Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-10-2012, 10:44   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44
Re: Helia Detailed Review

I was lucky enough to sail on the boat in Istanbul. She was very quick compared to the Lagoon 420 we chartered earlier in the year, perhaps 1.5 to 2 knots faster.

Overall, I was very impressed, although there are a few small details which could & should be addressed by FP.

Upstairs is very cool, but the seatback needs raising. I totally agree about the sharp edges. The veneer will wear very quickly, then peel off and look awful. Come on FP, this needs to be addressed! The idea is great on paper, but not at all practical. I am also a bit concerned about the countertop finish as it appears to scratch easily, but it does look good new.

The space on the aft deck has to be seen to be believed - way bigger than the L421 and incredibly sociable. The fore & aft table on the aft deck is easier to get in and out of than the "normal" U shaped athwartships design.

There are so many different areas to sit that with 10 on board, the boat won't feel overcrowded.

I agree with the comment about the steering feeling light. There is zero feedback, but I suspect you would get used to it quickly.

Instrument positioning is better than the Lipari, but the Garmins are not as easy to read as the Raymarines. The design of the helm position is probably as good as it gets. Unlike the L450, the helm can see and speak to someone in the galley and the aft deck. Looking forward to putting an owners version into a bareboat fleet in Tortola in the Spring.

Old 18-03-2014, 16:17   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
The price difference between 40 HP and 55 HP is around 4.000 € if I remember correctly. 40 HP does the job but if you have to motor against choppy sea and wind 55 HP would pay off.
I have ordered another Helia for our fleet and this will be 55 HP, so yr call..

Yeloya
Hello Yeloya, most interested in your experience on the Helia 44 as I am thinking of replacing my Lagoon 400 with the 44, the one I am interested in is in production has the 55hp Volvo, cannot change that, seems a bit of a overkill, I have the 40HP Yanmar's in mine wonderfull engine. I would be gratefull for your thoughts on how the 44 would compare to my L400, and any further thoughts on the Helia 44 in general. I have to make a prompt decision as I have received a good offer for my L400. On reading your first comment re plotters auto pilot etc must say I agree with you I have been very happy with the Raymarine gear so much so that I recently upgraded to the latest HD Radar with the new E125 plotters. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter

Old 18-03-2014, 16:50   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013

Hi Peter,

Do you want to change yr L 40 with L 44 or with Helia ??
I haven't sailed any Lagoon other than 450. If you mean an engine for a L 44 (or 440), I would definately go for 55 HP as Lagoons are way heavier than FP's.
Helia is a very good boat and can take you anywhere. She is faster than almost any Lagoon of similar size maybe with the exception of L 440. (I havent sailed this latter but raced against..) She's not really faster than outgoing Orana but definately better finished and designed.
If you have any specific question about Helia PM me.
Cheers
Yeloya
Old 18-03-2014, 17:36   #19

Boat: Lagoon 400

Replacing the Lagoon 400 with the Helia44.
Peter
Old 18-03-2014, 19:05   #20

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

Been on a Helia 44 many times and the Volvo Penta 55 hp with the folding props is the way to go.

With the VP 40 hp you will be using two engines all the time.

With the VP 55 hp you can have good speed on just one engine. when the wind and waves pick up you will have the power you need to get through to the other side.

You can skimp on other things and add them later, but the engines are installed for the long haul, so you only get one chance to make the right choice.
Old 22-03-2014, 04:53   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Peter,
The 55HP performance is as Mark said, we averaged 7kts on the one engine with engine revs between 1800 and 2200RPM depending on sea state weather conditions etc.
We have the Flexofold three blade 18" x 13" props and very happy.

Cheers Gordon.
Old 17-06-2014, 10:55   #22

Boat: Saba 50 planned but not bought yet

Hi Yeloya,

What do you mean by this being challenging? Did you ahem an electric winch or were lazy jacks in the way? Or other reason?
cheers
Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post

Nevertheless, hoisting the main with square head is a bit challenging.

Cheers

Yeloya

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: