Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2019, 12:05   #31

Re: Customizing our FP Astréa 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc bulterys View Post
Quick answer from the AirPort in Santiago:
What I meant is, that starting in the middle of the roof, you lift the frame 5-6cm. But at the side your panels will be hanging at least 15cm above the roof there. Rather an aesthetic issue not technical.
Thanks for the interesting blog!
Luc

Do you think it is possible to install panel directly on roof without frame? With just a little overhang, support from the roof might be enough.
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2019, 12:51   #32

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
Do you think it is possible to install panel directly on roof without frame? With just a little overhang, support from the roof might be enough.
This is only possible if the panels are not wider than the dedicated FP-solar-zone (around 60cm). If you choose larger panels, you will have to lift them around 6 cm above it, because in the middle the roof is a bit more than 5cm higher. But of course, you could do that also without using a complete frame.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:45   #33

My apologies for reviving an old thread.

@Luc, did you end up having the Integrel system installed?

If so, how has it been working?

Have you had any issues?

Did the installation void your Volvo warranty because of the added stress on the crankshaft used by the alternators?

Have you noticed any impact on your fuel consumption while motoring and / or idling?

Cheers.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2020, 08:30   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
My apologies for reviving an old thread.

@Luc, did you end up having the Integrel system installed?

If so, how has it been working?

Have you had any issues?

Did the installation void your Volvo warranty because of the added stress on the crankshaft used by the alternators?

Have you noticed any impact on your fuel consumption while motoring and / or idling?

Cheers.
Yes we have the Integrel generator for 10 months now. It is mounted on the port engine (Volvo Penta 50hp) and works great. We live aboard 100%, up till now in the Caribbean. I saw a mail that Volvo confirmed that the warranty is not effected by the installation. When we installed it, that was not yet official. We used that engine almost 19% more than the starboard engine, because of the need for charging our batteries. But since we are staying for 6 months almost permanently in lockdown at anchor / mooring, this is probably a lot more than in normal cruising mode.
In fuel consumption, it is not especially detectable. Note that the system only takes the available power when at a permanent throttle. So during maneuvering, for example, you have full power on the propeller. You won't feel it, but on the screen you can see exactly how much power goes to the batteries.
If you want more information, maybe you can take a look at the "equipment" page of our blog orinocotoo.com
Good luck with your decision.
Old 21-08-2020, 08:37   #35

Quote:
Yes we have the Integrel generator for 10 months now. It is mounted on the port engine (Volvo Penta 50hp) and works great. We live aboard 100%, up till now in the Caribbean. I saw a mail that Volvo confirmed that the warranty is not effected by the installation. When we installed it, that was not yet official. We used that engine almost 19% more than the starboard engine, because of the need for charging our batteries. But since we are staying for 6 months almost permanently in lockdown at anchor / mooring, this is probably a lot more than in normal cruising mode.
In fuel consumption, it is not especially detectable. Note that the system only takes the available power when at a permanent throttle. So during maneuvering, for example, you have full power on the propeller. You won't feel it, but on the screen you can see exactly how much power goes to the batteries.
If you want more information, maybe you can take a look at the "equipment" page of our blog orinocotoo.com
Cheers.

Thank you for answering all of my questions! I will check out the website link provided.
Old 21-08-2020, 09:51   #36

Just wanted to thank you again for the link. Your site is extremely well laid out and full of very useful information. Everything you have installed very closely lines up with our plans and the insights you have provided there are invaluable (at least to us).

This pandemic has severely altered our plans for what appears to now be the next 2 years but should we ever end up in the same area, it would be our pleasure to take you and your partner out for a nice dinner!

Cheers.
Old 14-04-2022, 05:38   #37

Dear Luc,
I am in the process of buying a new Astrea 42 (delivery date mid 2023) and interested in your experience after having used your configuration for several years.
Thank you!
ImOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 06:00   #38

sorry found your webpage with your equipment evolution. Very helpful !!! Thank you!
ImOcean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2022, 19:19   #39

Hi, you are most welcome. Don’t know if you read our last post ?
As a result, I will modify the steering system in the coming weeks, with a backup for all the main parts: Helm steering / autopilot / and connection between the rudders.
Once I have done that, I will add a post under the equipment page of our blog. I hope it will inspire others.
Old 21-04-2022, 13:17   #40

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback on the integrel system. What i find very strange is that you need permanent throttle. What are the 9kw worth if nothing is produced when you drive and manoveur for 30min into your anchor spot?
This compared to 2x250A alternators that will cost you 3000 bucks and they already produce 2x140A=280A on idle, so manoveuring for 30min i get the daily consumption of 150-200AH in when i need to use the engines anyhow?
Also integrel states no extra fuel costs which means it would be a perpetual mobile as the energy neehs to come from somewhere. Additionally you state you use the engine 19% more means you run it just to create power to charge the battery and thats not silent either.

From the drawings they provide its essentially nothing else then a smart 48V alternator.
I don't really see the adavantage over 2 big heavy duty alternators?
Thats my fallback, easier as i am massivly overpowered with 2x50hp instaed 2x20hp, so having excess power eg doing 14kn in WOT. sailing and power cat in one
Sorry for misspels... My fat fingers are not really compatible with the tiny smartphone keyboards
Great blog by the way.
Love your nav station chair, great idea and execution.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 11:41   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Thanks for your feedback on the integrel system. What i find very strange is that you need permanent throttle. What are the 9kw worth if nothing is produced when you drive and manoveur for 30min into your anchor spot?
This compared to 2x250A alternators that will cost you 3000 bucks and they already produce 2x140A=280A on idle, so manoveuring for 30min i get the daily consumption of 150-200AH in when i need to use the engines anyhow?
Also integrel states no extra fuel costs which means it would be a perpetual mobile as the energy neehs to come from somewhere. Additionally you state you use the engine 19% more means you run it just to create power to charge the battery and thats not silent either.

From the drawings they provide its essentially nothing else then a smart 48V alternator.
I don't really see the adavantage over 2 big heavy duty alternators?
Well, you misunderstood what I tried to explain, because manoeuvre 30’ will give less than a constant throttle, indeed, but still a multitude of 200A ! But if that is all you need, the Integrel is not something for you. And the 19% more was after being at a mooring for 6 months during covid lockdown.
That said, we need a lot more power daily than 200A, and for us, the Integrel is worth every penny ! Especially when there is no sun and we stay put.
Old 22-04-2022, 19:25   #42

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Well, you misunderstood what I tried to explain, because manoeuvre 30’ will give less than a constant throttle, indeed, but still a multitude of 200A ! But if that is all you need, the Integrel is not something for you. And the 19% more was after being at a mooring for 6 months during covid lockdown.
That said, we need a lot more power daily than 200A, and for us, the Integrel is worth every penny ! Especially when there is no sun and we stay put.
Yes I really misunderstood you then. Just wondering where the additional massive energy comes from…if more load on engine it must eat more fuel and if the engine is not running because you sail there is no energy created too.
In the last year i used each engine for 140h.

What’s your daily consumption with and without aircon?
with aircon extensive use you can drive every bank into the ground and get to huge AH a day. But using a small AC for 1-2h before sleeping to cool your owner cabin down doesn’t need that much.
I don‘t have one AC for now (maybe a small one for the owner in the future but love to sleep on deck if it’s that warm) otherwise have 6,9kw of inverter and a full electric galley with 3 burner induction and oven/microwave/steamer, nespresso machine, tea cattle/a lot electric gizmos, 2 fridges, 1 freezer, and a 800W stereo that runs all day. On a sunny day my bank is full at 1 or 2pm and I dump 2h of solar into the hot water boiler. Without the dump I am around 200/day at anchor, 250Ah on passage. Have no big alternators at the moment nor a big gen. Real 1,2kw solar=100A charge and will add another 500W for the very cloudy days. So far no big alternators needed and if yes I should get away with the 2x140A ones, I have 20hp excess per engine so even 350A ones wouldn‘t be a problem.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2022, 12:45   #43

Hi again. First I must say that we don’t follow our energy usage in detail anymore. But I can refer to the Facebook group of Pavel Riha, who does. You will find all your answers and more there: FB “Integrel on a boat”
Generally spoken, I think it is important to notify that I have a 48V battery bank, and in reality it stays between 52 and 56V. So talking about Amps can be confusing: one amp for 12V is 12watt, while that is only 0,2A for my bank. That’s why I prefer to talk about watt. Than it doesn’t matter if you have 12V, 24V or 48V…
We use permanently around 2-300watt, mostly topping up our 12V battery which stays 99% charged at all times. Serving fridge, freezer, computers, etc.
Our biggest daily consumption is cooking (daily fresh bread / hot meals / etc). It is more then 3000W every day.
Washing machine and dryer, scuba tank compressor are really big consumers but these we try to use when there is more then enough power available.
Air conditioner is not used very much, but it drains easily 3000Wh extra.
That said, we need at least 4-5 hours of sun every day (even more if the orientation of the panels is not optimal) to keep the voltage of our batteries stable.
During passages, we use also a 600W hydrogenerator. This helps especially during nighttime to keep the consumption more or less in balance.
Using the engine (with Integrel) at 1500-1800 rpm, will give 5,5-7,5kWh if in bulk mode. Which means we don’t have to use much engine to compensate what we need, and if we have enough sun, no engine at all. But at anchor, it all depends on our orientation, the hours of sunshine, and of course our daily usage. During our last passage, 20 days at sea, we used the engine less then 2 hours specifically for the batteries. But the last 2 weeks of that passage, we saw just a few hours the sun and we had always enough wind to sail, which is rather exceptional.
Extra consumption is nihil, because it is typical for the system to use the energy of the engine that is not needed for the propeller, but is produced anyhow.
And to end my reply: I have no commercial benefit what so ever in this system. I am just a happy client. But I respect of course any decision for another solution.

Tags
Astrea, fire detector, fire extinquisher, fountaine pajot, generator, lithium, PFE