If you look at the prices of current boats on the market that are around 6-7 years old, FP, Lagoons and other typical charter style boats and compare with what they were sold for when new, then the 30% depreciation is a bit on the low side, especially if the boats have been used for charter. Somewhere closer to 50% I reckon, when comparing list prices. The big charter companies get nice discounts on the list prices so thier depreciation is probably around the 30% mark.

When looking at the price of new boats for the next couple of years, we can expect 2 main factors to play an important role.

Oil prices and derivatives will create upward price pressure. The stagnating economies with less access to cheap credit will see fewer boats being sold, so builders will be looking at dropping margins to maintain numbers, and thereby keep the prices in check.

Predicting what a used boat will cost in 7 years time will be tough......

If you instead, buy a high quality boat with a good reputation, it will cost you the same in dollars in 10 years time, so your only loss would be inflation at say 3% p.a.

just my 2 cents

regards

Alan
Right now we are selling Mahe or Lavezzi which are two years old for more money than owners paid for.Obviously the dollar took a dive and fiberglass related products went up in the same time .
Also I was talking about owner boats ..not charter fleet and the good Maryland .Bahia ...etc that we have ( 4 to 5 years old) have lost 10 to 15% in dollars .
Old 20-06-2008, 08:05   #29
jzk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Also I was talking about owner boats ..not charter fleet and the good Maryland .Bahia ...etc that we have ( 4 to 5 years old) have lost 10 to 15% in dollars .
Are you familiar with actual sales of used boats in this range, or are you just talking list asking prices?

Some charter boats offer a fantastic value. A used Leopard 47 can be had for $295k while a new Leopard 46 goes for $650k. The problem with owning a never-chartered charter model is that the glut of charter boats available on the market will pull the value of your boat down even though your boat is in better condition. It is just supply and demand.
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2008, 09:10   #30

pricing

Good morning
It is true that charter boats will take the price down some .But we also have clients looking for boats that we maintained or never chartered.
In the best of case chartering will multiply the use and wear by 6 to 7.
Worth case scenario ......don't even go there as the mainteance is done to a minimum in the Islands
Some comapnies will also give you a better boat after a few years of chartering that what they started with ....but they are few
Alos your example is good .A Leopard will be cheaper after charter use and the boats have been built for the charter trade ...so they are cheaper to start with.why?
I think that you need to like what you want then rationnalize and sometimes make work
Priority is ; strengh and sailing abilities .That what will make the difference when you are living aboard.You can always add hatches for ventilation or cabinets for storage but there is nothing you can do when you start with a bad design or a boat design for sitting at a dock
call me if you want to talk about it
Philippe at 954 609 9345