Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 15:20   #31

Boat: HH55 Catamaran
Re: Helia Owners, pulling the stick on mine, any suggestions for add ons and goodies

So I'm still a new sailor and sail boat owner, don't kill me for this question: If I have an electric winch, why shouldn't I use the slow speed to raise the main the last foot? Why is it proper to manually crank the last foot?
Old 04-11-2014, 15:25   #32

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Helia Owners, pulling the stick on mine, any suggestions for add ons and goodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgstich View Post
So I'm still a new sailor and sail boat owner, don't kill me for this question: If I have an electric winch, why shouldn't I use the slow speed to raise the main the last foot? Why is it proper to manually crank the last foot?
If you crank the last foot by hand you minimize the chance of breaking your top halyard pully. Electric winchs make an enormous amount of power. If they are not used properly their is a great chance of breakage.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 15:32   #33

Boat: HH55 Catamaran

That is what I assumed, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thank you.
Old 04-11-2014, 16:05   #34

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

mgstich, As the OP, here is my take:

Cotemar is pretty well rounded from what I see... I really do not know how he can have so many Posts and be such an Authority on Internet links to things regarding sailing.... And still have time to sail... heh he..

Now I am the Original Poster,(OP for you as a Newbie), and here is my take on this with a bloody big and heavy full batten mainsail on my Helia 44:
Cotemar is right, and maybe I am lazy... Main flogging and all, I have Never raised the main the last foot or two with the winch handle. My Helia is a 2013, so going on two years... While the mast was down (going up today at 2 PM today Australian time) I stripped the masthead to look at the sheaves... Perfect...

Now the issue is, what if it happened, and I am convinced it could be done in place without pulling the stick. If Solar UV broke down the plastic of the sheaves, then I will have to replace it.. Look, I will no doubt do it when I re-rig in 6-7 years from now, I will replace them with custom alloy sheaves (sp>?) But for now, I am really not sure I could even raise it the last little bit to flatten out the luff, it is working very hard on the slow speed of the winch.. Anyway, Cotemar is no doubt technically correct, but I have not done it yet and the they are perfect at year two. They are also out of the sun for the most part...

Anyway, my input. The work I save every time grunting to raise that last little bit, might be worth the effort to change them if I needed to.. heh he... My first fast and slow power winch on a main in forty years, in 12 major yachts, and wow am I enjoying the heck out of using it...

Helia 44
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 20:44   #35

Boat: Garcia 45 - being built for April 2019

Whats involved in Pulling the Stick on a Helia. Cost and setup? Perhaps in FL?
Im hoping to take a Helia inland on the circle loop, for fun. And don't want to impale the bridges..
Is it easy to take the mast and standing Rigging out and store it for a year in FL?
peteh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 21:09   #36

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteh007 View Post
Whats involved in Pulling the Stick on a Helia. Cost and setup? Perhaps in FL?
Im hoping to take a Helia inland on the circle loop, for fun. And don't want to impale the bridges..
Is it easy to take the mast and standing Rigging out and store it for a year in FL?
Alright Pete, no worries...
While I am in Oz now, in the early 1990's I was in the Florida Intercoastal for a couple of years and sailed out of Daytona north and south....

Now on pulling the stick, if you choose to, I cannot comment on whether you should or not but it would be easier.. But do not fear pulling the stick. It is an electrical unhook behind the Main Salon settee possibly, but mostly in the starboard generator locker in those boxes on the bulkhead between there and the anchor locker.

You mark the turnbuckles on the deck with electric tape, so you know how far to wind them back on. You leave the main on the boom and unload the whole thing down onto the coach roof. With a Pro, about two hours start to finish, by yourself maybe three with a helper. Tape up and label all the wiring, leave the halyards in place inside the mast and securely tied off, and easy-peasy she comes down no worries.. Get it all ready, turnbuckles slacked off and main boom off and you minimize the crane hire to about an hour minimum...

Allow maybe a half hour to stand her up and the three hours to re-rig, maybe another hour to hook up the wiring and all done. You have nothing to fear.

Kind regards, Helia 44, still the best Cat in the world for the money!!!
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote