Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2017, 19:11   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro
Hatch hinge replacement

Anyone with FP Belize replaced the friction hinges in your hatches yet? I know that the part number for the hatch replacement hinges is Goiot 101708 - Friction hinge pin assy, and the portlights are Goiot 101706 - Friction hinge pin assy. The hatches and portlights are Cristal versions.

So, the internal part of the hinges are actually semi-hard plastic rods, about 1 1/2" long with a longitudinal hole for a hex head bolt and lock nut, and washers. The plastic rod spans the two halves of the aluminum outer casing (hatch cover and hatch frame).

I tried removing one for replacement and the plastic rod is stuck - it will not move. I presume with age it has scared in the hinge, with foreign matter matter (salt, dirt, etc.) adding friction. I'm thinking heat to maybe expand the aluminum and loosen and foreign matter. I don't want to damage the hinge so looking for prior experience notes.

Looking for info from anyone who has actually performed the replacement.

Thanks

Pete
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran
Re: Hatch hinge replacement

Hi Pete, have you been able to find replacement plastic rods for these hinge assemblies? We need some too. Thanks, Dave
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Hi Pete, have you been able to find replacement plastic rods for these hinge assemblies? We need some too. Thanks, Dave
Dave,

I found several in Martinique. I also believe that Rig-Rite carries them as well. They are the US distributor for Goiot products.

I have messaged Goiot about the method for removing the old hinge rods and have not heard back. When I get a chance in the near future I'm going to try heating up the aluminum portion of the hinge to see if that allows me to remove the plastic rod insert.

Pete
Old 05-09-2017, 03:14   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Have you guys worked out how the hinge works. My Goiot hatches have an external hinge where the friction can be increased by tightening a bolt each side with an Allen key. Problem is that the subsequent opening/closing of the hatches seems to make these bolts work loose again so it is no longer poss to keep the hatch open at 45 degrees. Thought I would take out the bolts and put locktite on them. Big mistake. Neither bolt will tighten up anymore so the hatch now flops back or flops closed. Any ideas? Suggestions ?
Old 30-09-2019, 14:06   #5

Hi Pete, did you ever figure out how to get that plastic pin out? I also have the old Goiot Tradition series 34.20 and have stuck pins in both ports.

Thanks,
Michael
THobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2019, 15:21   #6

Michael,

I believe my initial attempts were focused on pulling the hinge plastic bushing outward from the hinge. After I discussed the issue with a mech in Martinique, he indicated that it is easier to push the plastic bushing into the center of the hinge using a long socket about the same size (but smaller than the hinge diameter so as not to get that stuck). The bushings aren't very long and both fit into the hinge center allowing the hatch to pull off.

If you have the replacement bushings, check that both will fit into the center between the hatch hinge part and the deck hinge part.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Old 04-10-2019, 17:05   #7

Boat: 2013 Fountaine Pajot Salina 48 Evolution. Previous vessel FP. Lavezzi. Build number 78.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteatbeach View Post
Michael,

I believe my initial attempts were focused on pulling the hinge plastic bushing outward from the hinge. After I discussed the issue with a mech in Martinique, he indicated that it is easier to push the plastic bushing into the center of the hinge using a long socket about the same size (but smaller than the hinge diameter so as not to get that stuck). The bushings aren't very long and both fit into the hinge center allowing the hatch to pull off.

If you have the replacement bushings, check that both will fit into the center between the hatch hinge part and the deck hinge part.

Hope this helps.

Pete
Thanks Pete.
Excellent instructional information.
While washing my boat recently, I noticed a fair amount of black granular/powdery material around the rim of one of the top ports. Some close examination found the port wobbled on the pivot meaning the bush was disintegrating. If the bush is actually made of plastic, I would suggest that it was used for economy and is the wrong material for the job. Using the correct grade nylon to manufacture the bushes would be much more robust.
I didn’t get time to remove the port for examination but plan to do it in a couple of weeks on next visit to the boat. Future me will report back with findings.
Regards Steve
cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2019, 12:37   #8

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Anybody have any more information on Goiot hinge pin replacement. The 44C hatches on the bow compartments of my Mahe are having the same degradation mentioned in Steve's April post. It appears that the replacement friction pins a rather expensive !
Are there any after market or DIY suggestion ?
Thanx for any help,
Ray
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:19   #9

Boat: Fontaine pajot, levezzi 40

I replaced the perspex in both front hatches on my Levezzi a couple of weeks back and made new pins from “delrin” rod. Turned them to size on a mates lathe and bored the bolt hole. Fitted great , well as good as they were when removed, I don't believe the design took wind loads or age into account. I prop them open with a made to measure wooden dowell, always have .....
Had to remove the allan headed bolts and with a swift crack from appropriate drift knock the pins to centre, hatches fell off.
Pete.
Even Keels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:22   #10

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43

I replaced mine with ss rod. I actually had a piece lying around that was the perfect diameter (like that ever happens!) 7" long and you can use it to drive out the broken parts - after removing the bolts. I drilled and tapped the rod for a single screw in the center so that it cannot 'drift' out in either direction. So far it is working well. My only worry is ss on alum, but so far (~1 yr), so good.
dmtparkerLcsk53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, men