Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2018, 15:13   #31

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Improvements to the Saba 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikigai View Post
Hi

I have ordered a SABA and taking delivery early 2019 and looking into a suitable tender and am considering a Williams 395 Sport jet tender, it being 3.9m (including engine, as it is built in) and weight being 370kg dry or 450kg wet. The tender will sit on the new hydraulic platform offered on the SABA

In the specs, FP mentions maximum length of tender to be 3.8m and weight to be 200kg
In your helpful thread it is mentioned you have a 4.2m tender (and you would still have an engine increasing this length), and the davits can handle 500kg
What is the max width between sugar scoops on the SABA ? Do you think a 3.9m jet tender will fit easily and what is your thoughts on the hydraulic platform
Hello Ikigai,
I have been a month now up in the GBR (Great Barrier Reef) with a slip to go back to in Abell Point Marina for a break and a bit of party time. I thought maybe there was little interest in this Thread, so I stopped adding to this Post. Since you can obviously benefit, and are interested, I am back on the job!!!

Now on the hydraulic platforms, I cannot give you advice with no experience with them, because I would not have them. I don't like the hydraulic platforms, because I don't think they lift as high, and are heavier, and I would not want them in a following sea.

If my electric hydraulic winches on the davits failed, I could rig something with other blocks and winches.. I have the 500 kg davits, and I think they lift higher. Just now I got down off the dock and took a picture, the first one below, showing you the height of the davits. They are very impressive... I have shown you in another picture how they are rigged, 4 to 1, and two fixed safety lines front and back that clip on with snap shackles. In addition I have a rig like a 4 to 1 boom vang, from the inside front of the Brig to the top of the davit on the starboard side to pull it tight so there is zero movement at sea. This whole rig is the highest and safest and I would get that set of davits if doing it again.. My davits are rigged for 4 to 1 lifting, with lights, and remote control. The whole system is so stable I can step into it for cleaning or maintenance or washing things down, it is solid as a rock.

As to the dinghy, a center console "Brig" and it is 4.2 meters front to back counting the 50 HP Honda and it fits well... LOVE IT!!

I hope you enjoy the pictures.... Regards, Helia 44, now Blessed to be on a Saba 50. The Helia was still a yacht, the SABA is a little ship. Not only for massive room and storage and hull reserve buoyancy but also for how it handles the seas. The SABA is just not reactive to small seas or wind, more stable, like a little ship. I am in love...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6495.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	176417   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6494.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	176418  

Name:	IMG_6497.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	176419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6034.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	176420  

Name:	IMG_6035.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	385.2 KB
ID:	176421  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 22:33   #32

Boat: Fountain Pajot SABA 50' (on order)

Hi Helia
Many thanks, the information is very useful and helpful for choices I am making. I did send another question relating to the toilets and holding tanks. I am finding your posts very useful in assisting me in decisions I am making at the moment , so whenever you have a chance more is great. Regards Ikigai
Ikigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 05:23   #33

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Hiya Helia,

Now that you have some experience with your new ride, could you tell us how many revs would give you a cruising speed of 7 knots in calm water? Lets also say if you used both engines for that ( which you probably wouldn't, but lets assume both were used), what revs equals 7 knots?

Do you have the Volvo 55's?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 19:18   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikigai View Post
Hi Helia
Many thanks, the information is very useful and helpful for choices I am making. I did send another question relating to the toilets and holding tanks. I am finding your posts very useful in assisting me in decisions I am making at the moment , so whenever you have a chance more is great. Regards Ikigai
Hello again Ikigai,
I was just a little busy with projects, now that I am back in Abell Point Marina. I will be headed back out to the Islands on Sunday AM, but will have email most of the time through Cel-Fi. I am also going to get an Email link via HF and my new ICOM 801E, but I am still learning how to use it..

Now on the heads... (Old boat-a-Rican for marine toilets), any way the fresh water toilets are all the rage. I have six on board. One of them was jammed with some foreign material, probably lady stuff from a non-mariner one of them aboard cleaning the boat for delivery to me four months ago... It could not grind through fast enough and the bowl filled up, nothing visible it was down inside the grinder. Anyway, after a week of thinking how to handle it, on inspiration, I turned off the water pressure, and ran it through its grinding flush cycle with the water off. It did not work with the water on, as it just kept over-filling the bowl after a couple of tries. With the water off it ground away at it, and after maybe four or five tries it ground through it and flushed and fixed the blockage. Water back on and it was all better, clean, worked perfectly, with no muss or fuss. In four months of normal use, with 2-4 people on board, and two trips up and down the 1000 kms from Abell Point to Mooloolaba Marinas and back up to the Whitsundays, NO PROBLEMS... The system is FABULOUS...

Now come to find out, the previous Owner was just a bit ahead of his time and after a long battle Fountaine Pajot relented and delivered the Saba 50 without heads and holding tanks. Now come to find out, FP now offer the fresh water flush toilets and others are going that way as well.

What is draw card? No odour. No sulfur smell of dead salt water micro-organisms when the boat is left, all very clean, and the Planus double flush about 15 seconds apart, no odor, clean, very neat... And other than a jam from someone's mis-use prior to delivery, not a single fault.

Now as to your question on which one to choose? That is probably more geographic. I haul out at Boatworks, in Coomera, in the Gold Coast. It takes me two days to get there because of the tides, but it is the fabulous Marina I have seen in the world. Laundry, bar, restaurant, super clean, 20 acres of hard stand and maybe 20 Marine Businesses on site.. WOW... The Australian Distributor for Planus toilets is one kilometre away at Gold Coast City Marina. Soooooo, for me it is a "no brainer" and I will stay with Planus.

My holding tanks are one in the port hull mid-ships under the Queen Bed, and the other in the starboard V-berth in that empty collision bulkhead empty space. In the other one to port, is a bow thruster... My holding tanks have a big diaphram pump out system that runs for five minutes and shuts off. The holding tanks empty in about 2-3 minutes...

I am pleased that I not boring people with this Thread. I was going to quit it and just carry on, but: I will continue it as long as anyone is interested...

Cruising notes:
More whales this year than EVER before. You have to watch out for them, they are literally ALL OVER THE PLACE!! I was happily mid throttle speeding along in my ceter console dinghy at about maybe 15 knots, and one sounded just in front of me about 40-50 feet, scared the heck out of me!!!
Beach combing is good.. First couple of pictures, whales just off my port, taken with just an IPhone, trying to stay out of their way... And then one month of beach combing, netted floats and buoys, and almost a four foot fender!! 1100 mm long!! And of course, shells, shell, I give a lot away but on the remote rocks and islands it is fun to pick them up after a blow of big wind...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6467.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	176512   Click image for larger version

Name:	F.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	176513  

Name:	H.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	176514   Click image for larger version

Name:	D.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	176515  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	385.4 KB
ID:	176516   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	176517  

Old 30-08-2018, 19:36   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
Hiya Helia,

Now that you have some experience with your new ride, could you tell us how many revs would give you a cruising speed of 7 knots in calm water? Lets also say if you used both engines for that ( which you probably wouldn't, but lets assume both were used), what revs equals 7 knots?

Do you have the Volvo 55's?

Hello BigBeakie! Nice to hear from you, long time no hear, you are looking good!

I have run from the Whitsundays down to Mooloolaba for some major renovations and equipment organisation for two months, and am now back up in the Whitsundays. Maybe 2000 nautical miles of experience now in four months with the Volvo D2-75's... They are great, bigger than the 55's on the Helia, but about the same work and fuel. Nice big engine rooms with seat... Top Max rpm with these props is maybe 2700, but I never go there. I cruise at 7 knots on one engine at 2100 rpm. 2100 rpm is a very low wear, very nice to the engine rpm, should go forever like that ...

Both engines? Never really do it, but it runs about 9-9.5 knots with both... With both, I get 7 knots at maybe 16-1700 revs or so? I do not bother, as it runs so good on one engine, just like the Helia. This Saba with the D2-75s gets great fuel economy. I have checked it twice with sort of 500-600 nm of travel each time and got 6.2 litres per hour at 7 knts the first time, and 5.8 litres per hour the second time. However, that is including the use of my 11 kva Cummins Onan making water and such. Sooo, my guess is something around the 5-5.5 litres per hour with the D2-75's, running at 90 C, at 2100 rpm...

Good to hear from you Big Beakie!!

Helia 44, now Blessed to be on the Saba 50 "Serenity"... Renovated down to four cabins now.. Laundry room, ice maker, all the goodies you can imagine..
Have to feel "Blessed by the Lord"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	176518   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	176519  

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	176520  
Old 30-08-2018, 23:55   #36

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Thanks Pardner, great info.👍

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:08   #37

Boat: Saba 50 2016

Hi Helia,

Thank you for all your posts and info. Great stuff!

re the dinghy:
Our buddy from Lady Roslyn mentioned that he felt his dinghy was a little too heavy and straining his davits, even though it is not as large or spiffed-up as yours (which is very cool..).
It seems you don't think weight is an issue..? Is it an alu rib?
CatDAzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 12:27   #38

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Thanks for all the insight!

We're "scheduled" (not that I place a lot of faith in the date) to take delivery of our Saba in La Rochelle in 11/18 and still have TONS of outfitting decisions to make.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:02   #39

Boat: Fountain Pajot SABA 50' (on order)

Hi Helia
Thanks for the info, it is helping greatly. Keep them coming. The Hope to be visiting GBR in a couple of years, haven’t dived there yet. Regards Ikigai
Ikigai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 15:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatDAzur View Post
Hi Helia,

Thank you for all your posts and info. Great stuff!

re the dinghy:
Our buddy from Lady Roslyn mentioned that he felt his dinghy was a little too heavy and straining his davits, even though it is not as large or spiffed-up as yours (which is very cool..).
It seems you don't think weight is an issue..? Is it an alu rib?
Hello CatDAzur,

I am on my way back outside of the Whitsundays to remote islands right now. I will keep this Thread alive as long as people are interested or I can help as in your question...

Lady Roslyn I think was hull #1. Serenity is hull number 11. As in the case of the Helia 44, they started making improvements early on, like my Helia hull #8 had improvements and then later on they went to hydraulic steering and so on. My point is that my davits might be an improved version to what Lady Roslyn has, I do not know...

My davits are box section aluminium, and the bolt on part to the hull is in about 12-14 mm, like 1/2" or better... My paperwork says 500 kg, but you can get in and walk around in the dinghy, sit on the davits, and it is all rock solid. My dinghy is on the heavy side, loaded with gear, Garmin Nav, Garmin VHF, fish sounder, center console, for and aft anchor for beach combing, and so on. I am guessing the Honda 50 with power trim and so on, would weight maybe 120 kg? Anyway, my davits are rock steady, massively strong, no sense of any give, could be even 500 kg a side.

Have a look at the pictures previous, and see the large box section of alloy davits. I mean it looks like tow truck frame work, no hint of give or weakness. I do have safeties on snap shackles, two forward and two aft, that clip on to hoisting points, in case of winch failure or something: But the davits do not leave me feeling insecure at all... Massive solid feel to them..

Kind regards, Steve, on "Serenity" 2015 Saba 50
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6495.jpg
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	176683   Click image for larger version

Name:	11a16.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	176684  

Name:	IMG_6011.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	176685   Click image for larger version

Name:	ykshwwsuckdafky0xsqmp.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	176686  

Old 28-09-2018, 03:37   #41

Hello Friends,

Helia 44 here, now Blessed to be on a Saba 50, really!!

The last, what four weeks or so? Since I posted an update? Anyway, I have been cruising the GBR (Great Barrier Reef) Islands... My passion, diving, snorkeling, fishing, sailing, beach combing, I guess Beach Combing is the tops.. What have I been finding? I have decorated the front of the Saba 50. I have some pictures for you. Floats, fenders, fishing buoys, and bits an pieces. Also, the last picture is of my shell collection, for those aficionados!! This is maybe 100 beaches, countless islands, scars on my left shin from barnacles and oysters on two falls.. And hundreds of miles of cruising and walking, this is a crazy obsession. What the hey, Guys gotta do something...

I will have an anchor/ground tackle improvement post coming. Having lost one anchor in the Bommies near the reef, a 48 kg Ultra and 42 metres of chain, and smashed another anchor a 48 kg Mantus to pieces, I have some interesting tips and upgrades coming for you.. A new Post coming on anchoring and windlass upgrades for the SABA 50, with some surprising results.. Not another anchor post, this is interesting material for the larger Cat mob OK?

Stay tuned, stay healthy, and enjoy the pictures.... My Treasure so far this year.. I will load it up on top of the Coach Roof, the "Sky Bridge" area all tied down before we start the trek south in November.. No, it is not going to stay up there on display, it will go into the well of the Sky Bridge deck, securely fastened down.

Yes, I AM MAD as the Hatter... Heh he he... Home looks like a boat junk yard.. Collection that is..

Bless You All......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CF1.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	178107   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2.jpg
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	178108  

Name:	CF3.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	178109   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF4.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	178110  

Name:	CF5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	178111   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF6.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	178112  

Old 28-09-2018, 05:18   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post

...I will have an anchor/ground tackle improvement post coming. Having lost one anchor in the Bommies near the reef, a 48 kg Ultra and 42 metres of chain, and smashed another anchor a 48 kg Mantus to pieces, I have some interesting tips and upgrades coming for you.. A new Post coming on anchoring and windlass upgrades for the SABA 50, with some surprising results.. Not another anchor post, this is interesting material for the larger Cat mob OK?...
Very much looking forward to your comments, especially regarding your impressions of your Ultra. I'm about to place an order for a 48kg Ultra, #13 swivel and 100M of 12mm G6+ 318L CROMOX Duplex SS chain for our Saba.

Thanks!

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
Old 28-09-2018, 14:26   #43

Hello Tom,
"Calm Seas Quest"

I really do have some important information and equipment upgrade ideas for you. It is really gratifying to know that I can really be a help to someone as specifically as this, you are right in line for something important of value coming..

You have surely picked the the best of the litter in the Saba 50. She sails well, She motors well, and She is not as reactive to seas and clutter as are the smaller boats... Fountaine Pajot do a nice hull layup, lots of cloth and roven where it counts, and a little chopper gun mishmash for fairing, but a great solid boat that is pleasing to the eye. There are stronger Cats like the Catana, but they are poor layouts, poor visibility through the main salon from the cockpit, and the outboard helms are for younger people that can take the abuse. Overall, the FP rules the roost for sailing, and quality of life living aboard. I think they are pleasing to the eye. Production boats have the details worked out where single build custom have many problems built in, you have done well. Leopards are a distant second place IMO. Congratulations on your choice, you are very astute and switched on. The SABA 50 will outperform IMO, and is very comfortable, a real Lifestyle.

Now on your serious question, I have three parts that will take time to compose, and be a bit of length, but very important so hang tight. Right now just a short note for you, as I am hauling anchor here at 7:15 AM and headed from the anchorage at the south side of Whitsunday Island by Hamilton Island, to Abell Point Marina on the mainland, to drop off some guests (Daughter and Friend) and catch up on about a half day of boat work and unloading. She will be taking some gear home for me, as She drove up two days to get here to play at the Great Barrier Reef islands..

I have some very important information to impart, on upgrades to the anchor system and rollers, and chain, and anchor itself. I will get to it in the next two days, and suggest you hold off on ordering that ground tackle until my Post OK? I will have some surprising insight, engineering, and experience for you. This is just a short note but it will be coming in the next 48 hours, and there will be some possible surprises on board..

Kind regards, Steven, on SABA 50 #11 "SERENITY"....
Old 28-09-2018, 18:35   #44

Thanks Steven. I’ll be in Annapolis for the Sail show next and hope to place the ground tackle order within the following week. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Old 28-09-2018, 23:51   #45

Very interesting thread. We are in shopping around for a Helia, and if that was the (previous) choice of someone with such attention to details as you Steven I believe we are on the right track.
Thanks for all the insightful posts.
ed91e is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, Saba