Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:19   #1

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Engines

Starting my Sail Training on a Braodblue 385 with Btunton prop's (See P10 of Props and stuff thread) where we found we could not motor into 35knot wind witha twin screw and diesel cat. It may be the props were undersized, it may be the Brunton's self pitching was getting confused by a short confused sea on a shaloow bed.

I was worried about the props not being up to it but it seems the installed power may be a problem.
Mahe 36's please take note that two ten HP's may not /will not drag you off a lee shore. Put it on your shakedown list. We had sea room, thanks to chance and the lord Neptune (who has more control of things than we do).
My gut feeling is that Brunton and other self pitching props need to be checked out with care. Standard fixed blade props may not misbehave like that but power only into wind is still a worthwhile item on your check list.
Experiences with non-standard props would be appreciated for Mahe and PJ's here.
You lucky skippers who already have a Mahe / PJ please advise those who merely wait.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26   #2

Hi Eleven, what size diesels did the 385 have?
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17   #3

When the chance presents do take it out and check it out. Loved the style of the Mahe and the Tardis (Dr Who?) interior but finance points me Prout Event wards.
Many Mahe buyers would love to hear the Mahe proved to motor comfortably into a 30 knot wind. I still think it was the props that got confused, just raising a caution until proven otherwise.
Enjoy your lovely boat, and do feed back, I might win the lotto.
Old 12-12-2007, 00:50   #4

Boat: broadblue 385
the upgrade from 20hp to 30hp volvos on the BB385 is about 5400 usd (as per the option list of BB)....blinds to windows are about 6600 usd so we decided to invest into safety and we ordered our BB385 with the 30hp engines....and we will fix the blinds ourselves....
onotoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34   #5

Slight confusion in my previous, I thought the Mahe had 2 x ten Hp but they are, of course, 2 x 20HP which should be adequate and are comparable or better than other new builds. I become more convinced, without eveidence, that the props were indeed confused and not operating as intended. Fixed props should give a good performance and the main check would be to tie the boat down well and go full throttle. If you get towards or above 3000 revs they may be a bit too small. I'd expect 2200 to 2500 revs with no boat speed, more as speed picks up.
Please bear in mind I'm still an engineer and not yet a sailor.
Old 23-01-2008, 11:17   #6

Boat: Mahe 36
30 hp engines

Hi,
I just got back from bringing my boat from SXM to Panama. I wanted to give some feedback on the upgraded 30hp engines....they are great. I really didnt want the upgraded engines but had to purchase them in order to get this boat. I am now so glad that I have them. My Mahe motors at 10 knots at 3000 RPM in flat water and easily goes 8-9 knots in some chop at about 2600 rpms with these engines. Nice to know I have some power when/if I ever need it to get me out of danger. My local FP dealer was on the boat during the trip and he says he will HIGHLY recommend the bigger engines now that he has used them himself.
May not be for everyone but just wanted to pass along my experience since when I queried for information about the bigger engines, no one seemed to have much experience with them.
On to California,
Lori
Venti
Hull #60
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 06:55   #7

Boat: Alura 30
Hi everyone
I need to replace the impellers on my water pumps.has anyone done it yet,and how hard is it? I noticed yesterday that my starboard engine water flow at the exaust wasn't right.I have Volvo's D1-20.
Thanks JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 10:49   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
impeller

JC
easy
get impelller and gasket from Volvo
make sure that you mark the impeller rotation way to bend the new one the same
Also stuff the impeller housing with white grease .It will lubricate the impeller and give time to the salt water to reach the pump and feed the circuit
Then it is cover back with new gasket or o ring
should be done at least once a year
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2008, 11:00   #9

Thanks Philippe. I have done this job before,but I just wanted to make sure.Also is the Fuel tank vented on the Mahe or was it something they forgot to install on my boat? it is a real pain to fill up the tank without making a mess.
Old 27-05-2008, 11:19   #10

fuel

JC
fuel tank is vented.may be vent is clogged
Old 27-05-2008, 11:41   #11

Where does it ends up?
Old 27-05-2008, 11:54   #12

vent

should be on the hull starboard side
Old 27-05-2008, 12:58   #13

OK! I will check it out.Thank you.
Old 21-12-2008, 10:30   #14

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Help!

I am in the Bahamas and having a little engine/fuel problem. While motoring from West End GB to Great Sale I lost RPM's. I was running the motors at about 2300 when they suddenly dropped to 1500 then 1000 then back up to 2000. This has been going on for about 20 hrs. They will run just fine for a minute then bounce around for a while. here is the punch list of things I have checked. I started by checking the prop to see if I had picked up a fishing line but the prop was clean. Then I cleaned the fuel pre-filter and changed the fuel filter. Next I checked the strainer in the manifold pump. All of them seemed fine. My next step is to check the fuel hose in the tank (pick up). The reason I have put this on this forum is I can't figure out how to get to the fuel hose where it enters the tank, perhaps one of the other owners or Philippe could help. Thanks for your help!
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 16:46   #15

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Lonnie
Under the sink is a back panel held with 4 screws, remove them and the panel and you will see the fuel tank and supply lines, tyou also can get to the fuel shut offs through the plastic screw hatch above the propane tank compartment. But I don't think that is the problem, you may have a clogged/faulty injector on the engine. Look over the manual I sent you as to how to clean them.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36