Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 15-05-2006, 08:56   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 37
I have to agree that their layout and feel is nice, but I will be buying another older boat when I replace my Catalac, and thus would not buy a secondhand FJ.

Old 15-05-2006, 11:41   #32

Boat: Alura 30
I understand.Thanks.

Old 18-05-2006, 00:35   #33
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Jean,
Im at the FP factory dock in La Rachelle now, sitting in my new fp ATHENA, #215 the last one to be built by the way. I have done a tour of the factory and maybe even seen your boat, the new infuision method of building the boats are said to be stronger and yet still light. I have been sailing around the area for the last few few weeks just checking it out and the boat is very easy to sail & handels very good, & fast I got just over 12 knots with 20 knots of wind,at one point(for a moment)- (i know that is hard to beleave but the boat has, no water or anything -empty-bare), but mostly getting 8 knots or a little over.The quility seems good, but I suppose time will tell how she holds up.

The boat is full of unused conduct to all areas to make running wires & ect easy, the bottom of the hull is solid fiberglass so if you do run aground it has some striength. I will be putting a transduser & dyna plate thru the hull next week and will see how thick the glass is. The people here at the factory are very helpful, nice and service is great. I bought the boat in Nov. last year, but have only just now came over here to pick her up, and the factory has been very good to us, not charging for dockage, and doing lots of little favors for us. The town here is really beautful & I will post some pictures as soon as I can.
The RPM pannel on the Yammar was not working right & i mentioned it to them & in the morning & we went to lunch , came back a few hours later & it had been replaced, along with a few other minor things. I did put my first scrach on the front hull about an inch long & the factory came & fixed it like new, I did not ask them to, I just mentioned that I did it. So seems like the factory really cares about service.
I have a hugh amount of work to do to get her where I feel she needs to be, "safe & confotbule" and of corse, thats gonna take longer & cost more than I expected. The boat is set up for coastal cruising, not really offshore work, soooo- so much needs to be added/changed to make her "Sea Worthy" in my opionion, although the factory people sail the boat "as is" to any distanation in the world to deleaver it to you.
One just left last weekend for New York with a factory crew.Seems like all the employees really like there job & thats nice to know.
Ram
Old 18-05-2006, 06:35   #34

Ram I envy you right now,I am drewling.Thanks for all the infos about your new boat.will you still be there in mid june?I will tour the factory on june 23.I am a novice so I can use any recommandations that you can think about.I understand my boat has not yet been started....so I am dying!most of the electronics,AC,generator,etc...will be installed in west Palm when we get the boat accross.Thanks again,and good luck with your new toy.
JC.
Old 18-05-2006, 10:48   #35
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Jean
Im only here until I outfit the boat , then I start sailing south, until June 6 then I fly back to W. Palm for about 2 months to tie up all the lose ends i have in life. Then hopefully pick up where i left off & start cruising to where ever i end up.
Seems the boat you bought has a long waitng list now up to about 1 1/2 years from what i heard, when will yours be ready?
Right now if there was something I would have had the factory do different is the cleats, they look beauteful , but are made from Aluminum and have an undersize hole in them, I will replace the ones I can with larger ss ones with larger backing plates. Seems all the boats in the marina here have the same cleats , there must be a thousand boats packed in this little port. I have not had the boat long enough to say much more I would change at this point, other then a total outfit, that you would expect to do on most production boats.
Good Luck! Are you from W. palm?
Ram
Old 18-05-2006, 13:29   #36

Hey Ram.
I live in Tampa,so this is where the boat will be based.It is suppose to be ready by year end,since I was among the first order.thanks for the cleat problem,we live in hurricane alley it seems anymore,so those cleats are very important.I am sure we will be in touch later,and may some day meet on our boats.Thanks again.
JC.
Old 08-06-2006, 13:46   #37

Just got the first pictures of the newest FP Mahe 36.I will be visiting the plant in Larochelle on the 23 of June to take the first look at our boat.
Old 08-06-2006, 23:30   #38

Send a message via AIM to Crossett Send a message via Yahoo to Crossett
post more pics when you get a chance, i've only seen computer generated images on the internet
Old 09-06-2006, 06:04   #39

HI Crossett. I will post more pictures when I return from france.
Old 09-06-2006, 14:44   #40

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Yes, you can get comfort in a smaller cat so you don't have to have as long a water line. Of course, longer water line = greater speed, even in a cat.

In 1999, we had a long time sailor friend tell us we needed to get over our catamaran prejudices. We were in Annapolis with check book in hand to buy a new mono. I had done much sailing, diving, and exploring in Asia with this friend and valued his opinion. So, we walked away from the show to do more research.

We spent 2 years researching, chartering cats, and searching the market for the right boat. In 2001, we settled on a 38' Prout (built in South Africa rather than UK). At that time Prouts had done more circumnavigations that any other production cat and had never had one turned over.

Prout is now out of business, but since we needed to buy used to get what we wanted at near the same price as a new 41 mono, no problem.

The Prout is "hell for stout" and has taken some serious weather with no problem. This particular one has crossed the Atlantic 3 times. They are heavy, conservatively rigged, and unfortunately, slow for a cat. The comfort, ruggedness and safety, however, are way up there.

We have just returned from our third winter in the Bahamas. You can learn about the boat and our voyages at www.stateham.com/sunspotbaby.

I miss the feel of sailing a mono. There is no heeling, the sails don't automatically dump wind in a gust, the hydraulic steering gives no feed back. In addition we have a big, hard, fiberglass dodger that blocks most of the wind from my face. I am dependent on gauges to tell wind direction and strength.

Still, the cat was right for us. Don't get hung up on all the rhetoric on both sides of the issue. There are some knowledgeable sailors in this forum on both sides of the issue. Everyone (including me) has an opinion. Do some first hand research. Go sail a few cats. Research how they are built; there as some flimsy boats out there. Make your own decision.

Sunspot Baby
Old 10-06-2006, 10:52   #41

Boat: Mahe 36 -OPTIONS-
Jean 1146 the boat already looks beautiful when you have a chance give us some more info. about the boat in the meantime have fun Mark
Old 11-06-2006, 05:49   #42

Hey Mark. I will post more infos when I get back from Larochelle.The boat looks very good so far.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:40   #43

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
gisle i have a athena and would love to discuss fp cats any time. it seems these threads always turn into useless discussions about peoples ideas about catamarans who dont own one or have never sailed one....jt
Old 11-06-2006, 07:19   #44

Boat: Mahe 36 -OPTIONS-
HI Jean,
I was wondering if they had a boat there that you could try, and if so would you let us know about the ability and handling of the boat.

Thank you,
Mark
Old 14-06-2006, 09:34   #45

Mark. I hope they will have a boat ready in the water,I am not sure.anything I learn oerthere I will share with the forum when I get back.I totaly agree with captjohn about useless discussions about how bad or good cats are. I think getting on a cat is like coming to Florida.Once you have been there ,you never go back to whatever or wherever you were coming from....and sure they have there problems just like anything else.JC.

Tags
fountaine pajot

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: