Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2015, 07:17   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro
Goiot 312 Windlass Maintenance

Attempting to service our windlass for first time since we purchased our Belize 43 a year ago. Changing lube oil was no problem. Next step was to remove the drum, then the gypsy and brake and apply marine wheel grease - easier said than done. We can't get the drum to turn to remove it. I've applied copious amounts of PB Blaster - no change. I don't know when the drum/gypsy were removed last. So I have to assume there is corrosion between drum/gypsy and the shaft. Suggestions?

We also now realize that we can't use the windlass in manual mode should there be an electrical problem. We can't turn the windlass with the handle, and there doesn't seem to be any way to release the drum. Has anyone dealt with this in the past?

Thanks

Pete
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:22   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Goiot 312 Windlass Maintenance

The drum should be threaded onto the shaft, and is loosened by inserting the hand lever into the hole in the drum and turning it counter-clockwise. You should be able to put a lot of torque on it with the hand lever and break it loose.

See instructions--http://goiot-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Guindeau-3121.pdf
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:09   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 Maestro

Tried that...bent the hand lever. Tried again and straightened it out again. The hand lever appears to be aluminum. Will look for a longer steel rod to get better leverage.

Any other experiences?

Pete
peteatbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 18:52   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

One of two ways:

1 - Shackle ~18" of slack chain to the hook in the bottom of the chain storage locker (where the bitter end is connected) and run the windlass paying out the chain. When the 18" hits the shackle, it'll break the drum loose.

2 - Put the handle in one of the holes on the drum and do the same as #1, run the windlass (paying out, not in), when the handle hits the bulkhead it'll pop the drum loose.

Do not use the chain gate/pin under the windlass for #1, don't ask me how I know not to do such.

The drum tightens up raising the chain, hence you need to break it loose paying out chain. It's a little scary the first time you do it, but it does break loose. And yes, the handle will bend trying to break it loose by hand, but it withstands the bump at a faster speed.

FYI, I had to replace the clutch face after getting caught in fast current with the anchor in rocks. It broke the plate from the shaft. Hopefully you find everything in good shape.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2015, 08:00   #5

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Might also want to try heating the drum near the clutch location with a torch (or even heat gun if no torch). The metal will expand and contract a little which is often enough to help the connection. In future try to undo the clutch at least once a month keep the metals pieces from "growing" together.

Other possible thing to try (which worked for me a few years ago) was to hit the manual handle with a 3 lb sledge (or other mass item). Works like an impact wrench, which is also what letting the handle bang does as suggested in a prior post. The impact can create momentary loads that have high force but are less likely to bend the handle.

Good luck.

Good luck.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 20:07   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 46 catamaran

Does anyone know where to buy parts for these Goiot windlass?
I am in need of one of the friction washer between the drum and the gipsy.
This is a round disc that looks like a thick grinding disc.
Mine is badly worn and the gipsy slips without much load.
davecalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 04:59   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecalvert View Post
Does anyone know where to buy parts for these Goiot windlass?
I am in need of one of the friction washer between the drum and the gipsy.
This is a round disc that looks like a thick grinding disc.
Mine is badly worn and the gipsy slips without much load.
Several years ago I bought parts from:

Home

If/when you find a source, please share.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Goiot, maintenance, wind, windlass