Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-03-2015, 20:12   #16

Re: Improvements to the Helia 44

Here is something noteworthy, the slugs I saved from cutting out the windows...

If anyone wants to know why the Helia, Fountaine Pajot in general, weighs more and costs more than a Lagoon for instance, here are the slugs. 15mm of glass, the white line in the middle is the poly corelock and the rest is beautiful solid glass layup...

The rake in the front is very useful, I buried here bow due to bad timing on my part coming out over a bar, and the blue water came up the front of the bridge deck front windows and put about a foot of water over the coach roof into the cockpit. No problems, just poor timing on my Seamanship, and I should have let that one pass holding my position and tried to time it better... Oh well, no damage, just a little salt water, but a good reason I like the rake on the front of the bridge deck windows.

This gives me great confidence in the F.P. to go anywhere in the world with the advances in the new Helia 44. They are built very strong, this cut out is 15mm thick, no voids, both the same, even lay up and solid glass.. I have had many yachts whose HULLS were not this good... The corelock is well saturated and a strong layup before and after. Coring hulls for thru-hulls I have seen a lot of cores, but this is one of the heaviest and strongest I have seen.. !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hatch insert (Copy).JPG
Views:	518
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	99745  

Old 05-04-2015, 15:11   #17

Hello Yachties,
And this is a good one for you to Fountain Pajot, as You monitor this Forum.. Please to not argue if you do not believe it is a relevant issue, about half of all Engineers and Health Workers do, and I have proof in my own situation...

There is much concern about the Magnetic Flux around Power Substations and the like. Most view the transformer magnetic flux as a health concern. It is fairly substantial Magnetic Pulse on the frequency of the Hertz, so 50 cycles in Australia, 60 cycles per second in America for instance. Now here is our problem, a fairly BIG SOURCE is the 80 amp Victron Charger, whether in charging mode OR on Inverter Mode. It is about 4 inches from your head in the Owners Stateroom, like just on the other side of the bulkhead from your head ALL NIGHT AS YOU SLEEP... Hmmmmm Magnetic on a HUGE scale... Now they put a small piece of magnetic shielding in mobile phones.. Hmmm This is about a 1000 times greater.

Proof of the Magnetic Flux is I have very vivid dreams sleeping next to it, very vivid when it is on, and little or none when it is not on, it is undesirable Magnetic excitation on my brain. Others have headaches. The Pioneer of the local Brisbane Company that puts in Shielding for Substations and MRI places it to stop the Magnetic flux, suffers from headaches and migraines if he works putting in the Sheilding near transformers. I am guessing half of the Engineers and Health Professionals believe this to be a problem and a health risk. Even though it is only 80amps in our case, that is a VERY large source only about 100mm from your head for 8 hours a night..

The Fix: I am installing three layers of the special steel Shielding material, glued together, larger than the Victron, per his calculations based on the Amperage of the unit. On my own I am also putting on a 1.2 mm layer of lead behind that, to stop RF radiation from the unit. Fountain Pajot, this is a poor place to put that large of a Charger/Inverter, inches from the Owners head.

The Victron is on a plywood base, larger than it. It comes off the bulkhead with only four screws. Moving it would be a HUGE JOB because of cables and wiring. When I unscrew it, it drops down and you can attached the Shielding screwed to the bulkhead, I am allowing at least 100-120 mm all around larger for the Shielding, then will mark and drill and screw in the plywood backing that the Victron is mounted to. You do not have to open up or move the Charger, it is screwed to the plywood backing that is maybe 100 mm larger than it, just unscrew the backing from the bulkhead...

Get instructions from the Shielding Company. In my case, the layers are to be put together with an adhesive like no-nails. I may coat it to stop corrosion (paint). And it is a plus to ground it to the batteries...

If any of you want, I will get specifications on the Magnetic Shielding special steel... Note: this is NOT a Faraday Cage, it is specific to this Magnetic Shielding from transformer sources... The lead is probably not necessary, just my own invention.

Downside? Cost, $300 in material, and about 25 pounds.... Benefit? Piece of mind, better sleep, and potential health benefits. Will field my research information if anyone is interested.

Another improvement on my Helia 44, still the best yacht on the market for the money, that I have seen...

Old 05-04-2015, 20:50   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44'

Helia 44, we have a 4 cabin Helia and no one is sleeping in the aft starboard cabin, but I certainly understand you concern with the magnetics. If I had someone in that cabin I would also want insulation!

You have shared some excellent thoughts and I especially like the way your salon hatches turned out.

Helia 44, can you please give me additional information about the 2 Lewmar hatches you ordered and installed?

Can you me the actual specs you used when you ordered your hatches and if you ordered them directly from Lewmar?

Also who or what type of trade person actually installed the hatches for you? Was it a fiberglass person? Not sure who to seek out for this work.

Thank you very much for your help and for sharing your ideas,

Mary Grace
mgstich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:55   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Helia 44. Interesting discussion. What's the estimated or measured flux (in milligauss) at 10 cm from your invertor when running at 100%?
Old 06-04-2015, 11:12   #20
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Here is something noteworthy, the slugs I saved from cutting out the windows...

If anyone wants to know why the Helia, Fountaine Pajot in general, weighs more and costs more than a Lagoon for instance, here are the slugs. 15mm of glass, the white line in the middle is the poly corelock and the rest is beautiful solid glass layup...
I think you will find the L450 is about the same price as the Helia and about 5T heavier
Old 06-04-2015, 15:07   #21

Location: Liveaboard cruiser. Home port Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvee View Post
Helia 44. Interesting discussion. What's the estimated or measured flux (in milligauss) at 10 cm from your invertor when running at 100%?
I agree.
Helia 44: Would it be a good idea to measure the flux instead of using "vivid dreams" as "proof"?
Old 06-04-2015, 16:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuvee View Post
Hello Cuvee,
It is only the back side of the Victron charger that is a concern. I do not have access to a sensitive and sophisticated meter for the flux... Thirdly, I think it would be more on the charge mode than the invertor mode... I love my Helia so much that even through I have a waterfront home and my own dock, I will spend the night down on "Avalon" now and then. I am sure the magnetic flux does exist, as I am not prone to psychosomatic influences but I have forgotten to turn the charger off and tossed and turned at night only to get up and find it on. It does affect me...

Others comments: I am not going to get into discussion on this as to whether or not it is a health risk. The point of my Thread is to offer some help with the innovations I have come up with that improve the Helia 44. This is not a Thread on the 50% of the population that believe that magnetic flux is a problem or not. The fix was simple, and I offer it as an improvement on "Maestro" model of the Helia 44 where the 80 amp charger is just inches from your head. Risk is possible cancer, and I thought the fix was simple enough others might benefit. I would not live under High Tension power lines either... Another long winded argument that Authorties could never admit to.. hmmmm Sort of like aluminium cookware and potential links to Alzheimer's causes. The point is the fix is simple and not expensive, so why take the chance.

Kind regards, Helia 44, more to come...................

Mgstich: I will have an answer for you, on how it is done (by ourselves) and on ordering the Lewmar hatches, but I am short of time right now... Look for it this week... Kind regards, Helia 44
Old 06-04-2015, 17:50   #23
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds fair enough. Other options might be
a timer to turn off the shore power and inverter at bed time
Laying down with your feet aft
A foil hat ( they make nautical themed ones as well)

https://amjadofarabia.files.wordpres...ward.png?w=595
Old 06-04-2015, 18:25   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44'

Thank you, Helia 44. I look forward to hearing the answer... doing the window myself sounds daunting, but ...
mgstich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 19:11   #25

Boat: Helia 44

I have looked at this.

The average exposure under high tension power lines is up to 40micro Tesla. Blind studies over decades have shown no additional response to brain cancer. This is very different to mobiles in which RF frequencies are pumped into the ear of up to 2W. Again 10 years of studies have shown no adverse response but there is a reasonable claim that there may be with time given constant use.

The drop of in 50Hz driven power is substantial with distance. The inverter flux at the point in question is around .5 micro Tesla. Compare this to a standard vacuum cleaner which gives off around 20 micro Tesla. A standard air conditioner unit similar. Also if you are disposed to this sort of issue beware your microwave which potentially gives off large energy in a different part of the spectrum.

The number of people concerned by this would be around 0.01% of the scientific community, but if you are going to put a Faraday cage around your inverter there are a number of other devices which you should also consider enclosing but as someone else said a faraday cage around your head is the most fool proof solution.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:22   #26
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hi sailors,
I have a Salina, but as most of these issues are more of a FP or just plain cruising issues, I have read it all with interest and pleasure.

I also have a fridge compressor cooling problem, there is a built in vent, but nothing to let the air actually circulate, there should be an opening through the bulkhead to force or suck air in or out. Poor design.

I have mounted 9 x 84 Unisolar flexible panels on my roof, you can walk on them, even drop tools, if you manage to damage them, only the damaged part stop working, the rest keeps outputting, similarly when partly shaded.

My Salina has all round corners, cabinets, table etc, I assume that FP went to the sharp edges to reduce prices and be more competitive.

A big gripe I have is with the Goiot hatches, they might look good, but they let water in even if they are shut and not locked down properly.
What has one got to do in the tropics when it rains???
Also, both the small ones without the aluminium frame and the big ones, are VERY sharp, me and a few guests had left bits of skin on those nasty sharp hedges, until I went around with a file and emery paper and rounded all of them. They still hurt, so perhaps I should put a bigger radius. BUT, why do they build them like this? In many countries there is a 3mm minimum radius on sharp hedges.

I installed two plastic DORADE style vents under the two pulpit seats on the bows, they do help with circulation of air inside the hulls.

Another mod I did is to fit Luff reefing lines and brought them to the cockpit together with the leach ones, now I don't have to go to the mast to reef, actually I even manage to reef going downwind.

Any questions or pictures, please ask.
Old 06-04-2015, 22:52   #27

Had goiot hatches on two boats now. None of them leaked. Being a Salina I suppose it is out of warranty, so I would replace the seals and see if that fixes it. All of mine are rounded. No sharp edges.

The reason why FP do not fit luff reef lines on second and third reefs is they hammer against the mast when the main is fully up or on first reef. It is one of those ease of use for 10% of the time as against painful noises 90% of the time.
Old 06-04-2015, 23:16   #28
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Had goiot hatches on two boats now. None of them leaked. Being a Salina I suppose it is out of warranty, so I would replace the seals and see if that fixes it. All of mine are rounded. No sharp edges.
Are we talking about the same hatches? Mine are round low profile.
They only leak if not completely shut, and from new, nothing to do with the seal. There is no 'ventilation' option in the rain.
Perhaps they now make then with rounded edges. Mine were new in 2010.

Quote:
The reason why FP do not fit luff reef lines on second and third reefs is they hammer against the mast when the main is fully up or on first reef. It is one of those ease of use for 10% of the time as against painful noises 90% of the time.
Here also not sure if we talk about the same set-up, mine lie against the sail, tight, they cannot reach the mast.
Old 06-04-2015, 23:35   #29

Quote:
Are we talking about the same hatches? Mine are round low profile.
They only leak if not completely shut, and from new, nothing to do with the seal. There is no 'ventilation' option in the rain.
Perhaps they now make then with rounded edges. Mine were new in 2010.
Not sure how you get hatches that do not leak when open. The Helia has hatches that are protected by the coach roof. Other than that I just switch on fans or air con when heavy rain occurs.

Quote:
Here also not sure if we talk about the same set-up, mine lie against the sail, tight, they cannot reach the mast.
Normally lines run through slip rings connected to reef points by dyneema. How do your ensure yours lie tight against the sail?
Old 06-04-2015, 23:57   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Hello Cuvee,
It is only the back side of the Victron charger that is a concern. I do not have access to a sensitive and sophisticated meter for the flux... Thirdly, I think it would be more on the charge mode than the invertor mode... I love my Helia so much that even through I have a waterfront home and my own dock, I will spend the night down on "Avalon" now and then. I am sure the magnetic flux does exist, as I am not prone to psychosomatic influences but I have forgotten to turn the charger off and tossed and turned at night only to get up and find it on. It does affect me...
Got an Android or iPhone?

Plenty of apps to measure magnetic fields. Here's one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...detector&hl=en

Let us know the field strengths you get!

Tags
men

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: