Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2015, 06:19   #1

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44
Code 0

I have a new Doyle Code 0 on a Selden GX15 furler and am needing suggestions on how to rig it to the FP factory bowsprit. The sprit was delivered with a spring loaded turning block @ the tip and a spinlock clutch. It appears that i need to remove/replace the block with a pad eye to attach the furler too for a more secure application. Selden shows 2 different installations. One with the padeye outboard and the turning block inboard with the furler riding on a line in between. The second with their luff tension adjuster which they don't recommend for the Helia 44. Due to the design of the factory sprit, it doesn't look like you can fasten any other hardware to it. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:38   #2

Boat: Privilege 435
Re: Code 0

I'm no expert so look forward to hearing the thoughts of more experienced sailors. What sort of sailing do you do? Is adjusting the tack of the sail important? If not, then you can just go with the sheet running straight through the block on the end of the sprit to the tack. It can then be secured with the clutch (and cleat). Adjusting the sail shape can then be done at the head. The other set-up that you describe provides a 2:1 ratio and therefore makes it easier to adjust the tack in and out if necessary.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:41   #3

Boat: Catana 471

Hi Scott - the GX15 is a continuous line furler, correct? And your sail has a torsion luff rope, correct? I have pretty much the same set up, although with a Facnor furler. One way to rig this is best described by this picture. The red tack line leads back to a spinlock mounted near the base of the sprit. This setup allows me to pull the furler back to the tramp when taking the sail down (by using the tack line and spinlock), which I do after each use, and provides a 2:1 purchase on the tack line.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2205 sm.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	108303  
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:03   #4

Dave, do you use the 2:1 on the tack line for luff tension? You find you can get enough on it that way?
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Dave, do you use the 2:1 on the tack line for luff tension? You find you can get enough on it that way?
Hi Jay - no, what you see in the picture is a 2:1 on the tack line, but I don't tension the luff with this - it just sets the height of the tack/furler and provides for bringing the furler back to the tramp. I use a 2:1 halyard to provide the tension.

Dave
Old 02-09-2015, 12:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
Hi Jay - no, what you see in the picture is a 2:1 on the tack line, but I don't tension the luff with this - it just sets the height of the tack/furler and provides for bringing the furler back to the tramp. I use a 2:1 halyard to provide the tension.

Dave
Thanks, that confirms my suspicion. I think most Code 0 setups use 2:1 halyards, but I'm not sure what the value of a 2:1 tack is. Reduced compression on the sprit? I really am curious about this.

The OP doesn't mention if he has a 2:1 halyard. In theory, the tack would be able to apply the same luff tension as the halyard, but I think it it would be pretty non-optimal in practice. I think he must.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:24   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
I'm not sure what the value of a 2:1 tack is. Reduced compression on the sprit? I really am curious about this.
In my case the 2:1 tack mostly serves to permit me to bring the furler to the tramp to remove it when I drop the sail and put it back on later when I want to use the sail again. (Yes, you could do the same with a 1:1.) The sprit has no idea whether the tack is a 1:1, 2:1, or X:1. The compression on the sprit is not changed whatsoever by the tack purchase. BUT - the load on the tack line and the spinlock holding it with a 2:1 is half what it would be if this was a 1:1, so there's some worth with that.

Dave
Old 03-09-2015, 04:11   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

All you need is a tack dow haul. You can either tie a bowlin in one end or splice and eye in it. Run it through the factory block and spinlock use it to attach the furler and control the height of the sail.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:45   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
All you need is a tack dow haul. You can either tie a bowlin in one end or splice and eye in it. Run it through the factory block and spinlock use it to attach the furler and control the height of the sail.
Jay

Bowline to attach the furler, thru the block to the spinlock. Have enough line to let it out if desired!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:02   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post

Bowline to attach the furler, thru the block to the spinlock. Have enough line to let it out if desired!
That should work if the height off the sprit is not too great. Otherwise there's little to keep the furler from twisting other than the furling line.

Dave
Old 04-09-2015, 20:39   #11

Boat: FP Orana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
That should work if the height off the sprit is not too great. Otherwise there's little to keep the furler from twisting other than the furling line.

Dave
I also ha have a facnor furler, smaller boat, smaller sail, lesser load.

Still its rigged with a 2:1, block on the furler. I think if not, as you wrote, the furler will twist (or rotate) in all cases, even if the furler is rigged close to the sprit. Its needed to keep the furling line entry/exit in position.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 21:17   #12

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I have a single line with a bowline within 6 inches of the block, no twisting, the furler works fine.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 21:23   #13

Boat: FP Orana 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I have a single line with a bowline within 6 inches of the block, no twisting, the furler works fine.
Good clarification.

Seems like I have one block to many.
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote