Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 09:01   #1

Boat: FP, Helia 44 2016
Helia to put in charter management

We are, ugh, I know, Newbies. We fell in love though as did everyone here. We have been looking for a boat for a couple of years, and after going to Miami strictly sail, liked the Helia 44, best by far. We to offset costs, unfortunately we feel that we have to put one in charter for a few years to offset the cost. I would really like advice on companies, if you have done this, and how the boat is holding up or held up. How much charter business vs. other sizes do they bring? I so far feel that a smaller company that gives me more options, and maybe lets me help with booking, etc. is optimal. Weeks don't matter as much, because, we won't be able to use many at first, but flexibility does. We would like to charter belize, if possible, but are open to other areas. Any advice is appreciated.
lsymens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 19:28   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44
Re: Helia to put in charter management

Isymens, if you still need advice or suggestions about placing your Helia in charter then please PM me. We have had our Helia hull #4 in charter with TMM in the BVIs for 2 years and have been very happy.

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 20:24   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

There's a good thread on here regarding putting yachts into charter and the end results. It would seem the only way any saving could be made is if you use it for the maximum amount of time each year,4-8 weeks, and compare that to the cost you would have paid at full charter rates for the same period. This suits some people that like to spend 6 weeks or so each year sailing around the BVIs or Belize or wherever. There's quite a few cf members with yachts in charter management (a few with TMM as well). So if you can afford to spend $8K/week for 6weeks/year it might be a viable option. You might even be able to negate some of those costs by taking friends and asking for a share of the costs. Lots of different options on how the contracts work. Some you buy the boat and get an agreed return of around 45% and still own the boat at the end. Some you pay half the boat cost up front and take the boat at the end. For some the loss helps decrease annual income tax so there's additional savings. I'd suggest if you can afford the time and money to charter a new helia for more than 6 weeks/year, are in a high income tax bracket and also have the time and money to travel and make use of some charter companies international fleet swap plans, then putting a yacht in charter management might be for you.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2015, 02:06   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lapari 41

We did the same thing a few years back. We purchased a FP Lipari 41 from atlantic-cruising.com after seeing it in the Annapolis Fall Boat Show. We've had it in charter now for 3 years in their Cruise Annapolis Fleet. They have done a great job with bookings and management of the boat. Their Tax incentive program help us get into it. I believe they have bases in Bahamas (Abaco), BVI, Charleston, New Port.
Old 29-04-2015, 12:38   #5

Thank you for the replies. We are still looking at options. We know there is no way to make money or probably even break even on a boat. I have calculated and calculated. Just something about having them, we have owned 2 power boats and know how costly they are but would just like to find the best option we can.
Old 27-06-2015, 21:25   #6

Boat: Pearson Ensign , Sea Pearl 21

So where are you at on this decision? I am going with AYC for a FP 40 in charter and am looking forward to the small business aspect of owning and operating the boat and the benefits from that. Would be great to compare notes, offline if anyone prefers. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 05-07-2015, 11:07   #7

We are still looking at the Helia 44, The New 40 looks like a great option. We will definitely put the boat into a charter business, to offset costs. I hope the next post I make is to announce the boat we have chosen.
Old 19-12-2015, 11:05   #8

Just an update. We chose to go with a new Helia Evolution 2016 to be delivered in January 2016. Time cannot pass fast enough until then.
Old 20-12-2015, 14:53   #9
DtM

Not long now then.

Congratulations.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 20:55   #10

Isymens, congrats! You are about 3 years ahead of us in your plans. I hope we
Can learn from your experiences on this venture. I joined this forum to research
The exact same game plan with the exact same boat. My biggest question is which charter company to choose that will maintain the boat well and be good to work with.....Good luck with yours! Which company did you choose and why?
Paupau70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 11:43   #11

We Chose TMM to purchase and charter with. Why? We had used them in Belize, and appreciated how thorough they are about check in and out, going over charts, etc., at the time not knowing we would be owners eventually. Also very upfront and honest about things we should not put on the boat when using in charter, increasing our maintenance costs. They are a smaller and very personal company. We talked to several owners as references. We started out purchasing with another company, but things were not going smoothly, so decided on TMM.
Old 28-01-2016, 18:55   #12

Isymens,

Hope everything works out for the best for you all and TMM proves to be a good choice. I will hit you up down the road for advice.
Cheers and Happy Sailing!
Paupau70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter, men