Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2014, 06:15   #16

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo
Re: Helia Owners, pulling the stick on mine, any suggestions for add ons and goodies

I have tried a lot of different radar reflectors.

The best ones all around are the Tubular Radar Reflectors

1) They are not expensive
2) Easy to install
3) Make you look like a much bigger boat on the radar
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubular Radar Reflector.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	90256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubular Radar Reflector1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	90257  

Old 24-10-2014, 09:38   #17
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Helia Owners, pulling the stick on mine, any suggestions for add ons and goodies

I'd google radar reflector test but my internet is slow. From memory those French tube type rate very poorly though at around ,2 m2 as opposed to 2-3m2 for the larger ones

Old 24-10-2014, 10:28   #18

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahè 36

Mahe owner here...

I pulled the stick on ours to replace a blown plastic sheave - yes - a 15 dollar part cost almost 1200 to replace. I suggest replacing the plastic sheaves with anodized aluminum ones. Also - to allow safe work on the mast top cap, I had them install two camel backs at the top of the mast (one each side) so I can clip into them and release the pressure on the top cap when needing to work on halyards or remove the cap next time.
Old 24-10-2014, 18:13   #19

Hello SailorTonyB,

I have been to St Augustine Fl, many times.... Cool place, full of history, and the old Fort.. Not for 25 years or so, but spent a couple of years based in Florida cruising the inter coastal waterway during the Hurricane season...

Tony, how old is your boat? The reason I ask is the rigging has to be replaced at sort of 8-10 years by Insurance Laws here, and yes plastic sheaves deteriorate in the UV.... And Yes I am with your suggestion, but I do not know where to get them on short notice.. If your boat is like ten years old, I can replace mine when I re-rig as this is a 2013 Helia 44...

I mean I like your suggestion, but it would be hard to get the sheaves on short notice, and if yours did not fail for 10 years then I will put it off... Keep it in mind, but put it off and collect the sheaves before I re-rig.. OK?
So how old was yours before they failed???
Old 24-10-2014, 21:48   #20

Boat: csy 37

Mast steps.
Old 24-10-2014, 23:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Mast steps.
Wow, OneStepCSY, Daytona..... My Daughters were born in Daytona, twins, I know it all well.. But not for what 22 years ago??

Anyway, I have always had mast steps, but I am not sure they are applicable to a Helia 44... Maybe only a few at the top for working at the mast head...

Wow, Daytona... Curiosity has had me wanting to go back and have a look for a long time. Any way, thank you for the thoughts.. BTW, the Helia has a two to one purchase on the main, a clean easy shot to the mast head with a power winch. You would not put mast steps except at the top..

Kind regards, Helia 44 in Australia..
Old 25-10-2014, 01:03   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Gotta ask - why is a 0ne year ol;d boat getting the mast pulled out?
Old 25-10-2014, 02:02   #23
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He did mention in the original post...freak VHF cable/conduit chafe...
Old 25-10-2014, 15:03   #24

Boat: csy 37

Helia, my suggesting mast steps is a bit of an inside joke. I only owned one boat with mast steps, and in five years never had a single reason to go up the mast. All my other boats without mast steps? You guessed it....
Old 25-10-2014, 15:12   #25

All Groovy Daytona.... I did not get the joke...

Cotemar: In deference to Monte, who may be right on the area of the radar reflector.... Those tubular ones look really good for low windage. I might look into them, and if inexpensive you could put a few on the triangulation rigging for low windage and multiplied results heh?

Maybe you could give me name on the ones in the picture and I can google a cost/source.. ?

Kind regards, Helia...

Note, you are a Moderator, I was thinking of a sticky to add a lot of innovations and inventions I have incorporated or am in process of, on the Helia.. Things like improving the convection heat displacement for the refrigeration, and added matching Lewmar hatches in the main salon for ventilation as F.P. have not "Tropicalized" the Helia... These would be valuable insight and Engineering for other Helia Owners.. If I start it would you make it a "Sticky" like "Innovations and Inventions for the Helia 44"
Old 25-10-2014, 16:34   #26

Monte, can you switch to your backup tricolour without going up the mast? Just trying to imagine the actual setup.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-10-2014, 03:12   #27
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi D&K, I bought ours from accastalige diffusion, but I did see it online from a Spanish chandler as well at about 200 euro. Our standard nav lights are on the bow, but the reflection from the stainless bits can make night vision a bit annoying so I wanted to add masthead nav lights as well. I can't remember the name and internet is slow but take a look at the accastalige diffusion site. It has a special reverse polarity switch that makes the existing anchor light cable work as 3 way instead of just on off, so to activate the nav lights turn on the anchor light switch and toggle the switch to nav. To activate the anchor light, toggle the switch to anchor. The great thing about it is that the anchor light has a photovoltaic cell so when you are anchored just leave it on and it will automatically turn on at disk and off at dawn.
It's not quite as bright as our existing lights but still quite good (all LED)
Wiring is fairly quick and easy. There's a lot of other options such as strobe if you could be bothered running another cable up the mast, which we didn't do.
One of the suppliers on CF also sells them in the USA, it might be Neptunes Gear..
I think the Atlantic odyssey specified back up nav lights as part of the safety requirements, but when I asked them about it they told me it wasn't really necessary. I think the arc also specifies them but I doubt they enforce it.

Edit..just found the light...
Optolamp amazonia ... bluemarinestore.com
Old 27-10-2014, 11:32   #28

The boat was only one year old when this happened. We have the boat in light charter service. It has a powered winch with a 2:1 purchase on the main sail halyard. I suspect it was over torqued and blew out the sheave.

The main point to consider with my response is the camel backs. If I'd had a method to safely tie off at the top of the mast and pull the top cap, I could have replaced the blown sheave easily and cheaply. The top cap design has all of the sheaves attached to the top cap and you can't release the halyard pressure if you're hanging from it.

I got my sheaves from US Spars for about $35 usd. It took about 6 weeks as they had to mill and anodize them since the stock was depleted at the time of failure...always seems to work that way, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post

Tony, how old is your boat? The reason I ask is the rigging has to be replaced at sort of 8-10 years by Insurance Laws here, and yes plastic sheaves deteriorate in the UV.... And Yes I am with your suggestion, but I do not know where to get them on short notice.. If your boat is like ten years old, I can replace mine when I re-rig as this is a 2013 Helia 44...

I mean I like your suggestion, but it would be hard to get the sheaves on short notice, and if yours did not fail for 10 years then I will put it off... Keep it in mind, but put it off and collect the sheaves before I re-rig.. OK?
So how old was yours before they failed???
Old 27-10-2014, 11:41   #29

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorTonyB View Post
We have the boat in light charter service. It has a powered winch with a 2:1 purchase on the main sail halyard. I suspect it was over torqued and blew out the sheave.
This is the key take away.

Most charter companies disable the electric winch as this happens a lot and gets expensive to fix. Sucks for the charterer, but is good for the boat owner.

Most cruisers never raise the main sail to the very top with the electric winch. They hand winch the last foot.
Old 27-10-2014, 11:47   #30

a.k.a. "the proper way of doing things"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

Most cruisers never raise the main sail to the very top with the electric winch. They hand winch the last foot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: