Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 20:49   #1

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Improvements to the Saba 50

Well
I'm back!

After four years of study, through a strange set of circumstances, a very enterprising Broker Kelvin at Multihull Solutions, brought us an offer on our Helia 44... It was not even for sale!!! We thought we were done with yachting... Hmmmm Leslie needed a center console dinghy, She is partially crippled up and cannot walk far, so She needed a bench seat and backrest on a larger dinghy. Our Helia 44 just could not carry such a large dinghy..

Then, the unimaginable happened. The same Broker Kelvin, two months later, he brought us a SABA 50, the ONLY one in Australia, This is the most OUTRAGEOUSLY equipped Private Yacht, I have ever been aboard, and I am Blessed to now own "SERENITY"... We just could not turn it down, we are hooked..

I will be refitting a few things, and not to brag, but sharing some of the existing appointments. Something like 47,000 views of the last long Thread, is there any interest in hearing about my saga (now for Life I guess) with the SABA 50?

Some very interesting things have been done to her already, and I will carry on. This is NOT TO BRAG about it, this is to SHARE an interest with like minded people or those that might want to improve the SABA 50..

I will share if there are those interested. At my age, THIS IS IT... The Helia 44 on major steroids, mast about 8' taller, and Saildrives in front of the rudder, the SABA 50 is a major step up from the Helia 44. Davits can carry over 500 kg, and so it has a huge dinghy, a hard bottom inflatable 4.2 Meters, center console, electric hydraulic winches to haul her up... Even the dinghy is outrageous, 50 hp Honda four stroke, and its own Garmin Navigator and waterproof Garmin radio.

Anyway, should I start another TOPIC like the Improvements on the Helia 44? Or are you sick of hearing from me?? After four years of study, and dreaming, and talking, we finally made good and own the 2015 Saba 50 SERENITY... Heh He...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saba 6.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	169009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6034.JPG
Views:	1132
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	169010  

Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:48   #2

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
Re: Improvements to the Saba 50

Congrats!!

We continue to wait on our new Saba - Our September delivery date has now been pushed back to November. It looks like the last of the Sabas will be built 2Q19.

I'm elated to hear your 4.2m dinghy fits - We went with a 3.8m Euro console Highfield. Look forward to hearing all your thoughts, retrofitting ideas and experiences.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14   #3

I enjoyed the posts on the Helia and would love for you to continue sharing your experiences and advice! Congratulations!
jobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran

Please keep posting. Will be great to hear what's been done and what you do to keep improving SERENITY.
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 16:40   #5

Helia 44 here, the O.P.
I wonder if I should change my name...
Now Owner of a 2015 Saba 50, loaded up with gear, I am truly Blessed..

Short entry as I am offshore, coming down the coast of Far North Queensland, (FNQ). I am bringing her home from the Whitsundays up in the Great Barrier Reef.. (GBR)
This is her Delivery Voyage home, where I can better load up and remodel a bit.. And outfit her a little more... Three days out, hiding from a South Easter coming, behind Fraser Island..

"Serenity" is very well equipped, and I don't know what is standard but I will start with the basics of what She has... Your comments are welcome..

Hydraulic winches on the Davits.. With a remote. I don't know if it was added or not..

180 litre/hour big water maker, automated flushing, remote

6 Planus fresh water flushing toilets.. New to me. Quiet, clean, no odor, but they use fresh water. I have to see if I can plumb them with Y valves into a salt water pump, and then switch them back to fresh on the last day. The obvious advantage is at home there is no sulfur smell of the dead organisms in the salt water when not in use..

All the winches in the helm are powered up, 2-Harken 50's and 1 Harken 60, I think one 50 is done by F.P.

Under the cockpit seat, same style as the Helia Cockpit only larger, there is a seat on the starboard side. It is longer, sort of a triple seat or one laying down. Under it has been built in an additional 317 litre fridge freezer, custom made... In the galley is the Isotherm freezer and the two drawer big fridge filling the island. Then there is the normal 75 litre bar fridge sort in the cockpit.. Four refrigeration systems.

Blue courtesy lights have been added everywhere, and they are beautiful. Then there is a band of blue LEDs under the main saloon eyebrow all around, She lights up really pretty at night for fun, and there are blue Aqualume underwater lights. Real Show Pony stuff..

Dimming remote lights, floorboard hidden lights, headboard lights, under bed combing lights, all on dimmers, very fancy..

11 kva Cummins Onan, with remote, and modified improved exhaust and water separator...

A second Victron Charger/Inverter system, to speed up charging on the gen-set..

7, total big Varta batteries, look like 150 AH. Four look stock like the Helia, maybe the other three have been added.

Larger alternators on the upgrade engines, D2-75s, and She motors about like the Helia, seven knots on one engine at 2100 rpm. 470 litres in each side.

Some fancy electronics, Garmin, Radar, Quick anchor chain counter remote for Ultra plow, multiple water and fuel gauges, 2-400 litre holding tanks one each hull with gauges and independent pump outs. Six CruiseAire ac units, probably an F.P. option... And cameras for the blind side port hull, that come up on the Garmin outside helm screen...

Carwash nozzles built into below anchor roller to remote control at helm, salt water pressure wash of chain as it comes up.. Plus chain counter in Metres, no more painting on of 10 meter markers on chain..

That is about all the highlights I can think of right now, plus all the boxes ticked on everything you can order with the Saba from F.P. She runs and handles like a big Helia, I am amazed at how well I have adapted in just one trip down the coast...

Now, a minor list of what is to come:

I need to convert the Planus (if possible) over to seawater flush..

Separate the Port and Starboard running lights out to the bows each side..

Second water maker, maybe 80 litre/hr.. The Saba has HUGE reserve buoyancy, for all the little wish list things...

The biggest fault, and biggest job, is to convert the useless front salon windows.. I may have to take that whole front window out, and replace it with new one cut to take two Lewmar hatches under the eyebrow like I did
on the Helia. She needs some ventilation when she is locked up, to keep the refrigeration going nicely, that is rain proof. Right now it would flood the interior with those big hatches, and be a security issue leaving them open.. I have not solved this one yet.. Maybe a security screen door custom built to leave open in the cockpit???

Interior renovation on the Quintet, aft cabin and midships cabin have a non-structural bulkhead, remove it, and move a Queen bed against the hull, a thru walkway, and flexi-teak the damaged floor from the renovation. That and make a Maestro, with the smaller bathroom converted to a laundry to Port side. On the Starboard, take out the bulkhead between the two showers, make one large ensuite, his and her sinks at opposite ends. The extra loo will make a nice seat in the double shower, or removed and seat put on the raised island. To Starboard the midships cabin would be a walk in wardrobe and storage. Forward Pt and Strb Queen cabins and full ensuite bathrooms would remain for guests.. A double Maestro so to speak.

Square coffee table renovated to triangular dining table.....

Second Anchor windlass for redundancy..

Fish board cleaning system, off to one side, on port, with salt water wash.. A similar set up to the Helia, as shown in "Improvements to the Helia 44"

Second Furler, converted big 150 Genoa or Screecher out of sail collection... With spinnaker fittings forward, similar to what I did on the Helia: Refer to
"Improvements to the Helia 44" with pictures..

The SABA 50 really is a big Helia 44 on Steroids... It has huge reserve buoyancy, so I can add an extra 500 litres of diesel, and 500 litres of water, that pump into main tanks as reserves.. I do need renovations, but it is worth the effort. The Saba is much more "sea-kindly" than the Helia, and punches through waves when having to go to weather like now against the normal South East Trades I am suffering to get her home.

Much more to come... I am doing "Life" with this one..

More to come, with pictures, kind regards to all,
"Helia 44", on a Saba 50, that has to be a Blessing from the Lord!!!
Old 08-05-2018, 03:13   #6

Now, a week on Serenity, I am still in the Delivery phase.. But two over night runs and two days and sitting at anchor I can pass a judgement:
The Saba 50 is not too big, I mean for all those that would be insecure about it, I am 66 years old and I have to tell you that She is NOT too big.
I single handled the Helia 44 alone, I raced the Helia alone for fun, and I cruised it alone to short hauls, and the Saba is really NOT too big. In fact, I have had Her out in moderately bad weather, because I want to get her home and this is the worst time of the year to be going south, this is the prime South Eastern Trade winds, with only a few lulls. I am beating into the weather and this meant the first night was 1-1.5 Meter seas and 22-25 kts of wind, not what you do for fun but the Saba 50 handled it just fine..

I want to do some modifications and the weather is just wrong this time of year. The predominantly S.E. Trades and squalls are right on the nose. You would normally be going north this time of year not south.. And here is the main difference from the Helia: I left in bad weather to catch a short 36 hour window of moderate to calm, and battled meter and a half of seas on the nose and 22-25 knots of wind for the first 18 hours. The Saba has a longer waterline, and is heavier, and cuts through that weather that would have been rough for the Helia. The Saba 50 is more "Sea Kindly"...

There are a lot of subtle improvements to the rig that also makes her easier. More power winches, more aids to the main, bigger furling, a lot of things. All in all, I would say no, for all those that fear it too big, in reality it is massive more luxury and room for plenty of equipment, and more than 20 improvements to the Helia.

She is a major improvement in refinery, and space, with dimming lights and layout improvements. She stands above the Helia in sailing, room for service in the engine rooms, everywhere. No, She is not too big, in fact She feels safer and travels better. I might be the only person to have personally owned both a Helia 44, and a Saba 50, I am 66 and here to tell you the Saba travels better.

One of the biggest differences is the added ability to kick her stern around in a marina, as the rudders are aft of the props where the Helia 44 had the rudders in front of the props so you could not kick the prop wash off the rudders to kick the stern over as well. The Saba 50 docks up and maneuvers better...

I am going to improve the rigging, to have two large Furlers on the prodder, and reinforce the prodder (bowsprit so to speak) with the second furler and the spinnaker block in front of it for the Aso.... Just like I did on the Helia, the front furler will be for a huge Screecher to use in lighter air....

There are many refinements, bigger sinks in the galley, lights that dim, remote mood lighting on the floor and behind headboards and under beds, all sorts of creature comfort things. Also, I liked the look of the black granite benchtops on the Helia, but the Saba ones are grey that is the color of the scratches. All in all and the refinements on the Saba are all better.

She also has the reserve buoyancy to allow me to load her up, with backup gear and water and diesel well beyond the Helia 44. The big things are still the big dinghy and davits, but it goes further than that. There is huge reserves in the engine rooms with a seat in there, and room for a lot of extra equipment. The long waterline makes up for any extra weight, She sails well!

The general layout is better for my Wife, Island Kitchen for one. But in general it is far better, plows through bigger seas better, She is not too big in fact she is better in every respect.. I might be the only person to have lived with and cruised both, and I have to tell you the Saba 50 might even be easier!!

I will quit now, here are some pictures of what I think may be the ultimate cruising yacht in the World..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lxeyzyiosyl29ssukq59v.jpg
Views:	811
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	169417   Click image for larger version

Name:	npnwoxtnudjsw95nd5kxb.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	169418  

Name:	IMG_6012.jpg
Views:	848
Size:	423.1 KB
ID:	169419   Click image for larger version

Name:	q6cw6dnk1zmwvf9zl0rm5.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	169420  

Name:	Saba 6.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	363.0 KB
ID:	169421   Click image for larger version

Name:	sgr3dx9fps3mrvniuyix9.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	169422  

Old 17-05-2018, 21:35   #7

Hello Friends,
Home at last.... This was the wrong time to be heading south along the GBR, as this time of year is the South East Trade Winds right in your face and two meter waves... We left on a short 24 hour weather window, and after a four day trade winds blow, another window. Then we were stuck behind Fraser Island until we got another little lull, and the final leg 30 hours home around the top end of Fraser. The tides were wrong to cross the Wide Bay Bar. Southern Trades blow on the Queensland Coast until about October when the Northern Trade Winds take over. So, three overnighter runs and we are home at last... Her blue lights on sitting at her berth in Mooloolaba.

I want to go back to the Whitsundays and Islands further north this year, leaving with the wind in about July, but I had to get her home to outfit her to my standards and load her up... She sails amazingly well, and motors about the same as the Helia, sort of 7 knots on one engine. She is a lot more secure though as each engine is served by separate fuel systems port and starboard...

Now back to projects. I want to add another large furler to the prodser, for two furling head sails. It looks like the prodder has been reinforced at the base of the prodder. Maybe any of you with a Saba 50 can confirm if this is added on or original, picture below. I do not know how to add pictures in the context, but it is below, a large well done plate over the prodder reinforcing it. I want to reinforce the front of the prodder and here is how..

I am going to thru-bolt the largest Wichard pad eye, with a set of (3) 10 mm stainless bolts, thru the prodder to a backing plate on the bottom side. I am thinking of putting rigging wire on two 'eye nuts' on the top of the 8000 kg big Wichard pad eye bolts made of threaded stainless. The 'eye nuts' can have the top of the thru bolt TIG job to make it really strong, and then run rigging wire and turnbuckles down to each hull to the eye bolts where the bridle hooks up. This will be a massive reinforcement to the prodder itself.. Not cranked up too much, just a little downward pressure to take the load off of it because of the massive roller furling Gennaker I am adding on..

Also, this is novel. This is a picture of the settee on the starboard side of the cockpit, sort of under the helm. The previous Owner built in a 370 litre (according to the paperwork) with fiberglass over 2-3 inches of insulation. It functions like a fridge or freezer and is massive. Other than that She has the same refrigeration as the Helia 44, freezer, two drawer fridge, and cockpit fridge. Thought maybe some of you would like to see this massive refrigeration system.

My further improvements, double furling rig plus spinnaker rig in front of it, big snatch blocks returning to power winches for Gennaker, and a lot more, starts this weekend... I will be busy from now on, but ain't it fun !!

Kind regards from Yacht SERENITY...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Home at last.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	169961   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Proder.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	169962  

Name:	AA fridge.jpg
Views:	794
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	169963  
Old 20-05-2018, 17:53   #8

Right Oh, Hello Fountaine Pajot Friends...
66 years old, 45 years looking at yachts, in all fairness I still think FP is still the KING of the cruising cats... Lagoons are heavier and not as pretty to the important lines and eye candy, and the Catana is for young people that are more concerned about world cruising than comfort and visibility and don't care about the outboard exposed helms.. FP is still the king from all I have seen, for a good cruising yacht in big cat..

Enough of the extremes on "Serenity" as it sounds like I am showing off, I am not. I only put the extremes of gear on there for those that might find it interesting. Now, on to my own inventions for the SABA. She sails really well, 8 days against the trade winds, ducking into dog holes to continue home in the weather windows, She sails well. I mean for her size, about in proportion to the Helia 44. However, they both need the double head sails. There was the big foil furler of the working jib. But it needs a larger heavy cruising sail which I have now rigged. The working jib is about a 100% in the old language of monohulls, and the big gennaker is about 6 oz? and about a 130-140%.

I don't know how to add the pictures in the context, so the four are added below. First, I have rigged the roller furler on the Spinnaker downhaul on the end of the prodder. I really do not think the prodder is proportionally bigger than the Helia, maybe the same size. Second and third pictures are of 4 to 1 boom vangs I had, reinforcing the prodder to the eyes on the hulls that hold the anchoring bridles. This is all temporary to see the fit of the sail and rigging. The fourth picture is the biggest Wichard Pad Eye made, 8000 kg rated. It will be thru bolted with 10mm custom made bolts to a backing plate on the bottom of the prodder, located back about 10-12" from the Spinnaker down haul where the Profurl is now. The stainless bit I am holding, is a large "Nut Eye" that the threaded rod goes up into, and will be TIG welded into the end of the stainless thru bolts, TIG on the top of the threaded rod where it goes through the threaded Nut Eye.

Then I am going to replace the 4 to 1 boom vangs with stainless rigging and turnbuckles, to the Nut Eyes, and back and down to the anchoring bridle eyes on the Saba 50 hulls. This will make the prodder super strong. It will also free up the down haul on the end, to fly spinnakers, or a massive 150-160% Gennaker in 3 or 4 Oz, a giant light air sail for up wind in light wind.

The base of the prodder is reinforced with a stainless plate backed up.... That is the fifth picture..

Anyway, this is my first major upgrade to the Saba, reinforcing the prodder, and equipping for twin head sails left in place, plus rigging for a third sail like a down wind Aso, or the big upwind gennaker..

All the best, Skipper/ Owner, Saba 50 Serenity
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Furler 1.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	170232   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Furler 2.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	170233  

Name:	AA Furler 3.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	170234   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Furler 4.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	170235  

Name:	AA Proder.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	170236  
Old 03-06-2018, 17:41   #9

Hello Friends,
Here is the latest, first the roller furling. I made a custom fitting... I wish I knew how to post pictures in the context. If any of you want to give me instructions it would be appreciated, and for your benefit.

The first picture is of the top fitting. I had stainless rod TIG welded into the eye nuts, so I can add rigging reinforcement maybe 1/4" and turnbuckles, from the eye nuts down to the eye bolts in the bows where the anchoring bridle hooks up. Second picture: Made up a polished stainless backing plate under the prodder, in 3 mm stainless. The top was thin, the bottom of the prodder was structural fg more than a half inch thick!! I will dress it up better when at a dock up in the Whitsundays at Abell Point Marina, when I can trim off the bolts.. It is fitted and works well, but I need to put on about a 6-8" extension below the furler on top of the prodder, to get the sail up a little higher.. Now in that picture, you can see my favorite rig, a double head sail rig, and the forward fitting is now a down haul for a spinnaker hook up..
The extension of the higher fitting under the furler will be done this week.

A third head sail halyard will be created out of the cockpit led main sail topping lift. I will put in a fixed topping lift shackled to the masthead. The bottom of the fixed lift will have a stainless thimble braided into a block about a meter above the main boom. Then I will put in a line from the end of the main boom, up through the block, and down to the other side where I will install a turning block on the boom. It will then feed forward to front of the boom to a cleat. BINGO a new adjustable topping lift, so the existing one can be fed through the mast head to an empty front sheave on the strb side. This long original topping lift was fed to the cockpit, and will make a great spinnaker halyard.. I have done this before, cheap, easy, and it works well..

Now this is another simple fault of F.P. they are just being stupid in not putting in Engine Temperature Gauges and it makes them just look just foolish!! (Fountaine Pajot reads my Posts, maybe they will get it this time, THEY LOOK SILLY in not putting in the temp gauges) The next photo is the only place they could go, holes are bored.. Total costs of short wiring kit, gauges and mounting kits, black bezels to match existing, is around $300 U.S. under $500 Aus$ RETAIL...and could save your engine. They just plug into the existing engine rpm gauges with a short wiring kit..

Next picture is of the Port Hull Skippers cabin. I love the hatch/door access to the cockpit ! Now it will have access from the Owners Cabin forward, and another access aft into the cockpit to a massive Owners Cabin!!! Anyway I have cut out the bulkhead between the Queen bed in there, and the one one the other side midships cabin. I am making up the timber trim to finish out the opening, but this makes the only yacht I have seen with a SUPER KING bed, and we each have our on ensuite heads and showers. Hers is just forward, mine is just aft. This might be the best Maestro Layout possibility, since the only Saba 50 in Australia is the Quintet with the Skippers cabin. I have to be inventive...

Right oh, the next picture is of a dead area (same as on the Helia 44) in the forward part of the cockpit, behind the galley. I put in an access hatch, and the next picture is of the dead area. There is enough room for Big Game fishing reels, and yacht maintenance supplies. Very handy for both the Helia 44 and the Saba 50, and an easy job.. It gives you that cockpit extra storage you really need.

Lots more coming, if I am not boring you. Let me know if you want more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Furler 4.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	171022   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA furler done.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	171023  

Name:	AA Maestro cabin.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	171024   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Maestro 2.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	436.1 KB
ID:	171025  

Name:	AA Cockpit locker.jpeg
Views:	615
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	171026   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Cockpit locker2.jpeg
Views:	565
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	171027  

Old 03-06-2018, 17:51   #10

OOoops,
In addition to the previous post above..

Sometime the pictures get loaded funny, and one I forgot...
Here is my new Owners Stateroom, with the access to the cockpit on one end with shower toilet aft, and access and another toilet shower forward. I removed part of the bulk head to make a double Queen Super King sized bed...

The other picture here is one I left out.. The only place I could fit the new Volvo temperature gauges. The Turbo models, D2-75F really need them. You can see if the temperature is creeping up for one of many reasons in the cooling and seawater filtration systems, or low coolant in the fresh water system..

Best regards, let me know if you want more, it is on going... Saba 50 SERENITY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Maestro 2.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	171029   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Engine temp.jpg
Views:	700
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	171030  

Old 03-06-2018, 21:36   #11

Boat: wanting a cat

Definitely want more! We appreciate the effort Helia 44/Saba 50.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 23:01   #12

After this many years looking at them,
The French Luxury Cruising Yachts of Fountaine Pajot are the best from what I can see. I like the Catana, I like the Lagoon, I even like the Leopards, but the F.P. wins out... Why?

I mean the Catana is serious around Cape Horn in dead of winter offshore circum-navigator OK... But the layouts are poor, cannot see through the coach house from the cockpit, and they have outside helms in the weather.. That is not luxury IMO, serious round the world stuff for young people then OK...

And the Lagoon, heavy, awkward looking, and cheap work horses for the Charter Fleets. OK, I get that, but most of the time they are hard on the artistic eye IMO... Functional, strong, good for the abuse of the Charter Fleet, but not as lovable .....

The F.P. sails well, built well, and the finish and lines are lovely. I think they are the best of the Production boats of the world. Fountaine Pajot is the gourmet yacht.

Why I am saying this, is I might be the only Person to have owned and fixed up and greatly improved both a Helia 44 and now a Saba 50 in progress. The Topic IMPROVEMENTS TO THE HELIA 44 has something like 50,000 views, and I think is fair and balanced. If people want to hear about the improvements, then this is of value for the Helia and now the Saba. BTW, I think the SABA 50 is easier to sail Single-handed.. What? Yes: At least this one with all the winches powered up. It does not react to the seas as much, longer waterline and more weight, and rudders aft of the sail drives... Wooo Hooo!!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:39   #13

Boat: SOLD

Hi, congrats on the new boat. Not a cat sailor yet, not even boat owner any more, but getting closer every day to my dream boat, and the SABA is one in my short list.
Just saw a video of a 2017 Saba (Youtube Willey Sharp), and one of the improvemets they added is a SS bar at the corners of the eyebrow to prevent the headsail / lines from getting stuck there, pretty smart and simple solution .
Hope it helps and keep posting your upgrades.

Fair winds

Mariano
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 21:13   #14

Alright,
I admit this is a wild one.....
But my Saba 50 was ordered from F.P. without toilets and holding tanks.
WHAT?

What I have is six (yea, 6) Planus toilets, and central large 400 litre holding tanks. Port side under the midships cabin bed, and 400 starboard under the front v-berth.. Why? Well, no odors vacuum flush, all odorless high grade marine hose and big pump out, and fresh water flush. The one familiar constant is the sulfur smell of dead micro-organisms in the salt water flush toilets, that stink up the boat when not in use.. I will be putting a Y valve in the feed lines to shift them from fresh to salt when in use, like maybe the three main toilets when out at the islands of the GBR. Then when headed back to port where water is plentiful, shift them back over to fresh water selection.

Now, not many would be bold enough to battle this big of a task, as to order a Saba 50 without toilets and holding tanks. I am not suggesting you do this, it was done by an eccentric Millionaire, and yes it is lovely and I am blessed to have this, but: What I am showing you is a picture of what is behind the screwed on acrylic cover in each of the forward toilet/showers just behind the V-Berth... Why am I showing you this? Because behind the normal 80 litre holding tank that would be there, is a huge wasted storage area like the one I showed you in the cockpit behind the galley. It would be around 3 feet deep, behind the normal holding tank. In this first and second pictures it would be about 5-6' deep and the same behind the mirror in the suite on the port side.

This is a huge storage area gone to waste. I am building linen closets in each bathroom where the holding tanks would be, as the storage in there is very minimalistic. But behind that, in the foot well at the feet of the seats up forward, in that foot well you could add another Lewmar Deck Hatch to match existing in style, and access a huge storage area on each side. That is what I propose to do... Thought you would benefit from this... That foot well is below the seats on the front of the Saba 50, and there is a drain into the anchor locker, but the Lewmar hatches could go to the outside of that area to a huge forward storage area on each side that would normally go to waste...

Kind regards, Helia 44 on board a Saba 50 now, "Serenity".....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA storage.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	171110   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA storage 2.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	171111  

Name:	Saba 3.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	361.7 KB
ID:	171112  
Old 06-06-2018, 19:06   #15

Right oh,
I have decided... In the first picture below, the forward head has a dead space behind where the holding tank would have gone, the whole area is about 5' deep, sort of 1.5 metres.

I am putting in a linen locker and opening door, of 1/2" 13mm plexiglass sort of acrylic door and piano hinge and the standard locks in the Saba. Behind that is about 4 foot, 1.2 Meters of dead space in that area..

Now if you look closely, that light horizontal colour is the side of the large foot well in front of the forward seats. I am going to put in a piece of 1/2 plywood from there down to the hull, and glass it in place this Saturday. Then if you look closely, the overhead area beyond the lighter horizontal area, that flat area is about 500mm x 700mm or so, the flat deck area of that part of the foot well.
I have just ordered (2) size 50 Lewmar Hatches to go there, mounted from above on deck area of that foot well, and will end up with about a half a cubic meter of extra storage on each side for very little money and effort.. One can always use the storage, and this is use of another dead area, and here is the access. The Lewmar Hatches are cut out size 377 x 507mm so I will mount them narrow side to side, long side aft to forward.. The result will be a watertight storage area about half a cubic meter or a little more on each side.

The next picture is the extension under my furler, gets it up a little higher, now the hoisted top thimble is only a couple inches under the top fractional mast head block.. Full height now... Now I have a double headsail rig on the prodder, with room to fly a spinnaker out on the end, or I have a light upwind giant screecher I could flake out on deck and run up wind...

I have not decided on how to reinforce the prodder with rigging, probably 1/4" 1 by 19 and turnbuckles, from the 1/2 shackle where I have the two 4 to 1 boom vangs in, or the eye nuts on the stainless fitting below the extension .... Hmmmm

Not sure it needs it, but over-kill makes me feel good...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA storage 2.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	171197   Click image for larger version

Name:	A1 Furler.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	171198  

Name:	A1 Furler (2).jpg