Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 04:42   #1

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hellia 44 droping the main and reversing question

I went on a test sail of a Hellia 44 pre Evolution, when it was time to drop the main I was surprised the FP rep climbed up and he had to pull the main right down from the top it did not take much effort and it came down quite OK is that normal? if so does the same apply to the new FP 42? I ask because on my Lagoon 400 I just release the jammer and whoosh down it comes. Second question when reversing the FP man had to try and hold the wheel with his knee to stop the rudder swinging over whilst he used the asymmetric thrust of the engines to guide the craft back in to the berth, on my L400 I simply lock the wheel with the friction nut which the FP lacks, I have been told the later models have hydraulic steering which holds the wheel in the last position until you turn it, is this correct.
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 22:15   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Hellia 44 droping the main and reversing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I went on a test sail of a Hellia 44 pre Evolution, when it was time to drop the main I was surprised the FP rep climbed up and he had to pull the main right down from the top it did not take much effort and it came down quite OK is that normal? if so does the same apply to the new FP 42? I ask because on my Lagoon 400 I just release the jammer and whoosh down it comes. Second question when reversing the FP man had to try and hold the wheel with his knee to stop the rudder swinging over whilst he used the asymmetric thrust of the engines to guide the craft back in to the berth, on my L400 I simply lock the wheel with the friction nut which the FP lacks, I have been told the later models have hydraulic steering which holds the wheel in the last position until you turn it, is this correct.
I would say both of your observations were accurate. I have an older Helia and the sail used to be slow to come down. I decreased the halyard size (14mm down to 12) and that mostly solved the problem. Others have added intermediate cars which apparently helps even more. On the helm, yes the cable steering has the ability to kick over in reverse. I also had lots of play in the steering that I couldn't get to the bottom of, so I switch to hydraulic and play is gone and the helm is steady in reverse. The helm in reverse wasn't a big issue for me, but the play was terrible.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2018, 23:59   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
I would say both of your observations were accurate. I have an older Helia and the sail used to be slow to come down. I decreased the halyard size (14mm down to 12) and that mostly solved the problem. Others have added intermediate cars which apparently helps even more. On the helm, yes the cable steering has the ability to kick over in reverse. I also had lots of play in the steering that I couldn't get to the bottom of, so I switch to hydraulic and play is gone and the helm is steady in reverse. The helm in reverse wasn't a big issue for me, but the play was terrible.
I think FP had a fix for that steering play, a local Helia 44 had the agent work on it. But not 100% sure.
Old 22-09-2018, 02:17   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
I think FP had a fix for that steering play, a local Helia 44 had the agent work on it. But not 100% sure.
The L400 has the same issue when reversing. the nut does not really lock the wheel, it is always safe to use your knee in addition.
Old 22-09-2018, 05:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
The L400 has the same issue when reversing. the nut does not really lock the wheel, it is always safe to use your knee in addition.
OK fair enough, I have experienced no problems with my friction nut it locks the wheel rock solid.
Old 22-09-2018, 05:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Always going to be an issue if companies put engines of of rudders, really cant understand any sensible boatyard doing that.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote