Attached are photos of the solution I came up with. I used 3/4 in plywood
cut to fit the opening. The grouping of pics includes the owners cabin
first. The hatch surface here is slightly indented and has rounded corners. The other grouping is for the hatch in the guest head
. The surface is flat. The hole patterns for both are different, making each cover unique and specifically oriented.
I drilled holes to fit the bolt caps associated with the escape hatch. You'll also see I placed 1/4 rubber insulation
to provide a seal with the metal frame or fiberglass
perimeter. Lastly I added some small strips to the inboard surface of plywood to create a capture well for the 2x4 shoring planks. I put two coats of poly on each to reduce storage
The biggest concern I have with installation
during an emergency is that it may require two people to implement. This will be dependent on the amount of water flowing in. I don't expect a full seal, but enough to reduce flow to enable bilge
pumps to be effective. (BTW, bilge
pumps are another area needing big improvement for Belize
models - that will be a different topic track.)
I'm storing these in the forward storage
compartment of each hull
. You'll see that I also marked to inside/sea facing sides and top of each emergency hatch DC cover to make it clear for whoever is handling damage control at the time.
While I hope never to use these, but I feel better prepared having them available.
I welcome comments, questions, and suggestions.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app