Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 23-01-2011, 18:59   #31

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
As for the crankers from the flat earth society that keep bagging the FPs, I have looked all over the internet and asked anyone I could find for evidence of FPs having structural failure or other problems.
You've hit on a very amusing aspect to selecting a boat.

When we first started, I was informed by the clubs 'old salts' that I would be insane to venture forth in something as dangerous as a catamaran. So, as part of my research I spoke to a yacht insurance broker and asked him to check out cats versus monos in terms of safety. Guess what, there's no significant difference (as you'd expect given the identical premiums.

Another chap on this forum boldly stated that FP's were 'Pinto's' and that two had flipped in Hong Kong. I know of every single FP in Hong Kong, and they're all still right side up. As to the throwaway 'Pinto' comment, said expert departed the discussion mumbling something to the effect 'well I've heard that, blah,blah.' No doubt from some equally uninformed windbag.

In any event, and being curious, I contacted a large charter manager in the Caribbean who is a close friend of my cousin. His unvarnished opinion was that production cats were equally good though all were built to a budget so you won't be getting a Rolls Royce for the price of a VW.

So, not only did I obtain a lot of good advice about the boat I got it from people who actually know what they're talking about. As opposed to the self-appointed know-it-alls who to a man, I might add, had never set foot upon a cat let alone sailed an FP.

muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 02:58   #32

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Oh boy... here we go! Lol.

sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 04:35   #33

Boat: Lagoon 410
I agree. Everyone has an opinion. When I ask what type of boating they do, they invariably answer that they never leave the coast. Seems as though they are scared and want us scared as well.
"a boat is safest in a harbor, but that is not what they are for."

I checked a boat out yesterday that had 6 inches of water in the forward crew quarters. They guy told me that he hadn't checked in 3 years. This on a boat that everyone tells me has been well maintained. Everyone being the untrustworthy brokers.
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 21:56   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Regarding kids and cats, as long as they have nice flat decks, then you're doing well. Our son is 6, our daughter 3 months, and they've never known anything but a catamaran. The FPs also have their engines aft in seperate compartments, and that's a nice plus not having antifreeze spilling around in the living compartment when you're doing engine maintenance. It's also nice to know that should you blow an engine hose and your kids are asleep in the cabins while underway they are not in immediate danger from the smoke and fumes venting inside the boat. That's not a small plus in my mind.

But more important with kids are rules that everyone on all boats live by with kids, life jackets on deck underway or at dock or anchor up to a certain age (which you determine). If the rule is like gravity there's minimal whining. BTW, you'll find that the kids you have to worry about the most about aren't your own, but your friends kids who aren't familiar with boats. Have extra life jackets in kids sizes for them as well and have them wear them on the dock or on the deck. From our experience, we've had two friends kids fall through the hatches (they didn't know the screens weren't a solid surface), the life jackets protected them against injury. We've also had two friends kids fall off the boat and swim platform (spinning around too quickly, leaning over too far to look at crabs, etc).
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 18:51   #35

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
Rivers2Seas, excuse my shameless self promotion, but check out my refitted 1995 Athena listed in the classifieds. We have oversized the PV system to handle either a watermaker or freezer and, having lived and worked on this boat for a long time I can tell you it is ready to go, no ifs ands or buts!
sak54757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 18:57   #36

Re: FP Good for Circumnavigation with Kids ?

I typed in the google search engine: Circumnavigating with kids. I stumbled upon your original post! I was so excited to see that I was not the only one wondering the same things as you. Except it sounds like you are 2 1/2 years ahead of us! I am so curious to see what has become of your adventure. What type of boat did you decide on? What has been your experience if you did take the plunge (literally)? What advice would you give us as a family of 6. Mom, Dad and 8, 7, 4, 2 year olds! I could ask a million questions but I will refrain from that initially. How long did you take to find a boat? When did you start the sailing adventure?
Thanks for letting me pry!

Curious Mind
bucketlist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 16:20   #37

Boat: FP Orana 44

You should send the original poster a personal message. He may not be watching the board very much. his last post was in November last year.

People usually respond to a PM.

Good luck
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:27   #38

Boat: Lagoon 410

Bucketlist, YES! we did do it, with our kids, and absolutely loved it and you should absolutely do it, NOW, with your kids. We chose a Lagoon 41 and it was perfect. We had a blog about it (Rivers2Seas sailing with the Modesitt's | The Modesitts' are leaving the rivers for awhile and sailing the oceans). We had to cut our trip short as we also own a river rafting business in Colorado located directly under one of the most destructive wildfires in Colorado History(High Park Fire)and our business was closed for most of our busy season. After the 2012 summer we returned to Colorado (in December) as we are needed here. We had a wonderful time and will return to cruising full time someday. We met some incredibly amazing people that will be friends for life. It is far more expensive, and more work to upkeep than you could ever imagine, but now being back on "land" and "in the city" we dream of getting back on a boat and living on water. Do it now, your kids will never be the same, nor will you. If you have some more questions, please pm me or email: I love to talk about it. Good luck. Seriously, do it now. cheers

Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote

circumnavigation, kids

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: