Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2015, 00:08   #31

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv
Re: Improvements to the Helia 44

Quote:
=cwjohm;1794928]Not sure how you get hatches that do not leak when open. The Helia has hatches that are protected by the coach roof. Other than that I just switch on fans or air con when heavy rain occurs.
Mate, I am 61, I had boats all my life.
Lewmar hatches can be left on 'ventilation' when it rains, as long as it is not blowing hard, you get no water in your cabin.
BTW, I have no coach roof above my 9 deck hatches.

Quote:
Normally lines run through slip rings connected to reef points by dyneema. How do your ensure yours lie tight against the sail?
I have my lines going from the port side of the mast into the s/s cringle on the sail and back to an antal ring on the stb side of the mast, then to a clutch near the winch.
I can put enough tension on them to keep them tight against the sail without flapping or interfering with the sail.
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 20:24   #32

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstich View Post
Helia 44, we have a 4 cabin Helia and no one is sleeping in the aft starboard cabin, but I certainly understand you concern with the magnetics. If I had someone in that cabin I would also want insulation!

You have shared some excellent thoughts and I especially like the way your salon hatches turned out.

Helia 44, can you please give me additional information about the 2 Lewmar hatches you ordered and installed?

Can you me the actual specs you used when you ordered your hatches and if you ordered them directly from Lewmar?

Also who or what type of trade person actually installed the hatches for you? Was it a fiberglass person? Not sure who to seek out for this work.

Thank you very much for your help and for sharing your ideas,

Mary Grace
Hello Mary Grace... This Thread is just to return a little something to the Cat Community. Of the 261 Cats available when I was searching, the Helia was without a doubt the best value for money I could find, but there are always little bits for "perfection" that can be done...

The magnetic flux is real, and I do not care what the strength is as some ask, at 100mm from my head 8 hours a night when the charger or inverter is on, ANY is too much. The fix is simple and inexpensive at about $300 and worth it for the worry factor alone.. Here is the product description:
The product is a magnetic steel annealed which is specially treated with extreme heat, has high voltage passed through it and it is stretched and quenched which orientates all the particles/grains in one direction (rather than random particles in normal steel) thus reducing the field that can get through the sheet. We use it in shielding switch rooms and sub stations etc.
Three layers behind my charger, and I will forget about it... Mary Grace, there are always fools that will chide such concerns, but if they had a family member get brain cancer or something, they would certainly change their attitudes... I am of the 50% that think the risk is real, and the same with living under high tension power lines.

Now on your hatches, forget what others are saying, I have owned my Helia for a year next month, and do not live aboard. The main salon heats up about ten degrees C higher, almost 20 degree F higher, and the freezer and refrigeration suffer. If you leave the front hatches open enough to get good ventilation, they have to be open at least half way. In a hard rain, water splashes in just from surface contact, and also blows in with any wind which is about 1/2 the time in the tropics. Unattended this will harm the nearby woodwork and leather long term. The eyebrow is not big enough at the rake of the front cabin. Unattended those upper porthole hatches can be wide open flat wide open up under the eyebrow and do not exceed the overhand, and high enough off the deck to get no splash... It is a perfecting issue for proper ventilation. At anchor, the boat would face into the wind and the splash in would be nearly 100% of the time in thunderstorms.. I also leave the door open about a good foot, with a paging alarm system on board that immediately calls my cell phone if there is an alarm... Called Marine Alert, again not expensive

On Ordering the hatches, yes the black powder coating is not stock, you have to order them direct from Lewmar and they are expensive.... They pull send of the pieces for powdercoating black before assembly. Expect a couple of months wait, and double the cost of a normal hatch. When they come though, you will marvel at the quality and strength and they match the rest, mandatory for such a fine vessel as the Helia...

Now on the "how to" it is not a difficult job. Now yes I was a Shipwright and had a Company about 30 years ago that did this for a living, but with these secrets I am about to tell you, it is not a difficult job. If you are half skilled this is a DIY job: You first make up a skilled pattern, one did fit both, out of thin panel, equal to the outside edge of the inserting part of the hatch which mounts from the outside. Then after you have marked it (on the inside), you drill two holes opposing holes one on each side, just in from your mark. This is all done from the inside, as that is where the cut is critical as there is no covering flange, the outside could wander a little as there is about a 1" covering flange on the hatch. You drill and cut from the inside, a two person job because one person mans a Shop Vac sucking up all the dust with the intake tube right at , I mean right on, the drill/and blade. You use a high quality jig saw, right fibreglass medium blade, cut out to your line from the 1/2" drill holes and go half way around one way taking the line, then due to obstructions go to the other hole and go the other way around. Cut carefully, as that line is what you half to fill with caulk. I did not take out enough of the line, and had to use a large dremel type tool with a round cutting head to slightly widen the hole... Any good cabinet/carpentry sort can do this job. Then you mount with Sika-Flex or the like type of marine caulk on the outside, and a thin layer on the inside of the cut, that you smooth off with turps on a rag and wet finger to leave no excess. It is not a Shipwrights job, merely a handyman carpentry sort of job... The key is the proper use of the shop vac to not make a mess, and mask off the fibreglass before you start around it with green low tack masking tape so your marks and sabresaw do not marr the interior fibreglass gloss finish.... Your cut actually goes through the masking tape, like maybe a 6" wide strip all around....

Enjoy your Helia...

Done, it is a huge asset to the boat and ventilation, and FP- I suggest You should offer this as a Tropicalized version (at a cost) with upper fridge vents as well... Yes there are no temperatures in the Med that require this, but we get 40+ C in the tropics and sometimes heavy rain every day..
F.P. look at the before and after, it even looks good!!

Helia 44 "AVALON"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765 (Copy).JPG
Views:	645
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	100155   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatches (Copy).JPG
Views:	748
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	100156  

Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:45   #33

Boat: HH55 Catamaran

Helia 44, this is great information, thank you very much. I don't have any experience with carpentry so I will have to get some courage up to do this myself.

Would you please tell me the exact specifications for the hatches you ordered through Lewmar?

Also, I am thinking that I would like to order screens with the hatches, did you choose that option?

As for the different opinions about the magnetic flux, you have to go with what is best for you. There are things I can't prove but still know to be true. Go with what is best for you!

Assuming I can make the same hatch additions on my Helia, it won't happen until September but I will let you know how it goes!

Thank you in advance for your continued help.

Mary Grace
Old 26-04-2015, 16:01   #34

Hello Helia Friends of "Avalon"

Before the latest improvements, a few comments... I do not know why FP chose 1/2 chain. I assume it was a good buy... Cruising, there is a distinct advantage to having 100 M of chain and 1/2" does not fall over it stacks, and further is just too heavy. I have put on 10mm, (about 3/8) and it is perfect. I have already been out and anchored in 3 to 1 scope outside of the tangle of crowded anchorage in 20 M of water, a couple of times, so had 60 M out. (Painted Markers on the chain)... 33 kg Rocna.. If the wind came up, I had the option of running out more to sleep well. For a hurricane doghole, I also have a second hook, 20 kg Cobra on 30 M of 10mm chain and 100 M of nylon.. Unlikely to need it, but.....

Another comment, I am going Hydraulic. Mine has the push me pull you Teleflex steering and it is fine. However, there is a half a spoke of play in it, after an estimated 10,000 NM (commissioned on the other side of Australia plus my travels) and it turns as the autopilot is engaged. They call it the wheel of death jokingly. Hydraulics have NO play and two Delivery Skippers have said they prefer the new F.P. Hydraulic. Total cost of the upgrade <$3000, and I think a worthwhile upgrade to the best cruising cat for the money that I have seen.

Latest: I am going LI Lithium batteries eventually for an improved charging time and efficiency improvement of about 30%. My Company have installed and monitored about 100 Lithium installations to date, very efficient and will save me about 150 kg sort of 350 lbs estimated. However, my Euro Varta batteries are all good, like load tested almost as good as new, and resting state an hour later of 13.1 volts. Hard to throw them away so I may persevere with them another year.

Goal is two days in total luxury without charging, ice maker, fridges, freezer, all the normal super luxury. When I do need to run the genset, I am doubling up the charging with another 80 amp portable system, and possibly adding a 5th Varta 4-D 150 AH in parallel. It is not an issue in the three months of super hot weather as I run the genset for air conditioning relief, but now in the cooler season it is silly to have to run it every day in moderate weather. No issue, runs everyday in 40 C weather (100 F and I can't sleep well) about three months a year here in the tropics but the other 9 months a year it is a shame to run it everyday. I will add another portable charger (also programmable for Lithium) for shorter run times, and use the Varta a bit longer unless my Supplier comes up with some super special on about a 500 to 600 AH Lithium set. I also have to overcome a few minor technicalities on the DC to DC Lithium algorithm in sizes appropriate but it is all do-able. I am in another industry (not to mention please do not ask) this is not commercial info for you, but I do have significant exposure to Lithium and Battery Management Systems with all the safety devices like BMS run Low Voltage Disconnect, manual reset for the LVD, and DC to DC charging systems for the unique Lithium charging rates. I will keep you posted, may change over sooner..

When my Bimini Cockpit enclosure wears, I will do a hard fibreglass dodger and fixed front windscreen with Sheet and Halyards slot at bottom and sides of roll down canvas and glass. Solar mounted on top then..

Right now I have added more solar for when at anchor, and might get two more, pictures below... At anchor, boom swung over out of the way, two 120 watt folding panel systems that fold up to about a briefcase size for storage. Clamp meter measured amperage was about 1.4 amps at 7 AM and about 10 amps at noon from each. Waterproof plugs inside the rear transom on each side, pictures below. Solar spread on Bimini top, and one folding set on cockpit roof in front of main track..

Also maybe notice the fishing cutting boards and BBQ mods to rear transom, all very useful.. Picture of plugs, panels, below...

Kind regards, Helia 44 "Avalon"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar 1.JPG
Views:	554
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	100985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar 2.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	100986  

Name:	solar 3.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	100987   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 4.JPG
Views:	530
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	100988  

Name:	solar 5.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	100989  
Old 06-05-2015, 21:53   #35

Alright, for those of you that have the earlier Helia, no we did not get hydraulic steering, but here is a BIG BONUS...

I don't like scrounging for diesel, high pilings, bad locations, greasy hoses, in remote areas I just like having plenty of diesel... Under your port aft queen bed is the main diesel tank. Pictures below... Under your starboard queen bed, have a look, that large mystery fiberglass smooth huge locker void IS ACTUALLY ANOTHER TANK WITHOUT THE LID...

The early Brochures said Diesel 470 litres (larger option) and the option is already cast into the hull with a 10-12 mm thick reinforced diesel tank just like the other side. Now here are some important tips for you:

1) Option was discontinued in later models as the extra half ton made it overweight with the larger Charter and Baggage allowance. However, I will never be that loaded (count the people WOW) and I will leave with the Aux full and come back with it empty.

2) Top lid is 6mm alloy plate. Sealed down with Diesel proof sealant (you can find the brand and type in big tubes, lap of lid is about 80 mm over the lip recess of the tank.

3) Important Baffles have to be attached by bolted together with flanges welded onto the underside of the lid. You cannot MIG/TIG the whole thing together as it will not get down the companionway...

4) Pictures of patterns below, all have to be bolt together in 6mm alloy plate, baffles have to slot interlock for rigidity and not only flange bolt together but also flanges welded on the underside of the lid so the whole thing can flat pack to get down into the cabin. All Baffles have to be about 50 mm from the tank edges, then hole are optional but not necessary IMO.

5) Too much work to put in a separate set of sensors floats and gauge for fuel, so I am just going to put in a transfer pump and litre counter. I can do timing on a trip to come home with the aux tank near empty so weight for day sailing in not an issue...

Here are pictures of the existing port tank, the starboard tank void, my patterned lid, my baffles patterned and interlocking hanging in place...

There will be more improvements pictures coming. Hydraulic steering (in process copying size of French gear 3 turn lock to lock in Australian gear with lighter pressure 4 turn lock to lock and Garmin reversing pump for Autopilot interface), spinnaker re-rig of prodder and more...

Maybe this will be made a sticky so it is not lost in time. Otherwise my efforts to help you with Helias, will be wasted and will be lost in the backlog..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TANK 1 (Copy).JPG
Views:	498
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	101521   Click image for larger version

Name:	TANK 2 (Copy).JPG
Views:	453
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	101522  

Name:	TANK 3 (Copy).JPG
Views:	489
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	101523   Click image for larger version

Name:	TANK 4 (Copy).JPG
Views:	458
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	101524  

Old 07-05-2015, 09:22   #36

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

WOW! This additional fuel capacity would be an awesome improvement to cruising range and peace of mind. We are very interested to hear the details and hopefully see some photos of the progress and the finished product. I promise you; your efforts are not wasted, Helia owners are listening. My 3 questions are: 1. How did you verify the thickness of the fiberglass walls? 2. Will this double fuel capacity? 3. Will you add a separate fuel filler for this aux tank?

My second comment relates to steering. We have hull #4, have replaced the Teleflex steering once, and will have to replace again soon. I spoke at length with Bob Young from Hydrive US; he was very helpful. He said that the hydraulic steering could have "feeling" and could be turned off or on mechanically or electronically. There can be no feedback to the wheel when on autopilot. Since Hydrive is in AUS with you then I assume you are doing Hydrive hydraulics and I anxiously await the design and specs of your system.

Helia, we owners really appreciate your interest in helping the community with continued improvements to our boats. Thank you, thank you.

Frank on Helia, Let It Be

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:35   #37
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Let it be with TMM in the BVIs?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:40   #38

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Yes, Monte. My wife and I own Let It Be and have been with TMM for 2 years. We have been very pleased with TMM. Our boat finishes it's charter career in August and we will spend this hurricane season in Puerto Rico turning her into a liveaboard.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:43   #39
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ok cheers Frank, I met some guests on board when they ferried my bowsprit back to TMM for Tony. Thanks for that!
Old 10-05-2015, 16:56   #40

Helia 44 "Avalon" here, Hello "Let it Be" comments in bold and italics in the context of your Post for others convenience as follows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
WOW! This additional fuel capacity would be an awesome improvement to cruising range and peace of mind. We are very interested to hear the details and hopefully see some photos of the progress and the finished product. I promise you; your efforts are not wasted, Helia owners are listening. Thank you for the kind works of appreciation, I will keep on going for now... "Avalon" for the favourite harbour 30 years ago, party town, off Long Beach on Catalina Island, our youthful "happy place" Avalon.
My 3 questions are:
1. How did you verify the thickness of the fiberglass walls? What tipped me off was when I measured the inside of the volume carefully, it matched the other tank in Brochure stated volume of 470 litres! Then, I have an "Insider" for information in Fountaine Pajot, and they confirmed that was the 'option' for larger tankage in the early Helias, hmmmm. Exact volume, colour, finish, it was cast in the hull piece that was set in for two tanks, port and starboard. Then in the cutout of the original port tank where the hoses come through, I could feel it was about 8 mm thick of solid FRP fibreglass just in the flange above the tank.. Then probing down flexing it I could tell it got thicker into the tank area. I used to be in the Yacht Engineering field, fixing and equipping yachts, and am 100% confident I confirmed that IS an auxiliary tank exactly like on the port side..
2. Will this double fuel capacity? Yes, 940 litres, a major advantage and will up the yacht value many times the cost of adding the improvement..
3. Will you add a separate fuel filler for this aux tank? No, for KISS Engineering (Keep It Simple, Stupid) heh he, I am not going to double up on sending units and gauges. I will just install a litre counter and 12v transfer pump, a couple of hundred dollars. I will even make it simpler and put an auto shut off filler hose like I already use out on a property for tractors, on an extra few metres of fuel hose, and pump it in the existing port tank filler with a litre counter. Plan on my trip to end up back home with my normal tank full and the aux starboard tank empty. Hmm, Kiss Engineering.

My second comment relates to steering. We have hull #4, have replaced the Teleflex steering once, and will have to replace again soon. I spoke at length with Bob Young from Hydrive US; he was very helpful. He said that the hydraulic steering could have "feeling" and could be turned off or on mechanically or electronically. There can be no feedback to the wheel when on autopilot. Since Hydrive is in AUS with you then I assume you are doing Hydrive hydraulics and I anxiously await the design and specs of your system. I have already contacted Hydrive and installers with a few progressive planning emails and phone calls, and taken pictures of the French hydraulics for cross reference. It will be confirmed in haul out in 10 days with rudder measurements, but it seems the two possible choices are on the shelf in stock. NOTE: I thought the steering was a little heavy on the new Helia I saw, might just need to be broke in, but.... It is 3 turns lock to lock where my Teleflex system is 4 turns lock to lock (two turns each way)... On the Hydrive I am am going 4 turns lock to lock for a little lighter helm.. Probably not a lot of difference, but my choice... And would be my suggestion.

Further, my current Autopilot interface will be with a 12 v Garmin reversing pump, on the same hydraulic Ram, wheel will not move when on AP so it is not the "wheel of death" heh he

Helia, we owners really appreciate your interest in helping the community with continued improvements to our boats. Thank you, I was in the Business many years ago, again my hobby gone mad. I am applying that experience to this as it is my driving nature to try and improve things to imaginations of performance and cost effectiveness for ease of Cruising Lifestyle. I think all the things in this thread are important, should be important, to F.P. and also Helia Owners. Thank you, thank you. You are welcome, for even one that appreciates the effort, I will persevere... God Bless...

I would think the Moderators would make this Thread a Sticky for others benefit. Otherwise it will all eventually be lost... New tank feature being fabricated now, finish pictures and details in about three weeks on my return from down south..
Helia 44.

Frank on Helia, Let It Be
More to come, courtesy of "Avalon"... Things coming like doubling of the normal Varta battery system to (2) 400 Amp Hour Lithium set ups. Each 400 AH Lithium will equal the existing 600 AH Varta set. Independently switched, manual battery switches for safeguarding the Lithiums to any potential catastrophic electrical failures, one battery switch to switch loads, one battery switch to direct charging. No questions yet please, it is coming but not right now. I have done about 100 RV installation in Business and am up on all the automated electronic systems, but choose to do the switching manually to protect the batteries from any catastrophic failures as separate battery banks.. Why? If LIthiums go too low in voltage they cannot be recovered. Look, it will be with BMS systems, monitors running LVDs, and DC to DC chargers, but details later when it happens, no questions now please... Helia 44 "Avalon"
Old 13-05-2015, 17:42   #41

Hello Helia Friends, "Avalon" here,

Large projects in process:
The doubling of tanks per above posts, a nearly free effort for early Helia Owners.. As it is already cast into the hulls...
Doubling of battery power in (2) 400 AH Lithium banks, with a weight savings of about 40 kg and double the hold-over power as a 400 AH Lithium pack is = the 600 AH stock Varta.
Conversion to Hydraulic Steering, likely Hydrive..
and more to come...

I am on my way down to the Sanctuary Cove boat show, and meeting with Sailmaker and Hydraulic Specialists during a haul out for bottom job and measure up of rudders... Gone about two weeks, and the tank lid with plumbing and bolt on baffles are being made at my Stainless/Alloy Manufacturer.. Hopefully will come home with Hydrive Hydraulics, and Garmin 12v reversing pump Autopilot interface... Will keep you posted.

Here is a very easy but important and useful upgrade. The stock VDO voltmeter in the panel is just no accurate enough to run your stock Varta Euro batteries efficiently. They are heavy duty AGM house bank batteries, but should not be cycled to low. From running over 5000 batteries in the RV Industry of all know types and brands, over 20 years, I am an expert on batteries and solar power systems of all types. I even have over 100 Lithium applications running now. I do empirical testing of all battery types and charging systems in an ever improving Research and Development program. This is not commercial, I am not selling anything, this is just a help to you:

You should not run the Varta down below about 11.5 volts or you are shortening their lives. You should also not leave them discharged at that cycle low for very long. You could get a 1000 cycles out of them if you do not run them too low, and that is maybe 3-4 years. They are seemingly a very good battery, and one of the reasons I am hesitant to convert to Lithium as they are very good right now. My set of Vartas are about $2500 and I hate to waste them, I need to find a home for them before I go to Lithium. The stock VDO gauges do not give you the precise measure you need, so I replaced it with this really good digital gauge. It gives me the detail I need, and matches the other gauges and fits the hole, at under $20 on Ebay.. It is the bottom gauge in this picture, Red readout, a nice upgrade and improvement:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Volt meter.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	102059   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-12-31 09.47.51.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	102060  

Old 17-05-2015, 12:24   #42

Hello Helia Friends,

Having just seen the first SABA 50 in Australia, in haul out at Coomera and again in the water before delivery to Sanctuary Cove for the SCI Boat Show starting on the 21st... I have added to the list of improvements I feel would enhance the lifestyle of the Helia.

Right now my list of big changes to come or in process includes:
  • New diesel tank (already cast in the hull on early Helias.. Description is in this Thread of the bolt together lid and baffles being made now, bolt together, slotted interface of baffles, because it cannot get down the companion way any other way..
  • New double of battery power and efficiency with (2) 400 AH Lithium battery banks and charging systems. This will also improve the solar efficiency by 30% as we see the near zero resistance Lithiums taking a lot more solar on the low light condition in the 100 systems we have done so far in the RV range. I will use make before break battery switches to keep the banks separate and insure their long life, with BMS and Monitors and DC to DC and LVD disconnects, means double the power and a 40 kg weight savings...
  • Hydraulic Steering, Hydrive set up for measure of the rudders to go a four turn lock to lock system, again details in this Thread. Will choose the equipment after rudder measure up on Wednesday next...
  • Maxi Spinnaker is built and being delivered at the SCI Boat Show, to compliment the two smaller cruising spinnakers I have now. Pictures of the spinnaker rigging on the prodder is below. Spinnaker halyard is done with internal rigging per an earlier Post by freeing up a slot by externalizing the topping lift. It worked well. 150 Genoa Screecher is moved in on prodder on stronger block, pictures below.
There is more, but I am adding a couple of things I have decided down here at the early stages of the boat show and the Gold Coast Marine Expo at the three major Boat Yards here in Coomera.
  • I am thinking of getting a flat cut 150 Genoa in Kevlar, to sheet inside the rigging, to increase upwind efficiency. This will increase the power of the slot to the main, and help point a little higher. Definitely will improve upwind, a racing trick they are using, saw them on the Brisbane to Gladstone race in the multihull division..
  • I am considering power furling of the head sails... Hmmmm
  • A Tigress Windlass, 1500 watt, would be more appropriate to my "all chain road". Anchoring out in deeper water in crowded anchorages means I often am in 50-60 feet and the 35kg Rockna and all chain means the Lofrans Caiman is working a bit hard. A Tigress is more appropriate.
  • And here is a big one: I am going to replace the davits with ones about 2 feet higher than the current Helia ones. Fountaine Pajot have greatly increased the davits on the SABA (pictures below) but made a critical mistake on the Helia. I do not think they even went quite high enough on the SABA as they are obviously concentrating on the preserving the view from the covered outdoor living area. I am going to raise my height by at least 600-700 mm on the Helia. Fountaine Pajot: How you get around not obstructing the view is to have two positions, one lower at sort of half mast position for the view out the back and coastal cruising, and one higher position for off shore. And really: On the motor end of the dinghy,a 100 kg limit for each davit is too light. My starboard side davit has sagged about 75 mm on the outboard motor side from deforming the fibreglass mounting area. I will build a larger set, probably in boxed alloy frame powder coated, with reinforcing down the inside and outside of the aft structure of the Helia similar to the SABA 50 shown below.... Pictures below of the SABA, very nice but I would like them a tad higher yet, and certainly about that 600mm higher than my current Helia height..
Now, I have decided that a SABA 50 would be more appropriate to the extreme gear that I would like to have aboard. However, I have not seen a Maestro yet, the one down here in Australia is the Charter version and for me has too many chopped up cabins. I have not seen a SABA Maestro, and it would be a year wait to get one. Yes, it is almost too much gear for my Helia "AVALON", but I am going ahead as it is the kind of equipment I want for cruising... SABA? My impressions will be formed after the Show, but while it would carry the extremes of gear better, it is trending on being a little cumbersome for a couple to cruise with IMO, with regards to getting in and out of Marinas and so on.... I might end up there yet, I mean if the SABA 50 here was a Maestro and available (it is not and already sold) I would have a hard time containing myself.. Life is great adventure, but I will finish the high end of gear on the Helia for now... The SABA? Maybe.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3047 (Copy).JPG
Views:	443
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	102258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3054 (Copy).JPG
Views:	494
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	102259  

Name:	IMG_2921 (Copy).JPG
Views:	403
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	102260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922 (Copy).JPG
Views:	435
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	102261  

Old 22-05-2015, 14:40   #43

Well, in the Haul Out yard of BoatWorks... The cleanest and nicest boat yard I have EVER seen. 22 acres of Engineering Services and hard stand, Ensuite bathrooms for Live-a-Boards, a great restaurant, free laundry, now new 100 ton hoist, and more. Even Walt Disney's new Pirates of the Caribbean boat is hauled here.

The Hydraulic Steering for AVALON is underway. Hydrive did not have a unit that fit the helm as it was too long, Gateway Hydraulic had a smaller one that could possibly have fit, but no stock. We ended up going Capilano the Canadian hydraulic Company. I have had them before on a Pilot House Cutter "Elle" with inside and outside dual hydraulics and it was good. Stock was good, and it is already on board. I can adjust it for the amount of turns or resistance from about 2 to 4 turns lock to lock for the resistance and feel I want on the helm.

The hydraulic driven Garmin, has a 12v reversing pump, and it integrates into the system with a new common ram of very high quality. I will post picture when it is finished, hopefully next Monday-Tuesday as we are running Kevlar reinforced hose that has to be ordered in. There is an empty tube connection in the cockpit fridge area, take out the fridge and lift the floor, and it goes from there to the steering on the starboard side. There are actually two empty tubes there.

I will post the Contact details, parts, and you will be able to get a kit from my source, details posted with the pictures. I get nothing out of this but a very cool hydraulic drive, and your good will,

Kind regards from Helia 44 "AVALON"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3044 (Copy).JPG
Views:	338
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	102583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3045 (Copy).JPG
Views:	364
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	102584  

Name:	IMG_3084 (Copy).JPG
Views:	411
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	102585  
Old 26-05-2015, 23:11   #44

Hello Helia Friends,

Hydraulic Steering upgrade is done, and I am back in the water... Headed north...

Gen 4 Mega AquaLuma 18 Blue LED underwater flush mount lights (four of), installed.. Overkill but cool, very cool...

New 240 v 95 litre/hour water maker on board, a good buy at the Show...I could not resist, will be installed..

Saildrive Service, new seals, coating on, all good... And bottom job... Micron 66, hulls polished... better than new...

Aux fuel tank, additional 470 litres, in process.........

After the Sanctuary Cove Boat Show, after four visits to the SABA 50, somehow I think my Helia 44 is the right size for me... Single handling. The SABA is Magnificent, but a bit daunting like a bit intimidating and my Wife is a bit hit and miss as to whether She is there or not. When it comes down to the lone Ranger, the Helia is comfortable to Single Handle. I am not saying I will not upgrade, but not for at least a year as no Maestro SABA 50 is coming to he Southern Hemisphere to see. Noumea, Whitsundays, all in the cards... On Helia 44 "AVALON"

The Hydraulic Steering is done! A win-win, and better than I expected. I have done Capilano, as I have had it before... I mean it has adjustable turn ratio, as it is the only one that fit well that was in stock and it feels good. Adjusted to 4 turns lock to lock, and it feels about the same as the Teleflex steering only no play in it. Pictures below...

Capilano adjustable turns, 4.1 systems 1250V, 1275V
Marine Control Systems Ram (very impressive high grade)
Custom black Plexiglass adaptor for Helm cover
Kevlar reinforced hoses.
Special fittings, and set up for Owner Bleed and fluid add if necessary.
Rudder angle position indicator on Auto Pilot
Garmin Interface runs good, with the existing Garmin Autopilot reversing hydraulic pump.

I am told I can now easily upgrade to a "Ghost Control" something like that where I do not have to use the autopilot to change course, I just turn the wheel to the new course and the autopilot is right on it.... Hmmm Maybe, probably, just too easy. I am going to sea for a few days and will decide.

You can get a kit from him with routing instructions, dimensions, hose lengths, all the bits... We have done the pioneering now... You are welcome and God Bless All of you....
Gary at MARCON Marine Hydraulic Steering
www.marinecontrolsystems.com.au is his email

I am told this is now the best equipped Helia 44 in the Southern Hemisphere, maybe the world. Hmmmm.. I am also told I should just stop revealing the upgrades, as I am overcapitalizing, and most would not be able to do this... Sorry. AVALON is for me, three spinnakers now with the new big race one delivered to the Show.. I am off.. Good Luck to all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3148 (Copy).JPG
Views:	391
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	102764   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3149 (Copy).JPG
Views:	384
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	102765  

Name:	IMG_3153 (Copy).JPG
Views:	418
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	102766   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3154 (Copy).JPG
Views:	519
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	102767  

Name:	IMG_3178 (Copy).JPG
Views:	366
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	102768   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3084 (Copy).JPG
Views:	349
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	102769  

Old 27-05-2015, 06:26   #45
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hah, buying any boat is overcapitalising! Have fun with Avalon. Messing about in boats is what it's all about
Keep up the good work detailing your upgrades, they're much appreciated.

Tags
men