Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2015, 12:18   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Helia Main Halyard

As part of our outfitting, we're making some changes to the rigging/mainsail to hopefully be able to actually drop the main easily and not have to go to the mast and pull down the sail, or rig a downhaul as I mentioned in the Rig and Sails thread.

As part of this, I ordered a new smaller diameter main halyard with a dyneema core to help reduce friction in the setup, primarily through the Spinlock stopper (14mm line through a max 14mm stopper is bound to have some friction!). The Owner's Guide for the Helia lists the length of the main halyard at 55m (180ish feet for us Yanks) and that's what I ordered.

WARNING!!! This is too short! After running the new line all the way through the mast, I discovered that it barely will wrap 3 times around the winch, leaving only about a foot of a tail, not nearly enough.

So I went ahead and measured the halyard that came with the boat. Lo and behold, it was actually about 63m/207ft! I'm not sure why there is such a difference, but consider this your heads up if you ever consider replacing your main halyard.

David
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 15:47   #2

Boat: Lightwave 45
Re: Helia Main Halyard

The moral of the story is never trust an FP owners manual. I told the rigger I wanted a 10ml dyneema halyard exactly the same length as the one on the boat. Works like a dream.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 16:46   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Definitely a lesson learned! Hopefully anyone doing the swap on their own in the future will see this and not make the same mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 17:28   #4
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Not too big a deal really so long as it reaches the clutch. I allways pull our main up by hand till its clear of the lazy jacks anyway. Its faster and easier if you have to ease out or pull faster to get the batten to clear the lazy jacks. Good point on measuring yourself though, Lagoon have given me 3 different measuremants for air draft so I think ill be measuring myself if I ever have to go under a low lying bridge!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 21:09   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Luckily you have a dyneema core. Obviously it's too short, but have a rigger taper the core back 10' or so and it will increase the useful leingth of the line by 20'. More than enough

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
halyard