Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2010, 02:42   #1

Boat: Havkat, 36 foot, Lazycat + Athena 38, Mandalay
Question Black- and Gray-Water Tanks ? Hull ID Location ?

We have this winther purchased an Athena 38 - build 2000, private owned 4 cabin model.
The boat is not fitted with any holding tanks.
We want to implement Black. and Gray water tanks.

We want to explore the Adriatic Sea and parts of the Meditirranean during the next years - on our way back to our home port in Denmark. (Or maybe we stay in the Meditirranean?)

I wonder, if anybody have had experiences implementing holding
tank(s) and helping possibly transfer the "How to do" - and best knowledge in order to help me doing thing correct and smartest.

I think, there are space for tanks in the anchor locker port area and it seems, that some 3 prepared holes (Which can be used for the necessary tube guiding?) can be seen coming from each toilet cabin and up to the area in front of the refrigirator and sofa.
--
Another question: Where is the hull-ID situated in an Athena 38??

Hope for some assistance - thanks in advance.

Niels
Lazy Cat - and now Mandalay
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 03:52   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
I believe, on most FP's the hull-ID is stamped in the gelcoat on the starboard transom.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 06:14   #3
jkd

Welcome to this forum too Niels.

It's always good to get a second opinion.

THE '96 I chartered had a data plate next to the wheel and a single tank in the forward port locker.

Again, good luck.

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 06:45   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
On mine(95) the holding tank is in the anchor locker, port side as well. I personally don't care for the plumbing line routing FP used because the hoses route through the large storage area under the salon seats where we keep food and are not properly protected from things bouncing aginst them in a rough sea. I find the higher location of the holding tank compared to the heads much lower location a bad set up. In the case of a hose leak near the tank, not only would it spoil whatever is stored below the salon seats, the natural path the drainage would take is down the two recessed areas just behind the forward bunks in the carpeted area. Not a good outcome. I am at the point now in deciding on two alternatives, both included removing the holding tank completly. I am either considering installing two holding tanks one in each bow area to service the two heads independantly and re route the plumbing in the bilge area or just going with compositing heads and forget the hassle of holding tanks altogether. I'm really leaning in that direction of the compositing heads and hoping for the added storage space in the chain locker and what seems, at this point, to be a less out lay of boat bucks.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 07:08   #5
jkd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
or just going with compositing heads and forget the hassle of holding tanks altogether. I'm really leaning in that direction of the compositing heads and hoping for the added storage space in the chain locker and what seems, at this point, to be a less out lay of boat bucks.
Hello Tellie,

Have you measured the area in the head for the composting toilet? I thought they took up a little more space and the present head location is kind of tight from recollection.
Any particular brand you are looking at?

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2010, 14:58   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd View Post
Hello Tellie,

Have you measured the area in the head for the composting toilet? I thought they took up a little more space and the present head location is kind of tight from recollection.
Any particular brand you are looking at?

John

Hi John,

I haven't measured anything as of yet but from the looks of the compositing units you may be right. It does looks like a tight fit. As far as brand I was considering the Natures Head but I'm waiting on a response from the manufacturer on the exact foot print measurements to make sure it will fit. Below is a picture of one installed in a spot that looks as tight as the 38 FPs would be.
http://www.natureshead.net/Images/Ro...catInstall.JPG
Old 21-03-2010, 02:48   #7

Thaanks for the inputs - both Tellie and John.

It is absolutely an interesting point of view - the compositing head idea.
I will investigate this possibility before, we take any decision.
In case of the compositing solution - how do you expect to handle the gray water?
Just dump in the old/current traditional way - or do you have some interesting ideas here as well?

First of all - I will next week - take a more detailed check at the vessels details, how the actual possibilities are for handling the more conventional plumping system. (In 1 or 2 holding tanks.

Niels
Old 21-03-2010, 05:06   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Here are the measurements that I recieved from Natures Head. (A very quick response from them, especially on a weekend.) I'm a bit concerned about the 23 1/2" measurement but it seems the rachet may save the day. I'll be taking real measurements from the boat later today and report back.

" Allow 2 1/2 inches behind the head if
against a bulkhead, if you have room. The head is 17 1/2 inches front to
back,the base is 13 inches wide, the bowl including the trap door arm is
16 1/2 inches.From the left air intake to the exhaust housing it is 18 1/2
inches. The crank adds 4 1/2 inches to the base of 13 inches. Complete
width left side air housing to the right side of the crank is 23 1/2
inches. If you are tight for room the crank can be left off, then use the
extended nut and a rachet wrench and eliminate 4 inches. The head is 20
inches tall. "

Old 23-03-2010, 21:10   #9
DtM

The Hull ID is definitely outboard at the stern of the starboard hull.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:19   #10

After visiting our Athena during Eastern - I can mention, that the ID-number was found on the inner side of the starboard hull (Outside). Situated a litte below, where the hull and the deck are joined together.

I can mention - that it is not easy to observe - even you know, that we have to look at the starboard stern end. (We found it, during the polishing process - and not during the first days, where we were searching for the ID. I have to mention, that we did expect, that the boat was the right boat - due to the reason, that both engine IDs were ok. But it is nice to know - at least the day you want to sell the boat again.)

-----
Concerning the holding tank solution - we will make some more studies during summer. The immediate problem - can be solved in a preliminar way unitil a permanent solution is choosen.
But thanks for the input - until now.

Niels - Mandalay

Tags
holding tank, water, hull ID number