Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 17:56   #316

Boat: Alura 30
I had to do the first engine service on our way from Guadeloupe,does that means that my warranty is voided? I have 700 hours on our D 1-20,so far they are running pretty good,at 2500 we get between 6 and 7 Knots.Fixed props. It looks like this thread is well alive,so lets keep it going,I am sure we can share a lot of informations.Scott keep us inform about your trip to the Bahamas.We bacame grand parents of 3 little girls on october 1st,so our plans had to change but we are still enjoying our boat tremendously.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:47   #317

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
JC

Congratulations
For Volvo as long as your warranty cards are send you should be OK
Boats have to be serviced on their way across also and not many volvo dealers there
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 13:40   #318
DtM

Hull #

Any idea what hull number the factory is up to now?
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 10:26   #319

Miami Boat Show

Hi!

does any one knows if FP will be at the boat show">Miami boat show next month?
and if they are showing the Mahe 36?

thanks
lavi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 11:26   #320

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
This is not in stone.

Strictly Sail
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 17:55   #321

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
lavi08,

Yes, FP (Willmarusa) will be at the Miami show with a FP Mahe 36 trio.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2009, 18:09   #322

thanks Therapy and Cotemar!

have been surching for while in FP calendar shows and, Miami Boat Show is not there and also if you go to The Mia Boat Show site they dont mention FP.

Thanks again.

Lavi08
lavi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 23:28   #323

Boat: Mahe 36
New Kid on the Blog

Hello All,
we got our Mahe No 95 by end of September 2008. I sailed her, with family but pretty much singlehanded into the Med. Now, that I have read through the posts of this forum, maybe you are interested, how we feel about the boat.
We have the CST Mainsail, a modified used bowsprit from a Belize, Volvo D1-20s with folding props, standard Bimini, 10' Dinghi with 10hp.
Sailing performance: compared to other production 'houseboats' our Mahes are pretty fast sailors. If the wind was right, I was able to outperform even a Baltic Cat 43 at a fun regata round Mallorca. Top speed in surf conditions was 15,5 so far.
I have a Bartels endless furler for the Gennaker, but am changing to sock system, because in stronger winds the shoulder of the Genny tends to shake loose and cause some danger.
For boat speed measures with engines, I only use GPS Data. My experience is: one engine @ 2100 makes around 5,5 to 6 kts in flat water, two make 6,5. I cannot reach 3000 with one engine, but with two. So I think the props are just right.
Best regards,
Jan
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:03   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase View Post
Hello All,
we got our Mahe No 95 by end of September 2008. I sailed her, with family but pretty much singlehanded into the Med. Now, that I have read through the posts of this forum, maybe you are interested, how we feel about the boat.
We have the CST Mainsail, a modified used bowsprit from a Belize, Volvo D1-20s with folding props, standard Bimini, 10' Dinghi with 10hp.
Sailing performance: compared to other production 'houseboats' our Mahes are pretty fast sailors. If the wind was right, I was able to outperform even a Baltic Cat 43 at a fun regata round Mallorca. Top speed in surf conditions was 15,5 so far.
I have a Bartels endless furler for the Gennaker, but am changing to sock system, because in stronger winds the shoulder of the Genny tends to shake loose and cause some danger.
For boat speed measures with engines, I only use GPS Data. My experience is: one engine @ 2100 makes around 5,5 to 6 kts in flat water, two make 6,5. I cannot reach 3000 with one engine, but with two. So I think the props are just right.
Best regards,
Jan
I've just checked the results and find out that the Baltic Cat 43 came out first and you seventh out of 10 boats. That tell a different story!?

Multihull Charter » 11. MC-Cup 2008 (18.-25.10.08)

FLOYD
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:48   #325

Boat: Mahe 36
Floyd,
we did not take part in all races ;-). And as you may have read, I said: 'if the wind was right'. Dont't take it too serious, as I dindn't. They were many experenced sailors on board, we were only 1 1/2. But if you like, you can ask the builder of the Baltic and he will admit, that we had a good potential.
Jan
jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 16:49   #326

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Late Starter

Hi Guys

I have been a bit slow getting hooked into this thread but now that I have I found it is pretty interesting.

I took delivery of Hull 42 in August 07 and generally have been pretty happy except for some of the issues noted in this thread.

Picking up on some recent topics:
I have made some changes (improvements I think) to the gennaker and Jib sheeting. The standard setup is not great to say the least.
I have also fitted double line reefing for the main so I can now do it all from the helm. This involved mounting another 4 clutches and changing the block arrangement at the mast. This has not been tested in heavy conditions but seems to work OK!

I agree with previous comments on the gennaker furling drum and will have to look at a continous line system.

One the querstion of engine revs, props etc I cruise at 2600 normally and can get 2900-3000. I fitted Autostream feathering props in May and have been very happy with them. (except for the cost!) The standard fixed props are only fit for the scrapheap! The slipway recommended Propspeed antifouling and this seems to work well. As of now (8 months) there is NO growth on the blades and only a little on the hub.

Cheers
Martin
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 18:57   #327

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Martin

We met at the 07 Sydney Boat Show. Where is Reflexion laying? With your permission, I would like to see what improvements you have made to her. Currently, every fortnight, I find myself having to scrub my boat's props, their legs, & hulls' bottom because of growth. Lots of little "sea monkeys" in that swarm of brown gunk that bite too. I don't mind doing it now because of hot weather, but autumn looms, and I still cannot get the rpms past 2400, with virtually no improvement in speed. I have the 3-blade folding props.

JohnC
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 19:18   #328

Hi Seadog, yes we did!

Reflexion is lying in Pittwater. You are welcome anytime. Perhaps we should organsise a get together for the Sydney based boats sometime.

I found the factory antifoul did not last long and after several goes at scrubbing had to slip in May looking like something from the depths in Pirates of the Carribean. So far the locally applied stuff seems to be holding up well, I have not had to scrub the hulls and only cleaned the rubber flange and the water inlet ports on the leg.

Perhaps the props are not the right spec? I had original 2 bladed fixed props which also went to 3000 revs when clean. The Autostreams (3 bladed) are adjustable but I have not had to change them from the settings as supplied. I get about 7.2 - 7.4 Kts (GPS) at 2600 but only a little better (7.8) at full revs. Not worth the extra diesel use.

What speed to you get?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:11   #329

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, a few reactions:
When we got our boat last May, the temperature of the hot water varied dangerously because the water pump switched on and off continuously, except when the tap was fully open. FP then arranged a plumber, who decided that a 5 liter air vessel (like central heating) had to be mounted. Under guarantee. This works well. All bigger FP's have such a vessel, except for all Mahe's. Maybe this has to do with the supplier of the pump stating that this pump needs no vessel. Which is not always true.

About antifouling: it would be nice if you could avoid (2)yearly re-painting of antifouling, it is very expensive to take the boat out of the water. I am considering Coppercoat from Coppercoat - multiseason antifouling. 10 years protection hard wearing copper filled epoxy resin copper antifoul antifouling.. I am interested to hear positive and negative experiences from this forum.

About the jib sheets: Martin, I am interested what improvements you did to the jib sheets. I am also unhappy about the shape of the jib when not close-hauled. Also information about the single-line furling is appreciated.
Anybody who is considering making a 3rd reef? We could have used it last "summer".
Regards,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 16:45   #330

Hi Jase & others

I have not yet connected my Laptop up to the Furuno but plan to do so.

There is an RS232 port on the FI-30 server for this purpose. I have noted that my server is not configured to factory default of the nmea messages it broadcasts and will have to be configured before it sends any useful messages.

I have mounted 4 clutches for the double line reefing. 2 x XTS for the Tack down hauls and 2 x XAS for the clew lines. Best if I take some pictures of this and the tack lines and post them. Extra sheet bags are now required! I considered single line reefing but high friction seems to be a constraint and I also don't think you will get a decent sail shape unless you can tension clew and tack independently. I am trying the tack lines out without blocks on the sail initially for simplicity as I don't think the friction will be an issue.

All I have done with the Jib sheet so far is fit a fairlead to manage the port sheet but I would love to have short tracks instead of the stand up block.

With the gennaker sheeting I have routed the starboard sheet across the aft beam and fitted a double jamming foot block port where the old sheet block was and moved that forward a little. This allows all gennaker control from the dedicated winch and the jamming blocks allow you to control the sheets better in a gybe or just cleat them off when not in use. Seems to work quite well but is a recent mod so time will tell.

I have also decided to always drop the gennaker when it is not expected to use it in teh short term. I had an unfortunate experience where (being loosly furled) it opened partially in +- 30Kts of wind.

Tags
mahe 36