Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-06-2009, 07:05   #31

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Daniel
I am hull #27, I think JC is 24 or 25. All the blisters were on the inside of both hulls, but most were on the Starboard side under the salon. As I recall, 2 had water and were about 30 to 50 mm in size, the rest were very small almost like pock marks. Would like to hear from anyone else having similar problems.

Would like to add, I would have opted for the 30 hp engines if they were available when I ordered. I'd rather have the extra power if and when needed, and cruising along at 8 to 8.5 knots isn't bad either.

Scott

Old 17-06-2009, 08:37   #32

Boat: Alura 30
Scott.
Just came back from the boat.Most of the blisters are on the inside of the starboard side under the salon.It looks like there never was any primer applied.....It looks like I will be on the ground for a while.I am talking to Philippe about it.I counted 16 blisters.
JC.

Old 30-06-2009, 17:18   #33

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Guys

Going back to the topic of blisters from a few weeks ago. There was a reference to the fact that there was no primer applied. Perhaps I am being a bit dumb but I did not think there would be any connection between a primer paint and blistering? I thought the gel coat was supposed to stop water and the blisters would be because of a fault in the gel coat or gel to laminate bond.

I have just slipped Reflexion and they have found some blisters so I need to start talking to the agents.

Was there any view whether the blisters you guys found were from issues laying up that area of the hull or a more systemic issue that is going to present ongoing problems?

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-06-2009, 17:44   #34

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Martin
I believe your right in that the bond may not have been as complete as we all have hoped for. The primer is just adding an additional barrier to prevent water intrusion, I'll know better the next time I have the boat hauled, but until then I can only hope that the new primer coat is doing the trick.
Any and all feedback is helpful on this subject.

Scott
Old 30-06-2009, 18:39   #35

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
blisters

[quote=MKB53;299097]Guys
I have just slipped Reflexion and they have found some blisters so I need to start talking to the agents.

Martin
Now you have got me worried. I did not think to ask the yard to check for blisters when WW was slipped, so I do not know if she is also affected. Where were the blisters located? Can you describe for me how they look like so that I can look for them? If possible, please post pics or PM them to me. Please PM me on outcome of your talks with agents.

Cheers!

JohnC
Old 30-06-2009, 19:07   #36
DtM

Martin,

Please let me know what the EC marine response is to the blisters.

Sounds like FP have stumped up for those in the US.

Are you still out of the water at Bayview ?
Old 30-06-2009, 21:32   #37

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Daniel
I think you will find that EC Marine is now called Multihull Solutions. The website www.fountainepajot.com.au cannot be loaded.

Cheers!
JohnC
Old 30-06-2009, 21:43   #38

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Daniel

Still on the slip but should be back in the water tomorrow.

John
I did not see the blisters before they opened them up. Many were only in the gel layer but there were a couple where the water had intruded into the glas layer.

I will be down at the slip later and will ask them whether they would have noticed any had there been some on WW.

Cheers
Martin
Old 30-06-2009, 22:00   #39
DtM

John,

I am not sure what the correct status of Multihull Solutions is. My research shows it only as a registered business name in Queensland.
A further search shows that Multihull Solutions is registered to Greensphere Pty Limited.

My view is that EC Marine P/L is still the party with whom I will deal.

I am sure Mark watches this site so maybe he will clarify.

Martin, have you had any response from Mark?
Old 02-07-2009, 12:12   #40

Seadog
On our boat the blisters are mostly inside the starboard hull,we found about 20,some of them small and then some others about 3 to 5 ",when you start grinding very lightly you can see water starting to come out,and if you go deeper you get into some delamination,so you have to go deeper untill you find some sound fiberglass.I have seen that on many boats,the job needs to be done right so it won't happen in the future when my boat is not anymore under warranty.I am talking with FP so they can take care of the problem.
JC.
Old 02-07-2009, 13:23   #41
DtM

JC
Are you talking direct to France or to your agent (PG ?)

What reactions are you getting ?

d
Old 02-07-2009, 13:49   #42

d I was talking to my agent and now is talking with FP people in France.Can't say anything yet,we have been going back and forth for 2 weeks now.I will keep you posted.
JC.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:58   #43

hi JC

Thanks for your post regarding the blisters, if it is possible can you tell us what the Yard would do it to prevent more blister? and how much will cost you (FP) for the entire repair? thanks again, hope you can sail soon.

lavi08
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18   #44

lavi08
At this point I can't tell you what is going to be done to my boat.As things unfold I will post in the thread.
JC.
Old 04-08-2009, 15:16   #45

Boat: Mahe 36
Primer

I just pulled hull number 56 out of the water for a bottom paint and discovered lots of small holes or voids in the original primer coat.

I'm not really sure what could have caused this. I did have a diver clean the bottom recently, I hadn't been able to get out to the boat for several months and to my shame there was a lot of barnacle growth (those critters seem to grow mighty fast here) so I wonder if the primer coat popped off when he was cleaning them off the hull, seems unlikely but it's the only thing I could think of.

Now I'm wondering whether to apply another primer coat or just fill the holes and put a couple of coats of anti-fouling paint on. I've read of some osmosis issues on boats without the primer coat so I'm concerned just covering the holes could lead to trouble down the road.

It looks like the original primer is not available in the US, Boero Delta 2000, so do I pull off the original primer coat (sounds expensive) or will a new primer coat bond to the old one ok, should I be worried about this, has anyone else put new primer on top of an older coat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 006.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	9182  

Tags
mahe 36

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: