Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2016, 12:50   #16

Re: Finally pulled the trigger

For those owning or planning on owning the 3 cabin version, do you find the couch on the owners side to be not that useful? Maybe it's just me but I can't see using it at all, I'd rather be topside then down there sitting on the couch. I think a much better use of that space would be storage or even a freezer.

But maybe that's just me. Curious to hear from others on this.

Love the layout as a whole though!
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 13:06   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmbnsf View Post
For those owning or planning on owning the 3 cabin version, do you find the couch on the owners side to be not that useful? Maybe it's just me but I can't see using it at all, I'd rather be topside then down there sitting on the couch. I think a much better use of that space would be storage or even a freezer.

But maybe that's just me. Curious to hear from others on this.

Love the layout as a whole though!

The Helia 44 Evolution no longer has a couch on the owners cabin. FP redesigned the whole owners hull, incorporating more storage and a separate head and vanity/shower.

The new layout is more practical in my opinion. I agree with your thoughts on the couch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2016, 15:36   #18

That's awesome they have changed that up. I must have missed the pictures showing the new design.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
rpmbnsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:11   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear06 View Post
I've silently followed this forum and others for six years, researching and planning our boat purchase. Well, we finally pulled the trigger. We're purchasing a new Helia 44 Evolution.

Looking forward to joining the ranks of Helia 44 owners in a few months.
Well done It took us seven years of searching (written off as expensive holidays) to finally pull the trigger.

Note to brokers: never label a potential customer a tyre-kicker!
Bill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:49   #20

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill4 View Post
Well done It took us seven years of searching (written off as expensive holidays) to finally pull the trigger.

I'm also in the middle of a long search. I Often get looked at as a tire kicker. I think it's hysterical. Some day some one will close the sale. From the brokers point of view I can see that they wouldn't want to follow me for the next 1 to 2 years for the sale. They want to close people who are ready to buy at that boat show or that month. They may not be in business a year or two or five from now.

my wife and I fell in love with the Helia 44 at the boat show">Miami boat show. It's at the top of our list. It's also at the top of our budget range. So we'll see. I am following your new purchases closely, thanks for letting us know about your new Helia.

Kent Meredith
Kentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:58   #21

Quote:

How many brokers wasted their time showing you boats when you weren't in a position to buy?

Congratulations but really...?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:20   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
How many brokers wasted their time showing you boats when you weren't in a position to buy?
None, as far as I recall. We originally started off with a much smaller budget and didn't want to go above 40'. Time went on, we couldn't find anything we both liked enough to pull the trigger, so we gradually upped the budget and maximum size. Shortly after the first time we stepped aboard a Bahia 46 we both agreed this was the best compromise for us - performance, comfort, price, headroom, bridgedeck clearance, etc, etc. We bought the second Bahia 46 we stepped foot on (we made an offer on the first but the owner wouldn't budge). If we had been happy with the very first boat we viewed we'd have bought it, but we weren't. Seven years of searching and we are finally aboard our own cat and loving it. Still pinching ourselves.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:27   #23

Quote:
None, as far as I recall. We originally started off with a much smaller budget and didn't want to go above 40'. Time went on, we couldn't find anything we both liked enough to pull the trigger, so we gradually upped the budget and maximum size. Shortly after the first time we stepped aboard a Bahia 46 we both agreed this was the best compromise for us - performance, comfort, price, headroom, bridgedeck clearance, etc, etc. We bought the second Bahia 46 we stepped foot on (we made an offer on the first but the owner wouldn't budge). If we had been happy with the very first boat we viewed we'd have bought it, but we weren't. Seven years of searching and we are finally aboard our own cat and loving it. Still pinching ourselves.
Ah, so you used the same broker the whole time.

Your comment made it sound like there were brokers who blew you off because they considered you a tire kicker so I assumed that there were other brokers who didn't.

Good luck.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:56   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:

Your comment made it sound like there were brokers who blew you off because they considered you a tire kicker so I assumed that there were other brokers who didn't.

Good luck.
Yeah. Doesn't sound fun having to hope that the person you're talking too has already burnt through multiple brokers before they came to see you....and you might be the last. At least with a realtor, you're typically showing homes in the same geographical area to the buyer and will eventually sell something to the person you start with.

Not saying the poster wasted someones time, but people should be conscientious of other peoples time/money.

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2016, 10:59   #25

Quote:
I never said that.

Quote:
Correct.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:59   #26

Quote:
I never said that.

Correct.
OK, guess we will have to disagree about whether working for nothing is a waste of time for the one doing the work.

Enjoy your boat.

No point in hijacking this thread any further.
Old 04-06-2016, 13:23   #27

Quote:
OK, guess we will have to disagree about whether working for nothing is a waste of time for the one doing the work.
I don't understand this viewpoint. It's the broker's job to qualify leads and close the deal.

If the salesperson (broker) doesn't have the right product, the right price or the right attitude, or turns out not to be trustworthy or whatever, I don't see why we should feel guilty about "wasting their time".
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:18   #28

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabgo View Post
I don't understand this viewpoint. It's the broker's job to qualify leads and close the deal.

If the salesperson (broker) doesn't have the right product, the right price or the right attitude, or turns out not to be trustworthy or whatever, I don't see why we should feel guilty about "wasting their time".
So the broker sets the price and quality of the boats they are selling? Most I've meet sell what they're given....at a price decided by the seller (with input by the broker). Isn't that about the definition of a broker? An intermediate between seller and purchaser?

Matt

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 04-06-2016, 14:48   #29

Frankly, there are brokers, and there are brokers. When I have asked whether it was worth paying the airfare, or if it was a project boat, sometimes I got an honest response to "Save the airfare, it's a project".

Others burned my airfare and related accommodation expenses.

To me it is a brokers job to help the right product meet the right buyer. If they are incapable of that, then they are not beyond criticism, and unrealistic defense of them is not called for, and does a disservice to those that go the extra mile.

One that DID go the extra mile for me, even though it didn't result in a sale completion (not down to me or Hal), is Hal, in St Pete, Florida, and I am determined to take him for a good dinner when I can sail back to America.

Brokers like Hal are deserving of praise, and that is not the case with some others. Sad as that may be, it has to be faced.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 21:24   #30

Sorry, I didn't intent my post as a criticism of brokers. I know there are many good, trustworthy and honest brokers. I just disagree with the idea of feeling guilty of wasting
their time if I decide not to buy a boat, for whatever reason.

- Fabian

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote