Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-07-2008, 22:20   #271

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
Tellie,

I have a picture of my boat on this site. If you want to see more, contact me at wetnwicked@gmail.com

Crak

Old 24-07-2008, 06:57   #272

Boat: Mahe 36 Simba
Delivery of a New Vessel

Hello Ladies and Gentleman,
I need a little information, I am about to take possession of a Mahe 36 in France. I have been recently informed that I need to pay the balance in full up to three weeks before the boat is splashed in La Rochelle. I would receive tittle to the boat several days later once all the monies have been cleared in la Rochelle.
It is a little difficult for me to give up my cash and not take possession.
To anyone who has bought a boat from Fountain Pajot, is this standard operating procedure and what was your experience like in France.
Thanks
Bill

Old 24-07-2008, 16:46   #273
DtM

Plenty have done it before you I suspect, indeed we had to pay to have the boat released from the factory and then had to have it delivered to Oz.

Having said that you should make sure that yoru insurance covers your boat from the time you pay for it or that FP have the relevant insurance. Sounds like FP will effectively control your boat for the first three weeks that you "own" it. Make sure you know what and when they are doing with it.

What does the dealer you bought it through think?
Old 24-07-2008, 18:06   #274

Boat: Mahe 36
I picked my Mahe up in La Rochelle in September 2007.

I think the dealer originally wanted 100% of the money before the boat splashed but I wasn't comfortable with that so I had the contract changed to 10 days from commissioning.

As Dtm says I think it depends on your agreement with the dealer.
Old 24-07-2008, 18:49   #275
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Most of the Fountaine Pajots that I've quoted insurance for the Trans-Atlantic deliveries were paid in full by the owner just a few days or weeks before the launch. If you don't pay for the boat in full, then your dealer has to pay in full before the builder will release the boat, and you can imagine that the dealer does not want to be left holding the bag if you change your mind. Many of the new owners have flown over to La Rochelle to inspect the boat before completing the transaction. So yes, it sounds pretty normal. Throw in a mad dash to get financing & insurance in place before the launch and you're all set!
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 22:17   #276
DtM

Touching on finance.

In Australia it is very difficult to get mainstream finance for a private vessel until it is in the country.

Different story if it is for charter when they will pay the factory.

I do not know why.
Old 28-07-2008, 06:47   #277

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I also had to pay for the boat in full before it went in the water, then it took 2 more months for it to be delivered. I agree that you need to have your insurance in order before the boat goes in the water. I would also suggest that you have all the delivery details agreed to and scheduled.

Scott
Old 28-07-2008, 06:59   #278

Will these companies not accept Letters of Credit?
If they have letters of credit, their money is safe if they are ethical and not going out of business, and therefore so is your money, so the day comes the bank releases the L of C, they get their money you get your boat!!
Old 04-08-2008, 16:44   #279
DtM

Bill,

Do you know what hull number you will be?

Just interested to see the progression of the boat.

Our hull number is 29 and it left the factory in March 2007.

I will look at the batten cars over the weekend or (if we get there) at the Sydney Boatshow today.

daniel
Old 07-08-2008, 00:06   #280
DtM

Visa V,

What number hull is yours ?

daniel
Old 25-08-2008, 08:46   #281

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Squeaking

We also experienced serious squeaking. It comes and goes. In our case it was mainly due to wood from the kitchen touching and rubbing the inner fibreglass shell, immediately at the rear end of the top of the starboard stairs. On the port side there is also a squeak, but we still have to localize that one; it is less annoying.
The one on starboard was really maddening, even the smallest movement of the ship caused a serious squeak caused by stick-slip from rubbing. We have solved it temporarily by working a piece of baking paper (folded to be e.g. 8- or 16-fold) between the kitchen's wood and the inner shell. Problem is this paper wears through, and you have to replace the baking paper now and then.
One reason for the squeaking occurring is, in our case: The whole kitchen / starboard hut woodenassembly is glued to the hull with big blobs of Sikaflex-like stuff; a white marine kit/glue. And this glue does not held well to the plastic surface of the wooden kitchen panels; I have already seen a number of spots where this kit has come loose.
This means that the kitchen can move around more than originally, meaning that the level of squeaking changes.
From a heavy sea the squeaking can change, due to the whole kitchen block shifting position slightly, is my impression.

I have infomed the dealer about this; I hope to get a reaction from him how he proposes to solve this. He might inform or ask Fountaine Pajot.

Regards
Jef
Mahe 88 "Miss Poes"
Old 25-08-2008, 12:58   #282

Send a message via AIM to pguillemin Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
squeaking

Hello Jef

You got the problem spot on.We had the issue on some boats and fixed it by adding a layer of caulking to the jonction of the wood and fiberglass.
It has cured the problem ...so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
We also experienced serious squeaking. It comes and goes. In our case it was mainly due to wood from the kitchen touching and rubbing the inner fibreglass shell, immediately at the rear end of the top of the starboard stairs. On the port side there is also a squeak, but we still have to localize that one; it is less annoying.
The one on starboard was really maddening, even the smallest movement of the ship caused a serious squeak caused by stick-slip from rubbing. We have solved it temporarily by working a piece of baking paper (folded to be e.g. 8- or 16-fold) between the kitchen's wood and the inner shell. Problem is this paper wears through, and you have to replace the baking paper now and then.
One reason for the squeaking occurring is, in our case: The whole kitchen / starboard hut woodenassembly is glued to the hull with big blobs of Sikaflex-like stuff; a white marine kit/glue. And this glue does not held well to the plastic surface of the wooden kitchen panels; I have already seen a number of spots where this kit has come loose.
This means that the kitchen can move around more than originally, meaning that the level of squeaking changes.
From a heavy sea the squeaking can change, due to the whole kitchen block shifting position slightly, is my impression.

I have infomed the dealer about this; I hope to get a reaction from him how he proposes to solve this. He might inform or ask Fountaine Pajot.

Regards
Jef
Mahe 88 "Miss Poes"
Old 26-08-2008, 10:00   #283
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Hello Jef

You got the problem spot on.We had the issue on some boats and fixed it by adding a layer of caulking to the jonction of the wood and fiberglass.
It has cured the problem ...so far
What about a srip of UHMW Poly.
Old 26-08-2008, 12:58   #284

Send a message via AIM to pguillemin Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Do not know
The sealant/caulking work well but I am sure that there is some other solution
On a couple of boats we also shaved a thin layer of wood and noise went away
Old 27-08-2008, 07:29   #285

Boat: FP Mahe 36
It appeared that the gap between the wood and fiberglass was too small for even a piece of paper. I used a drop or two of veg. oil that worked for a while but I need to reaply. Could the caulk work for me?

Tags
mahe 36

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: