Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2010, 15:12   #406

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Displacement Hull Speed

Edmund,

The D1-30 engines are nice in the respect that you have the extra power if you need it and you can run fast on one engine and save fuel. Changing props will not make her any faster.
When you hit Hull Speed, that is your limiting factor.
I have plenty of power to spare but am limited by Hull Speed.
The only way to go faster than displacement Hull Speed is to buy a longer boat, not buy an oversized prop.

I have been at Hull Speed a few times and its nice to impress the friends, but you can see the dollar bills shooting out the sugar scoops at a high rate and your wallet feels like it just went on a diet

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2010, 00:48   #407

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Hull speed

I'm not convinced about this, Mark.

The normal way of calculating hull speed don't quite fit for a catamaran. Calculated the old way we would have a hull speed of 8,3 knots, and we all know they go faster.
It's well known that a long narrow hull may manage to get out of it's own wave, and I think (or perhaps hope..) our hull's do it fairly easy. And it's also well known that if you do, the wave resistance isn't increasing in the same rate as it is before you hit the wave. It 's a bit like a boat planing: once you pass the barrior, the increase in resistance drops.
When you say you hit hull speed, I actually think you have passed it, and the reason for the dollar spending is that your engines is running at max RPM, as your props don't allow anything else.

All this is of course pure assumptions from me, as I have not tried anything yet nor do I have any qualifications on the issue, I'm only guessing...

What speed do you feel is your hull speed when motoring, and at what RPM? And what is the max speed ever reached, also when sailing?

Edmund
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 23:53   #408

I've been informed by FP that they refuse to deliver my boat with 18x13 folding props within warranty. So I will have to stick with the 17x12 for now...
Old 29-04-2010, 03:41   #409

Boat: Switch 51 #10
sails or engine?

Edmund, Mark and others,
I am a bit surprised about the focus on engine horsepower, propeller diameter, speed when under engine etcetera. The Mahe being a sailboat.
If I would spend extra money, I would purchase a code 0 sail, for 60-110 degrees wind when we can not use the spi.

We are happy to engine at 2000 rpm using one engine, or 1700 rpm using two engines. The ship will do 5 knots (2 * 20 HP). Sometimes we even do 1700 rpm on engine engine, 4.5 knots.
And we only use the engine prolonged if boat speed falls below 2 knots or so, or if we have to reach a certain location for the tide or a bridge opening.
Last season we used 300 liters of fuel in 270 engine hours (135 each engine). Only in one case in 7200 nm, in 2008, I would have appreciated more power. To get against the force 8 wind.

Kind regards,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 06:19   #410

Jef,
The possibility of achieving perhaps as much as 40-50% higher speed as we would in a similar size monohull, both sailing and motoring, was important to us when we chose to go for a catamaran.
On rig and sails it seems to be well known what to do to utilize and optimize the Mahe's potential, but when it comes to motoring speed I think there is more to gain. And motoring speed is important to some of us who comes from a life in a motorboat. I think there is a lot of motorboat-owners who would like to convert to sail, but hesitate because of the big drop in motoring speed. I also think that the sail catamaran manufacturers don't utilize this selling argument as well as they could have done.

Edmund
Old 30-04-2010, 10:54   #411

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
FWIW,

As I researched whether to buy the normal engine or option for the larger one, after consulting the factory engineers, the conclusion was that the larger engine will burn more fuel and not move the boat any faster.

I normally motor at the optimum rpm, where the torque curve starts to flatten and the fuel economy is best. I'm not the least bit disappointed in the smaller engine. The few times we motor with wind on the nose isn't worth the cost, both capital and operating costs, of the larger engine.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 18:21   #412

Community Sponsor

Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 Evolution

In premier and while waiting her official presentation in the main boat shows of the world.
Here is the introduction of the: MAHE 36 EVOLUTION.

She benefits of the highest level of innovation of the range. The improvements including:
- A totally rigid bimini with integrates a dual helm seat
- The main sail track is mounted on the bimini.
She Joins the new look of the Fountaine Pajot range.
http://www.catamaran-mahe-evolution.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAHE 36 EVOLUTION1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	16300   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	16301  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	16302   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	16303  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	16304   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	16305  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	16306   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	16307  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	16308   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	16309  

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	16310   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	16311  

Old 20-05-2010, 18:24   #413

Community Sponsor

Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36 Evolution

After only three years in production, Fountaine Pajot has sold over 120 of its original Mahé 36 catamaran model, the smallest sailing cat in the company’s fleet.

For 2010 the boat has been re-designed with the addition of even more big-boat features, the most obvious being the addition of a full-length integrated hard top, making the Mahé 36 Evolution the first cat in its class with such a feature.

The rigid bimini houses all the sailing controls, including the mainsheet track and an integrated double helm seat for a commanding 360-degree view, just like its larger sibling the Lipari 41. This frees-up the entire cockpit for relaxing and entertaining. The result is a vast open living area protected from the sun and rain all the way from the spacious 160 sq ft saloon back to the aft guard-rails.

Inside there are also some design developments inspired by the newer, larger sailing cats in Fountaine Pajot’s range. The galley is equipped with better storage, two stainless steel sinks and a larger 130-litre capacity front-opening fridge, which is situated closer to the cockpit. The saloon table and main seating area has also been joined by a built-in bench seat that faces forward and doubles as another storage area.

Saloon comfort and ventilation have also been enhanced with the addition of two hatches either side of the mast in the wrap-around front screen. Throughout the boat the cabinetry is finished in cherry wood and upholstered with chocolate-coloured fabrics.

“The original design set a new standard in the 36-foot catamaran class and the new Evolution model takes the Mahé 36 to the next level,” says Carl Livett of M.i.Cats in Chichester, the UK’s sole importer of Fountaine Pajot catamarans. “The yard has taken a great design and made it even better – a real leader in its class.”

Available in two different versions, the ‘Trio’ will firstly appeal as a family yacht with a spacious three-cabin layout. But, in the ‘Duo’ two-suite set up (one suite per hull), the Mahé 36 is the envy of any 36-foot cruiser – an unbeatable package of space, comfort and privacy.

All this combined with the quality that comes with buying from the world’s most experienced cruising catamaran builder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	16312   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	16313  

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	16314   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	16315  

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	16316  
Old 26-05-2010, 05:43   #414

Boat: Woodwind 10.3 catamaran
Dear Sailors
Can anybody advice me on which autopilot system to buy for the mahe 36 evolution? Especialy the drive unit has interest as the boat will be used for long term cruising.
Best Regards
Jan Iversen
Jan Iversen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 06:11   #415

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
The factory can supply you with an autopilot in the Navigation package. I have a Furuno unit in mine, which came with the boat. Never had a problem with it and use it all the time.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 06:12   #416

Community Sponsor

Furuno NavPilot 511 autopilot

Jan Iversen,

Most FP Mahe’s are using the Furuno NavPilot 511 autopilot with a hydraulic ram to the steering quadrant.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5280072.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	16610   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5280074.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	16611  

Old 27-05-2010, 01:39   #417

Furuno Autopilot

Thank you or your fast reply! Is it possible for you to be more specific on the drive unit, brand name and number? It does not seems to be incl. with the control unit? How long movement must it be able to make? Is there an electric bypass valve (for manual steering)? How much current can I expect it to draw?
Regards
Jan
Old 27-05-2010, 04:46   #418

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Jan
You should check again with F-P. There are 2 options for electronics, one has the Autopilot. The boat also comes with an emergency tiller (hope no one has to use it).
To steer the boat manually, you just turn the autopilot off. I don't know if I'm understanding your question properly. I don't remember the exact current draw, but it is quite a bit. You should look up the Furuno NavPilot 511 for the spec's.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 21:44   #419

Thank you for your info. I'm now better informed to choose an autopilot.
regards Jan
Old 05-07-2010, 12:05   #420

At home, at last.

Our Mahe is finally in her berth in Norway, after a 1350 Nm trip from La Rochelle, up the Irish sea, through the Caledonian Channel, via Shetland across the North sea and home. A fantastic 16 days journey in a fantastic boat (effective 14 days, we made a two days break in Lerwick)
I think our hull 108 might be the last one delivered with the "old" design, maybe expect for the hull 69, built in 2008, still laying in the harbour in La Rochelle, with the plastic covers still covering the pillows and only 30 hours on the engines. I didn't ask why it was still lying there.
Our Mahe has the square top main, and one line reefing, very satisfied with both. The boat make no noise or squeaks whatsoever, so far. According to your reports, I was expecting some squeaks, but no, it's just silent.
On the other hand, we were a bit suprised by the occational very heavy banging in the tunnel with the seas coming in 45 deg sideways. Several times we vere sure we had hit some really heavy object in the water, but no, we didn't... We just need to get used to that.
Now we look forward to a nice, but windy summer in western Norway.

Tags
mahe 36