Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 18:56   #1

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
GARMIN, Second Autopilot possibilities???

Hello Gourmet Yacht Lovers in Fountaine Pajot..

Some help please: I am Single Handling a Saba 50, and need to depend on the Autopilot. This is for seasonal cruising up on the 150-200 islands inside the Great Barrier Reef, sort of 1500 NM range north and south. My Wife is a bit crippled up, so I need to depend on the AP, to the point of running a second one so I can run this fine yacht. In the past, I have found the sum of backup replacement parts, to be more or the same as a whole new system.. Hmmmm????

My current Autopilot, Garmin, has an electric hydraulic pump, running a ram, on the starboard side rudder, cross over bar to the Port rudder. The ram runs off the hydraulic steering as well.

I have a spare hydraulic ram, an LS French one, and so I am thinking of putting in a completely independent Garmin autopilot in the Port hull. Each could free-wheel, it just means another autopilot readout instrument, and electronic compass, and a new electric hydraulic motor running the ram in a closed loop...

I am on the right track? I was thinking easy peasy, turn off one and on the other one. Open one bypass valve, close the other. IYO am I on the right track??

I could fool around trying to replace the components one by one, I am just thinking that in a pinch I could just switch over the secondary. Like faster and easier, than trying to do it in a seaway...

Any comments or help?

Helia 44, now Blessed to have a Saba 50...
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2018, 20:49   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: GARMIN, Second Autopilot possibilities???

Its a piece of cake to switch out any of the garmin components... a few screws and a few quick connect cables. Personally I would just keep spares stored away some place dry and protected from lightning strikes.

Maybe sell the second ram and buy a brand new identical ram as your primary. This is also then an easy swap.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 16:39   #3

Yea, thanks, you have echoed what I was thinking...

The only reason to go independent, was a simple throw of valves and turn it on, where the swap out could mean I was going without an AP until I did the work.

Maybe I can make the modular swap out quick and easy as well..

Regards, Helia 44 now Saba 50
Old 17-06-2018, 19:09   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Having done the swap on the electronics, it’s maybe a 10 minute job. I’ve also swapped the rudder sensor... 10 minute job. I can’t imagine that swapping out a “like” ram would take much more than 10 minutes either plus replacing the fluid.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 20:37   #5

Right Oh Z-Boss, You have convinced me.
I was sort of thinking that way any way.

Running this big of a yacht "Single Handling", I want modular spares for what I consider essential equipment that have no backup. I have them for the Quick Windlass, as picking up 200 ft of 13mm chain and a 100 lb Ultra by hand and chain hooks and winches, would ruin your morning..

Also with the YK3 water maker while heavy duty I want the most vulnerable controls and the bypass instructions for it all.. In the top three is: The Autopilot. The Saba 50 is a big boat to run without the autopilot, again that could ruin your day.. heh he

Tags
autopilot, garmin