Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2007, 17:13   #106

Boat: Mahe 36
mtarich,

I'm picking my Mahe up in La Rochelle in mid September and planning pretty much the same trip, though I'll only be able to spend one month cruising in France, Spain and Portugal. Such a tough life

Have you picked a place to leave your boat yet, I'd be interested to hear if you've already made arrangements at a Marina along the way.
Kipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2007, 04:05   #107

Boat: Alura 30
Scott thanks for the tip.I will do it myself and save a few bucks.Kipper Mid september should be OK.You will have to watch the wether.it can get real nasty in that part of the world.JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27   #108

Hi All,

Well we have just placed our order for a Mahe 36, we have just completed a sea trial with the UK distributor for Fountain Pajot, who were very good and we were totally convinced that this was the right boat for us.

Normally the brochure photographs do not represent the actual scale of the boat, and this was a pleasant surprise, the boat is actually bigger in the flesh than in the brochure.

We were told of the current changes to the standard production model, which are as follows:

Rose tinted light wood, darker flooring and the grey gel coat interior is now going to be white (with a corresponding change to the upholstery to Dune instead of white), new digital engine display panels, and 2 additional hatches in the front saloon windows, an electric fuel gauge on the control panel.

Plus on the options was the new Spirfurl, which is described by FP as follows:

A SPIFURL (instead of a SPINNAKER and/or a GENNAKER)
The SPIFURL is an innovative sail specially designed with the sail loft INCIDENCES whose advantage is that it can replace the GENNAKER and the SPINNAKER, the mounting is on a swivel.

Sounds good to me and I will be adding that to the list of extras along with the Bowsprit and additional gear.

The other changes, which came as a bit of a shock was the price increase.

We are still more than happy with our purchase and now look forward to our boat being ready in April 2008 from La Rochelle.

Kevin & Jo
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:40   #109

Hi Kevin.
It is interesting to see the changes on the new models.I don't have a fuel gage,so I will install one,also it is getting very hot in the salon because of the lack of ventilation.over all I am very happy with the boat so far,we logged over 2000 miles in 2 months.....what is the base price right now? JC.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21   #110

Hi JC,

The new price has gone up by 5000 euro, base price 173K, which after 12 months since the price was realesed, so about inflation. fair enough.

The optional extras have jumped in price, Bowsprit was 1770 now 4067, which is more than double.

We are more than happy with our order, just have to wait a while.

Kevin
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16   #111

mahe 36 Prices

Hi,
I am new to this forum and am considering the purchase of a mahe 36. I have gotten alot of useful information so far but was wondering how I could get some more detailed information on prices (base, options, delivery). I am on the Left coast (SF Bay) so would also be interested in any information about sailing the mahe in winds of 25+ (usual summer wind on the bay).
thanks in advance,
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31   #112

Lori I would contact the FP agent in your area for prices ,different options,delivery etc....we went to get our boat in Martinique and brought her back to Florida.we had several days of 25knt + days,it was a real pleasure,we had the boat doing12knots on several occasions with no problems.we had the bear minimum on the boat so it was very light.JC.
Old 12-07-2007, 00:42   #113

Hi Lori,

Our sea trial was in 25knt+ winds, ideal from my point of view. I wanted to see if the boat could handle it. I am very pleased to say that it more than coped with the conditions and we were having no problems maintaining between 7 and 8 knts and peaking at 9 knts, which was very impresive under the circumstamces.

Kevin
Old 10-08-2007, 04:27   #114

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Hi there.

My wife and I have just placed an order for a Mahe 36 at last weekend's Sydney International Boat Show here in Australia. I am curious about the changes Kev mentioned for next year's boat. My dealer was unaware of the new colour changes or the additional hatches. Are these options or standard inclusions?

As for the ongoing saga about biminis, I have opted to have ours factory fitted, as I am fairly short at 5'7". I also liked the idea of being able to walk on the hardtop centre to access the lazybag. Has anyone here sailed one with the factory bimini? If so, I am interested to know about your experience.

Regards

John
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:12   #115

Standard Additions

Hi John,

The additions are standard inclusions and if you want to get an idea of what they look like go on the FP web site and look at the photos of the Orana, there is only one extra hatch not two as I posted earlier, my mistake.

I have sailed the demo boat, which had the factory fitted bimini and the best part of it was the solid centre board allowing you to walk on it to zip up the lazybag.

For myself I am planning to design a stainless steel arch, which hopefully will include the standard centre board from FP, this is really easy to fit having seen it in the flesh. Also allowing me to move the main sheet traveller on top of the arch, plus a sensible place to attach the life raft and tender. The life raft should deploy easily in all conditions, with out encountering any possible snags or orientation of the boat.

The standard optional davits I thought left the tender to low under sail and on our sea trial, which was a very windy day, the tender did get caught a few times.

I am intending to fit photovoltaic panels in the void between the centre board, transom arch, port and starboard hulls. If that makes sense. But the design will also allow me to stretch some canvas in the void as an option.

Also a very convenient place to locate any electronic additions, without drilling holes into the saloon roof. (GPS Ariel, Radar etc….)

I will be going to the Southampton boat show 15 – 16 September to measure up the boat to design the transom arch, which will be incorporating the standard centre piece.

I will be taking some photos of the boat at the show and if you want I am willing to send you some of them.

I have started a blog about our intentions, by all means go and have a look, as some of your country men have already been. Could have been you, who knows!

http://www.mahe36.blogspot.com/

Good luck with your new boat.

Kev
Old 11-08-2007, 00:55   #116

Kev, too right! I am a regular visitor to your blog. While I don't plan to circumnavigate, my Mahe 36 will be a "weekender/holiday home" that will spend a lot of time on moorings or on the hook in different locations, so it will need to be self-sufficient.

I have looked at flexi solar panels, but though you can walk on them, I think they can get dangerously slippery when wet, so I have opted to have rigid ones mounted above the davits. They can, however, be tilted to try and catch the sun's rays.

I will also be having stainless steel railing mounted around the cockpit area, which will give me more room to place such essentials as a bbq. I am hoping that, unlike the barbie on my previous mono which keeps blowing out, I can actually get to use this bbq. While the galley is up top, I'd like to avoid cooking smells and smoke/steam & splatter as much as possible.

John
Old 11-08-2007, 01:04   #117

Kev, thanks for pointing me towards the Orana pics. I like the new colour scheme, as well as the hatch within the windows.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:46   #118

John, no problem, we also like the new colour scheme and the additional hatch will be a god send in the warmer climates.
Old 22-08-2007, 02:47   #119
DtM

Kev,

My boat (Hull 29) has arrived here so I can give you any measurements you want or I can confirm anything you measure in Southampton. I can give you the measurement between the boom and the cabin/saloon top. You will need to get the curve of the cabin top from the factory. I may have it soon given my broker (as the yanks call him) is at the factory now and getting the drawings of the factory bimini I hope.

I must say that it is everything we thought it would be. the speed is really good.

I have to get used to how to sail a Cat but plenty of time for that.

daniel
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2007, 03:09   #120

Dan,

It’s good to hear that you are pleased with the boat, and excellent news about the speed. (YeeHaa as the Yanks would say)

I am sure between us we will come up with an improvement to our benefit, I will be back in touch as soon as I get started.

Kev

Tags
mahe 36