Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-11-2010, 19:38   #46

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
I visited the factory before I bought my boat and the message that I got was that they changed (improved) their production process with the introduction of each new model. I doubt that they change it in the life of a model.
I don't know whether the Lavezzi hull was infused but the older ones were definitely vacuum bagged. The Lavezzi seemed to fit between the old and new model range, neither one nor the other.

The Mahe has a single piece hull infused in a female mould. The deck is infusion molded in a double sided mould, also one piece. Sugar scoops and keels are also seperate builds.

My understanding is that the recent blistering was caused by using a resin that was a bit too viscous and did not wet the outer tie layer adeqately. It is not osmosis as you would get with older boats.

All my local shipwright and surveyor contacts say that if a peel is done correctly it will be "better than new". If you can determine whether it was a professional job a "peeled" boat may be better than one that may have some latent issue.

Old 16-11-2010, 09:27   #47

Boat: Alura 30
I think the only issue with this is that your boat is going to be heavier probably by 500 lbs. let us know what happens.
Regards.
JC.

Old 16-11-2010, 11:16   #48

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I agree that the peel and reglassing will add weight. The Mahe is one of the lightest Cat's in it's class, I think we can take the extra pounds/Kg without a problem. For me, I'd carry less water. Since I have a water maker, it will not be much of a hardship to shed the extra weight if it was necessary.
Old 16-11-2010, 11:42   #49

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Thanks everyone,

I've just had confirmation that the boat has had a full peel job.
I also spoke to a friend who owns a yard here and they told me that they have a client who has a two year old FP with blistering.
They also said the warranty should be 5 years not 2 years.
I also have copy of the warranty in French so I'll try and get it translated at work today.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:18   #50

I Am starting to wonder how many Mahe owners are having blistering problems?
Old 16-11-2010, 16:38   #51

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 hull 157
Better Than New

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
I visited the factory before I bought my boat and the message that I got was that they changed (improved) their production process with the introduction of each new model. I doubt that they change it in the life of a model.
I don't know whether the Lavezzi hull was infused but the older ones were definitely vacuum bagged. The Lavezzi seemed to fit between the old and new model range, neither one nor the other.

The Mahe has a single piece hull infused in a female mould. The deck is infusion molded in a double sided mould, also one piece. Sugar scoops and keels are also seperate builds.

My understanding is that the recent blistering was caused by using a resin that was a bit too viscous and did not wet the outer tie layer adeqately. It is not osmosis as you would get with older boats.

All my local shipwright and surveyor contacts say that if a peel is done correctly it will be "better than new". If you can determine whether it was a professional job a "peeled" boat may be better than one that may have some latent issue.
I would agree if you were just peeling the gel coat and skin out mat (do they use skin out mat below the waterline?) to expose the first layers of structural glass reinforcing, then epoxy coating over that you may be better than new, but many people talk in these forums of peels "to the core"...that sounds a lot more serious than just a bonding with the gel coat problem. I hope everybody reading will lets us know what their experience with old and new Fountaine Pajot hulls has been...we might not ever discover the "why" but at least all we owners and potential owners will eventually discover "which" models and years are affected... cheers
Old 16-11-2010, 17:00   #52

Blistering

Dragon Lady the hull warranty is 5 years.

On my hull they have taken off the gel coat and the tie layer under that, about 2-3mm max. The glass under that looked very good (I have a little experience with glass) and the shipwrights made the same comment. I am happy that in my case the problem, like beauty, is skin deep.

The hull below the waterline is solid so there is no question of exposing the core.

The shipwright does not think it will add much weight once you factor in what has been shaved off.

Cheers
Old 16-11-2010, 17:20   #53

Yes thanks for that, the new hull warranty may be 5 years however the warranty I have been sent appears to be only for two years.
It is in French and I am relying on a translation from someone who is not boat savy.
It is signed by Mr Fountaine himself and referes to standard warranty conditions so I think I will ask the factory for an English version.
I hope the repairs on your Mahe go well and yes there are several people whom have contacted me indicating that their Mahes have bistering.
Old 17-11-2010, 12:52   #54

I am pretty sure that the warranty on the Hull is 5 years.
Old 17-11-2010, 13:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I am pretty sure that the warranty on the Hull is 5 years.
Yes I believe you are right my friend says that repairs should also have a 5 year warranty but the one for the repair job says only 2 years.

There is also I believe a specific and detail repair process which must be followed, tested and signed off on to receive factory backing.
Old 19-11-2010, 08:49   #56

Beware! If you are looking to buy a used Fountaine Pajot, there is probably NO guarantee on the remedial osmosis work done for the first owner. FP have apparently excluded this.

Fountaine Pajot would really help themselves (and us) if they can let us know what they have done to stop the blistering/ osmosis from happening.
Old 20-11-2010, 21:12   #57

Thanks I'm going to verify this with FP. As for what action they are taking, they appear to be doing a gelcoat peel or strip on the worst boats and reglassing using a barrier coat.
I have been told here is a defined process for doing the repair with strict quality checks. I have been promised a copy but it may be subject to copyright so I don't know if it can be posted on this site.
I will report what I find out as soon as I recieve it.
Old 20-11-2010, 21:59   #58

I have not seen the spec but on my boat, after peeling, it gets a layer of cloth/mat laid up with vinylester resin (I don't know the weight of cloth), faired with a vinylester filler coat(analogus to gel coat), two coats of epoxy primer/barrier coat and then antifoul.

I did a bit of research online as I did not know what vinylester resin was vs polyester and epoxy. It seems it is basically a derivative of epoxy resin that has better flow characteristics. It is very water resistant (ie: resistant to osmosis) and also stronger and withstands flexing better.

Seems to backs up the shipwrights claim that it would be "better than new".
Old 21-11-2010, 22:37   #59

Yes it's also a lot more expensive than polyester resin, hence it is usually only used as a barrier coat rather than for the whole layup.
Old 22-11-2010, 06:50   #60

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
There is a very detailed spec. for fixing the problem. Vinylester is easier to use then epoxy and is much cheaper than epoxy. The spec requires stripping the gelcoat into the glass a mm at a time, once it is down to good glass it must dry for at least 15 days then be checked with a specific moisture meter every 4 feet along the hull until dry enough for the reglassing. Having spoken to a few experts, all agree that the boat will better and stronger than the factory built boats. I would not have a problem purchasing a peeled F-P boat. Especially if it comes with a Marine Surveyor's report stated what was done and that the repairs conforms to F-P repair spec's.

Tags
fountaine pajot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: