Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2008, 17:49   #1

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
bottom paint athena 38

i know i am an idiot but i cannot remember how much paint i used last haulout. can anyone with a athena tell me how much you used....jt
Old 21-05-2008, 18:21   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
One and a half gallons per coat with a 3/8" nap roller.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2008, 20:13   #3

Lagoon 420 - BVI Charter

Hi,

I have chartered catamarans in the BVI for the last seven years for about 20 days each year. This year I had to opportunity to try out the Lagoon 420. First let me say that I have sailed better boats, but I have never been on a better boat.

Everyone claims the they are under canvased and I agree, but the plus side is that you don't have to reef the main in 20-25 knot winds. I experinced about half wind speed at 15-20 knots, and I can live with that.

I really enjoyed having all the lines coming back to the helm. I would put her into the wind, hit auto pilot, raise the main, bear off to 60 degress, hit auto pilot, unfurl the jib, sit back and relax.

My wife and I had the aft guest bedroom for the first ten days and the owners side for the next ten days. The aft bedroom was fine, except the storage was a little skimpy. The forward cabin has a little more storage. We were really impressed with the owners side. Having a stand alone shower and good sized bathroom was great. And storage galore.

This cat didn't have the G2 upgrade yet and I can see why they need it. The generator would not stop running after the batteries were charged so we just turned it off, which was no big deal.

The only thing that I am critical about is the signs of rust. There were a far amount of places that already started rusting. If I was the owner of this boat, I would be very upset about that. Everything that Lagoon purchased for the boat was very good quality, but the items that they designed and built were not marine quality.

Other then that, we were very pleased with the boat overall and will try and charter one again.

Regards,

Jerry
aztanglefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 18:44   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
I used 2 gal/coat (one on each hull) on my Privilege 37 with Micron/Extra ablative paint. Ablative needs more coats than hard paint, so I put on 3 coats plus extra on waterline and rudders...6 gals total. Ouch! I'm up to 28 months since last haul and hoping to get a full 3 years before next haul. I'm hoping that extra coat will prove to be cost effective in the long run.
Old 30-05-2008, 23:30   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
I use 12 liters for 2 coat's (extra on leading edges & water line) rolled on my Athena 38 with Micron/Extra ablative paint. Don't forget to leave some for touch-up when it's lifted.

Regards,

Craig
Crak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint