Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27   #361

Boat: Lagoon L42
She was sailed by a delivery crew from Reliance. Trip took forever as they had to avoid the tropical storms & hurricanes on the crossing. Came via the Azores and Bermuda.
Red canvas meaning bimini, main sailbag & genny UV strip. Sails primarily white, of course!

Chuck

Click image for larger version

Name:	~5019691.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	439.6 KB
ID:	9802
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:56   #362

Boat: Privilege 37
Had a look at a Mahe today for the first time.

I really liked some features, but others left me cold. The engine hatch access from the sugar scoops makes this one a non-starter from my viewpoint. Other features might have been trade offs, but this was a deal-breaker.
Old 10-10-2009, 13:06   #363
DtM

Interesting, why?
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 00:42   #364

bad weather - engine failure! too high a risk to work on the engine.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:41   #365

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Talbot, I don't understand you. There are 2 engines. When one breaks down you use the other one to get into a harbour and fix it there.
Only risk of both engines breaking down could be if your fuel was polluted with water or bacteria, but the two engines have completely different fuel lines and filters.
Furthermore I think that at least 90 % of engine failures is due to insufficient maintenance.

In 44 knots of wind we have had breakers on the sugar scoops. I found some drops of seawater on the engines afterwards, to prevent future rust I have cleaned the engines.
Having the engine access outside keep the heat and the smell out.
Rgds,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:38   #366

As a Cat owner for over 21 years, I do recognise the redundancy issue. I also recognise the advantage of the engine heat noise and smell kept out of the accomodation. Access such as on the Privilege 39 is acceptable, access such as on the Mahe is NOT FOR ME.

I can recognise that it is acceptable for other people, after all that is why there are different designs of boat available.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:55   #367

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
As a Cat owner for over 21 years, I do recognise the redundancy issue. I also recognise the advantage of the engine heat noise and smell kept out of the accomodation. Access such as on the Privilege 39 is acceptable, access such as on the Mahe is NOT FOR ME.

I can recognise that it is acceptable for other people, after all that is why there are different designs of boat available.

Besides, if it is inside one can work on the engine with the air conditioner running.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 14:47   #368

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
sailing photos

Martin

Thanks for sharing those photos. I am now getting impatient to head up north. Having had a go at FP, I thought it would be a good time to show why we bought our Mahes in the first place.

Here is a photo of WW doing between 8 & 9 kts in Sydney Harbour. We weren't racing anyone, but did overtake a few boats. Some guys on one boat were staring at us, so I waved at them. They kept staring (glaring?) so I shrugged it off as a mono vs cat thing. I usually get a wave back from cats, but the reaction from deep keelers is mixed.

Anyway, I turned and sauntered back to the helm, camera in hand, to check up on things, when it hit me: no one was at the helm! Wind was blowing 17kts, I was on starboard tack, so after checking that the coast was clear, I pressed the auto button and enjoyed the scenery. One guest was on the tramps taking photos, and the rest were in the cockpit with food and drinks on the table. The monos were at various angles of heel, so I guess they weren't too happy about us "non-sailors" overtaking them, oh, so casually.

JohnC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fast sail.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	10475  
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 08:29   #369

Boat: Mahe 36 Southern Cross
Fountain Pajot Mahe 36

Hello All
My name is Al and Itook del. of my mahe 36 in France in Nov. of 08. I sailed it back to the US myself with 3 other crew. Sailed it to miami and then up to long island where it is now. The dealer I bought if from was Willmarusa which is now out of business. He stiffed me on $ 30,000.00 worth of options which I paid for and never recieved. He kept the boat in his yard for 8 months and told he was working on getting the work done. He lied all the time. JC knows this dealer very well. Have read most of the post and it sounds like it will be a great site. Hope to add when I can to learn alot also.
longislandsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 09:12   #370

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandsail View Post
Hello All
My name is Al and Itook del. of my mahe 36 in France in Nov. of 08. I sailed it back to the US myself with 3 other crew. Sailed it to miami and then up to long island where it is now. The dealer I bought if from was Willmarusa which is now out of business. He stiffed me on $ 30,000.00 worth of options which I paid for and never recieved. He kept the boat in his yard for 8 months and told he was working on getting the work done. He lied all the time. JC knows this dealer very well. Have read most of the post and it sounds like it will be a great site. Hope to add when I can to learn alot also.
Dang!

I was just "that close" to buying one from him when I was looking at JC's boat at the November 08 show in St. Pete.

The deal sounded too good to be true. Free docking for a year if able to show, lots of "stuff" etc.

Hmmm..............
Old 16-10-2009, 09:17   #371

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Welcome aboard Longislandsail

We Purchased our Mahe from WillmarUSA in Feb. 2009 and all went well, so maybe we were just lucky. Hope to see you in Long Island Sound next summer. Have not been to Port Jeff in a few years but had fun when we where there.

The Mahe is a great boat and I am sure you will have a lot of fun with her.
We sure had a ball this past summer just about living on her all season.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 10:17   #372

Boat: Alura 30
Nice to hear from you Al.This is a very nice and helpfull thread,we can help each other solving problems. Sorry to hear about your problems with willmar....I also was suppose to get stuff for letting them use my boat at the St pete boat show. I am still waiting ....Are you planning to come down this way anytime soon? we should try to have a Mahe gathering in Florida sometime.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 10:24   #373

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I also was suppose to get stuff for letting them use my boat at the St pete boat show. I am still waiting

JC.
Sorry to hear that JC.
Old 16-10-2009, 11:55   #374

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
JC
I would very much like to have a get together. In fact Irie Cat and Oceanview are planning to cruise the Bahamas, we are leaving in December to make the crossing. If any other Mahe owners want to join us, you are all welcome.
I also bought my Mahe from Willmar. I have had my issues as well, but nothing like Al's.
I do have a question, since Willmar is out of business, who do we use for service issues? My trampoline ripped and I need to replace it, does anyone have a suggestion who I need to call or where I can get a replacement?
Thanks
Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 20:30   #375

Boat: Mahe 36 Southern Cross
Hi Mark
Maybe you could send me your email address so we could talk without everyone else having to listen to us. Was the boat ordered or did he have one. how did you get it del. I love the boat it sailed well across the atlantic, just hate the dealer. Did you by options from him. Where in Conn. do you live, would like to meet and talk. My email is longislandsail@aol.com
Al
longislandsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36