Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 07:52   #1

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41
FP Bowsprit

This has been mentioned once or twice but I’ve not found any verifiable info. We’re looking at the options for our future 40/42, and the sprit is @7k, but I’ve spoken to Quantum and UK folks who insist there’s no less reliability with an aftermarket sprit kit, and they’ll provide/install for half the price.

Does anybody know why FP runs theirs all the way back under the nets, versus a standard mount off the forward beam?

Regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FP Bowsprit

Possibly to prevent this..

Hoping there is already a fix out there. I am currently sailing in the Atlantic en-route from the Chesapeake Bay to Southern Florida. I installed a bowsprit with dyneema stays and was sailing under my code 0. I noticed the pole lifted up quite a bit. I furled the sail and realized the bolts that hold the front fiberglass walkway (that leads the chain forward) had separated from the front cross-member. The fiberglass had failed on both sides. Photos attached. I did the best I could and cleaned up the broken fiberglass, but now the walkway flexes and lifts. I tried the cod 0 again just to see what it looked liked and it seems to be twisting the crossmember all the way to brackets that attached to the hulls. Has anyone else installed a bow sprit and used a code 0 or asym on it? Has anyone else experienced this failure? Any ideas or experiences would be a huge help. I will arrive in Florida soon and need to make a fix.

For photo's go here..
[url=http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?7134-Bow-Sprit-Code-0-on-Venezia-42-walkway-failure]Bow Sprit / Code 0 on Venezia 42 walkway failure[/url
]

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:13   #3

Re: FP Bowsprit

Odd that my search didn’t show that post.

I see he wrote, “IT looked like the hardware had been over-torqued and may have crushed the core of the fiberglass and that would have reduced it's strength. ”

The engineering loads are definitely a concern, although there are probably thousands of aftermarket kits installed that function without mishap.

I have time to keep searching...thanks!
Old 03-03-2018, 13:03   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
This has been mentioned once or twice but I’ve not found any verifiable info. We’re looking at the options for our future 40/42, and the sprit is @7k, but I’ve spoken to Quantum and UK folks who insist there’s no less reliability with an aftermarket sprit kit, and they’ll provide/install for half the price.

Does anybody know why FP runs theirs all the way back under the nets, versus a standard mount off the forward beam?

Regards,
Keep in mind that price from FP includes the sprit, a furler, a halyard, and extra winch, turning blocks etc. As well as the labor to install it all.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 13:21   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
For photo's go here..

[url=http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?7134-Bow-Sprit-Code-0-on-Venezia-42-walkway-failure]Bow Sprit / Code 0 on Venezia 42 walkway failure[/url
]

Can anyone get that link to work??
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:02   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post

Regards,
The FP factory bow sprit is the best, IMO. No guy wires to the lower forepeaks that not only are a point of failure and water ingress, they continually are in the way of the anchor bridle. Plus the factory bow sprit offers a solid walkway from the chain locker to the forestay.

Again, just my opinion.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: FP Bowsprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Copy and paste it into the main search page on Bing or Google and it'll give you another lead which takes you to it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 14:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
Keep in mind that price from FP includes the sprit, a furler, a halyard, and extra winch, turning blocks etc. As well as the labor to install it all.

Jay
Now that’s info I didn’t have. Thanks!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:16   #9

Boat: 2022 Leopard 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Try this...

Bow Sprit / Code 0 on Venezia 42 walkway failure

Tags