Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2019, 10:52   #106

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Improvements to the Saba 50

Hiya Skipper,

That's quite a haul you've discovered! Nice thing about floating lures is when the hook dissolves after the breakoff, up it floats to find a nice secluded shore, waiting for anyone with sharp eyes. Well done. Fun, isn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum

BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 18:37   #107

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hi ya Big Beakie!
Nice to hear from you...

I am up here for another month, then fishing the long way home looking for Mahi-Mahi, Sailfish, and Swordfish for about two weeks out near the outer reef and on the continental shelf...

Yea, a Guy has to do something, so my thing is beach combing the remote islands. You can always spot my house in Mooloolaba with the biggest collection of fish floats, netted floats, fenders, anchors and chain, and all the rest all over my deck and dock and hanging from the house... The Hoity Toity Fashionista sorts hate me with my Sea Junk everywhere... Heh he... I actually use my boat..

Hope you are well. The Saba 50 is so fantastic in all proportions, that I think I have decided THIS is it until death do part... It is a shame it sits behind my house in Mooloolaba for 7 months a year, but I think I am going to take it down south to the Gold Coast every year for the International Boat Show at Sanctuary Cove and PARTY!!. I am also thinking of gearing her up a bit more (crazy man).. With maybe a 12volt water maker for when running on the engines, and also additional charging capability on the 11 kva Cummins Onan..

Anyway, that trip: That will break the 7 month drought of cruising for me. There just is not much of anywhere to go from Mooloolaba except north to the GBR.. I mean maybe Brisbane River for a week, but that gets old and noisy but the lights are beautiful at night, and Moreton Island, but that is a muddy bay on the protected side... Maybe I will take those little trips to break things up and justify keeping such an OUTRAGEOUS personal yacht.. Those destinations just pale in comparison to the Whitsundays and the GBR.. I mean I can hardly speed in my 50 hp Honda tender, for the whales.. And on the last trip out on the reef I saw maybe 50 turtles and 50 skates and rays in the water only about a meter deep at high tide.

Anyway, I have included pictures of my last trip out, to the outermost islands past where the Tourist go, and yielded this lot of fish net covered 7 floats. As well as these separate six-seven floats, and the biggest reef trolling plug lure I have ever seen.. Hope you all enjoy the pictures.. This is the best year ever for netted floats and fenders, and the biggest Ship fender I have ever seen on 1" hawser, the last two pictures show my seagull striker getting over loaded.. Heh he. I will have to move it all to the top cockpit lounging area over the main salon before I head home..

Steve, on Saba 50 #11 "SERENITY"... Back eating and drinking too much in Coral Seas Marina, Airlie Beach...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floats 1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	328.5 KB
ID:	199969   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floats 2.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	199970  

Name:	Floats 3.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	335.1 KB
ID:	199971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floats 4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	199972  

Name:	Floats 5.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	199973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floats 6.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	199974  

Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 05:23   #108

That's a serious amount of loot you got there pardner. My envy was raised by the popper though. Have you popped for GT's yet along the reef edge? You'll need to find alot more poppers though, those GT's are so brutal, you do go through a few lures. And better to take off the trebles and replace with really strong singles, safer & more effective.

I'm actually taking lure making stuff with me when we launch ( pleeeeeze don't ask when....I've had a few dramas like firing the builder and falling off the boat and breaking my back in 3 places &#128545 , so that will occupy me making poppers while we're on the hook on the trip back to Oz.

Hey if you're bored in the off season, why not do the daggerboard upgrade on your Saba? That'll keep you busy for a couple of weeks.😉

Keep well.

Old 02-10-2019, 18:13   #109

HELLO BIG BEAKIE !!

Look, before I show you the latest improvement, replacing the fussy electronic Whale sensor in the shower sumps, I will address a couple of your comments:

First of all, yea, my treasures, house and yard are filled with them and anchors and chain...

Second of all, I will post a picture of this years collection of lures and poppers I have collected off the beaches in my travel. I must have about 20 of them this year, hanging overhead on a big front window. Blow it up and have a look!!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, take care of yourself, when it comes down to it all we have is the Lord and our health!!

As to adding dagger boards? No, it would ruin the layout of the Saba, and I don't hate myself enough to want to live with massive dagger boards that it would take on a boat this big...

If I am that hard pressed to windward, I am happy to just turn on an engine to assist. That will get me upwind close hauled and faster than the dagger boards would anyway.. I carry 1000 litres of diesel, and try not to sail any distance close hauled on the wind like that. I am leaving the GBR island hoping down to home for 10 days - two weeks. When the wind is not with me or on the beam, I will wait for it to change. Right now I will have calm wind break for five days and that will get me about half way home. Then the wind comes around to the south- southeast for a couple of days and then switches to the north so it will be behind me...

Cruising the Great Barrier Reef area is a seasonal trip... You have the dominant SE Trade winds to go north in winter, and then it goes 50-50 this month and then goes to Northerly weather in late October/November.. Since I am Single Handling a boat this big, I don't mind motoring on one engine when the wind is not favourable or very light. Plenty of fuel and only just over 1000 hours on the 75 HP Volvo diesels, not going to hurt a thing, so I will motor on light wind and sail when favourable. But I am not going to buck into the Trade Winds bad enough to need or want to live with Bloody Dagger Boards...

Now the latest improvement: ATTENTION FOUNTAINE PAJOT, The French Luxury yachts come with Shower sumps that are below the water line for good drainage, and Whale sensors that run the diaphragm type pumps to pump them out automatically. The Whale electronic sensors can last two days or two years, they are extremely unreliable and expensive. My Saba 50 is less than 5 years old, and I have replaced four of them in 18 months, one twice.. It was my idea to switch them over to the mechanical Rule 35A float switches...

Turns out my idea is good, but not original, and the Airlie Beach Marine Electronics have been doing this successfully for a few years. They make brackets that adapt the screw in lid with the sensor on it, in alloy, to take the 35A Rule float switch that goes on and stays on with a few inches of water movement down to off as the float goes down. This is a far simpler and better and more reliable system... Pictures included...

I believe this to be a cost effective and reliable improvement..

What is coming to Saba 50 Hull number 11? I am thinking power furling Main boom furling, recut main with same horizontal battons. Further power furling big Genoa sort of large headsail... Also thinking a smaller possibly WhisperPower 4-5 kw Genset to back up the big 11 Kva Cummins Onan when all I want is battery charging and hot water at anchor... Shame to run the big Cummins Onan at 1/3 load, it is not good for it.. If I load it up with added use like dryer and air conditioning and water making, it uses twice the fuel the WhisperPower would when all I need is maybe 4 kva for battery charging and hot water service...

Secondly thinking of an Aqua Base 12v 60 ltr/hr water maker to make water at about 25 amps DC when I am motoring and to back up the big YK3 180 ltr/hr water maker... This allows me to make water when motoring off the engines 100 amp alternators.. More efficient, and back up.. All in all both will not add 100 kg to the Saba...

This will make me more energy and diesel efficient, for very little weight, and totally independent at anchor up in the Great Barrier Reef. Will keep you posted...

Kind regards, Steven, Blessed to be on the Saba 50 "Serenity"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AA Rig 4.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	416.6 KB
ID:	200868   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA float 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	200869  

Name:	AA float 2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	200870   Click image for larger version

Name:	AA float 3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	423.9 KB
ID:	200871  

Old 03-10-2019, 08:28   #110

Sorry Steve, that was just my warped sense of humour, about the daggerboards. Wasn't really serious.

We're building ours now, and there's alot in it, to do it properly so they don't jam, or do serious damage to the boat if you hit something solid at 10 knots (like a whale at night? &#128563

It's a bit of a weird feeling to have these nice sleek hulls, and then you chop these huge holes in the hulls for the daggerboard cases.....

Loved the lure collecting. Don't know why, but I really like finding lures.. just cheap, I guess🙄. Then again, I've donated my fair share LOL.

Old 03-10-2019, 15:04   #111

Here is an important TIP for EVERYONE....

I am a Veteran cruising with whales. I mean in the annual migration of the whales... They are going north, when I go north, and they are going south when I go south.... Inside the GBR in the sheltered waters between the GBR and the mainland I see whales every day, some close, some far...

Here it is in case you did not know: When in the whales migration, and Females with calves, LEAVE AN ENGINE ON AT NIGHT.... MOTOR SAIL AT NIGHT. They will hear you and avoid you. You really don't want one to sound underneath you, or breach over the top...

Steve on Saba 50 SERENITY

Tags
men, Saba