Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:16   #76

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
JC
I bought the 8 footer, it is long enough to reach the engine bilge with no problem. It is also strong enough to use for picking up a mooring ball when fully extended. It is our primary boathook.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:21   #77

Boat: Alura 30
Thanks scott.I will get one because like everybody else there4 is always water left on the starboard side. I am replacing the seals on the propshafts.Fluid on port transmission was milky...I am also putting new drain plugs just to make sure.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 16:12   #78

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Bailer

Thanks for the tip Scott. I will have to see whether these are available in Aus. I guess I can order off the net if not.

Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:53   #79

Re: Engines

We need help.We are stuck in Marathon on our way to Bimini with a sea water pump leaking badly.I have looked at it and it seems that there are 4 points of attachements on the block,2 bolts with nuts and 2 studs.I have removed the 2 bolts and nuts but the 2 studs are really in a tight spot......it is leaking around the shaft on the back of the pump,there has to be a seal and may be a bearing but I am stuck. Any suggestions on how to remove the pump?
thanks. JC. 813 363 7248
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03   #80

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Jean,
It should be just those 4 bolts. Sould have a paper gasket.
May have a small hole on the bottom of the shaft tube.
Its put there to tell you when the shaft seals are bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea water pump.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	26029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sea water pump diagram.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	26030  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32   #81

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Re: Sea water pump components

Jean,
Maybe this helps?
At some moment I downloaded all exploded views from a Volvo parts supplier's website.
The Volvo Penta workshop manual is totally un-informative. It just advises you to change the sea water pump as a complete unit.
Good luck; and now you know an advantage of a catamaran: just use the other engine. But I have to admit, when I had to enter a harbour once on one engine I was pretty nervous.

Please check whether the sea water goes straight into the engine sump. In that case change oil asap.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sea water pump components.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	26032  
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:37   #82

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Sea water pump

Jean,
Note hat there are indeed 2 sealing rings. Most probably only the front one is leaking; water is coming out of the drain hole between the two. So probably you can just continue using this engine for harbour entry and anchoring and so, and do the long distances on the other engine; while ordering the parts. Just check the engine oil for foam / coffee creamer colour, which would indicate that the 2nd seal is also leaking.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:21   #83

Just got the new pump,more problems.The 2 inside bolts were so corroded that we had to remove the motor mount in order To get a good hold and remove the bolts.We have to wait another day to get the new bolts...a simple job has turned to be an ordeal.
Jc.
Old 11-05-2011, 15:34   #84

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Wireless Remote Engine Temperature Monitor

Mahe's

Just wanted to give you some feedback on the Wireless Remote Engine Temperature Monitors I installed a few months ago.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post654749

They really work great and its nice to see the actual temp before hand so you know were the engines run or if you have some growth in the sail drives that needs to be cleaned out.

Note: get rid of the original AA batteries and put in real good ones. The originals only lasted one month.

Well worth the $60 upgrade.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine Temp.JPG
Views:	523
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	27242  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2011, 20:30   #85

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 (#111) - Vaya Con Dios

Regarding the air filter.
I just spoke to a Volvo Penta Tech here in Cairns, who said that you could wash the air filter out several times, before replacing it entirely. Going to try this as we can not get Fram Air filters here in Aus, will have to order one to ship over from the US.

Rozzie
vayacondios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2011, 23:40   #86

Hi Rozzie

Did he say what you should wash it with? Blow clean with HP air would have been my thinking.

Cheers
Martin
Old 20-05-2011, 00:30   #87

I mentioned earlier on that I'm having problems with my volvo md2001. Compression was a little low so I added some metal 5 agent to seemingly fill in the pores on the lining. Engines startes fairly well but once it warms up, causing the oil to thin which is quite normal, but then the oil comes out of the stick guage. I'm so fed up with this engine that I am even thinking of mounting an electric engine. Would appreciate anybody's comments on the above. tks paul
Paul Banderet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 01:26   #88

Hi Martin,
He didn't say, just said that you could mod it and clean it. Were going to give it a go. I don't think it will last forever but maybe get one or two uses out of it.
Why couldn't you use a piece of foam? Get a piece from the Rubber Store and use that. I mean what is so special about the filter material? The Honda Generator uses a foam like filter that has a light film of oil on it.
I guess it might be a matter of it filtering and getting the proper amount of air. I might have to ask him that next time I see him. At least he seemed practical.

Are you guys coming North this year?? We'll be up at Lizard for a couple of months most likely Oct & Nov.... purfecccctttt!

Rozzie
Old 20-05-2011, 05:56   #89

Hi Rozzie

The "Mod it" was the missing bit. You would have to split it open to wash.

Correct airflow would be the issue but oil filters have been used for many years. On a boat there is little dust to contend with so it is a pretty clean environment.

Regards
Martin
Old 20-05-2011, 22:09   #90

Martin,
Cotemar (Mark) has put in a section on changing the air filter (this thread) to the washable kind. In his message he says to email him for the detailed how to. I did this and he was kind enough to send to me, it's has photos and is very specific. I would be happy to pass it on if you want to shoot me an email with your email address, or Im sure Mark would too.
Were just getting our last "Authorized Volvo Service " in order for the warranty, so we are going to save the airfilter (because they change the airfilter) and try Marks method for modifying it. Next service we will be doing, we are paying about $700 for this service to both engines. Robbery!!
I would like to find a material over here that I can use without having to have a Fram filter sent from the US. The air is so clean up here in Cairns, with no industry and such little population, it's hard to imagine we need much for a filter really.

Rozzie

Tags
mahe 36