Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2012, 00:54   #16

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
Re: Belize 43 survey

I have tried uploading three pic's from my PC but they don't show up in this message box! Can someone in the Forum please simplify that attachment system so it works for us less minded og computers?

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0248.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	42251   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0247.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	414.5 KB
ID:	42252  

Name:	DSCN0249.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	42253  
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 01:00   #17

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

It did work appearntly, but it should show up in my text box as well!

The bimini itself is a composite construction with dual sandwich glassed on both sides. The edging around was a massive task to hand grind and add gelcoat until it looked good the wet and sand and polish, redo again as the polished surface show up all imperfections in the gelcoat.

The bimini is supported by 50mm stanchion and some 32mm bracing.

I do not have any drawings left for this construction as it has been partly designed as I went along and some reinforcing bracing done after it was installed.

Hope the pic's give a general idea of the installation.

Happy lead free sailin
Lycky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2012, 05:31   #18

Hi Lucky
Apologies for the late reply but I have been absent a lot lately.
The photos look great and I can see it would be very practical especially in colder climates like yours.
I hope to design and build something similar next year so a little inspiration is much appreciated, thanks.
I plan to mount solar panels on top and design in a gutter right around the outside edge to act as a rainwater collection point.
I will investigate installing solid acrylic windows at the forward edge and then clears all round the sides and aft as you have done.

Wayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 20:08   #19

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Just on the chain piling up under the windlass does that mean that in practical terms you must always have someone forward when retrieving the anchor. Therefore it could not be done by remote from the helm with only the skipper aboard? It that is the case I will have to try and workout some way of overcoming this, hopefully.
Wayne[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne the Lavezzis do the same as do many boats, I fitted a wireless winch control which allows you to control the winch from anywhere on the boat, but yes you do need someone to clear it out.
I tried fitting a ramp underneath the gypsy but it still piles up, it takes a bit longer.
Le Dome tells me that using SS chain will fix it because it is slipperier but I haven't forked out the cash to find out yet.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:02   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

This was one person's solution - The boat is an FP Bahia. Not the most aesthetically pleasing installation but maybe with a bit more thought and attention to detail......???
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030950@[1].jpg
Views:	438
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	44321  
Kiwikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:23   #21

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran

I'm familiar with various cats but not the Belize 43, so based on experience I can only add one small piece of general advice regarding the survey which may be difficult to heed: By all means hire a good surveyor familiar with similar boats in similar climates, but equally important go through the survey process constantly noting all the maintenance and changes you would want to make the boat yours. I was already infatuated with my boat prior to survey and am still very glad to have the boat I purchased, caveat being shortly after purchase I found a number of maintenance and upgrades to my boat that were needed which I was previously unaware of. So long story short, I'm still VERY glad with my purchase but the combination of having a bad survey and already being infatuated with my boat cost me thousands of dollars and countless hours personally getting my boat ship shape for almost a full year after purchase.. Especially in a buyers market, even if you're already infatuated with your prospective boat try as best as you can to do an in depth "personal survey" in parallel to a "professional survey."

And I 2nd Lucky's "happy lead free sailing" good wishes,
Dave
SunnySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 23:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I have tried uploading three pic's from my PC but they don't show up in this message box! Can someone in the Forum please simplify that attachment system so it works for us less minded og computers?

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky
Very nice, how did you deal with the helm station?
Old 03-08-2012, 00:08   #23

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
Sure glad about the through hulls. Guess I will have only 7 to contend with. Out of interest is it common practice to keep the appropriate sized wooden bungs alongside each of these through hulls?
Always tie the bung to the through-hull with some fishing line. That's actually a rule for offshore racing and good practice. They'll do you no good in your parts storage area. These cats do have a lot of through-hull fittings (my Lavezzi had 23 until I removed some) at or below the waterline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
Just on the chain piling up under the windlass does that mean that in practical terms you must always have someone forward when retrieving the anchor. Therefore it could not be done by remote from the helm with only the skipper aboard? It that is the case I will have to try and workout some way of overcoming this, hopefully.
Wayne
In practice the chain piles up quickly enough that you really need to be there. In light winds that's OK for one person, but in a blow you'll need someone driving the boat and another clearing the chain. It's virtually impossible to fit a deep chain locker on a cats bridge deck so it's just one of those things you have to live with!

Cheers, Cameron
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Wayne
Hi Wayne the Lavezzis do the same as do many boats, I fitted a wireless winch control which allows you to control the winch from anywhere on the boat, but yes you do need someone to clear it out.
I tried fitting a ramp underneath the gypsy but it still piles up, it takes a bit longer.
Le Dome tells me that using SS chain will fix it because it is slipperier but I haven't forked out the cash to find out yet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Dragon Lady I will check in with Le Doume on the stainless chain. Expensive but if it works it would be worth it.
Did you ever hear anything further from FP as I certainly have not.
Kind regards
Wayne
Old 05-08-2012, 06:59   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat View Post
This was one person's solution - The boat is an FP Bahia. Not the most aesthetically pleasing installation but maybe with a bit more thought and attention to detail......???
Thanks for that KiwiKat I am not sure that I would embark on cutting a hole in a perfectly good locker and hull to end up with that. But points for thinking outside the square to whoever came up with that!
Kind regards
Wayne
Old 05-08-2012, 07:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySky View Post
I'm familiar with various cats but not the Belize 43, so based on experience I can only add one small piece of general advice regarding the survey which may be difficult to heed: By all means hire a good surveyor familiar with similar boats in similar climates, but equally important go through the survey process constantly noting all the maintenance and changes you would want to make the boat yours. I was already infatuated with my boat prior to survey and am still very glad to have the boat I purchased, caveat being shortly after purchase I found a number of maintenance and upgrades to my boat that were needed which I was previously unaware of. So long story short, I'm still VERY glad with my purchase but the combination of having a bad survey and already being infatuated with my boat cost me thousands of dollars and countless hours personally getting my boat ship shape for almost a full year after purchase.. Especially in a buyers market, even if you're already infatuated with your prospective boat try as best as you can to do an in depth "personal survey" in parallel to a "professional survey."

And I 2nd Lucky's "happy lead free sailing" good wishes,
Dave
Thanks Dave I think that is very sensible advice for me and for others. I did find a good surveyor and he produced a detailed report that I am overall happy with. I do know that I have to spend a lot of money to bring her up to what I really want but at least I am aware of some of the things required and am sort of expecting that there will be some expensive additional surprises along the way but hell it is a boat and we all know what that means.
Kind regards
Wayne
Old 05-08-2012, 07:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Always tie the bung to the through-hull with some fishing line. That's actually a rule for offshore racing and good practice. They'll do you no good in your parts storage area. These cats do have a lot of through-hull fittings (my Lavezzi had 23 until I removed some) at or below the waterline.

In practice the chain piles up quickly enough that you really need to be there. In light winds that's OK for one person, but in a blow you'll need someone driving the boat and another clearing the chain. It's virtually impossible to fit a deep chain locker on a cats bridge deck so it's just one of those things you have to live with!

Cheers, Cameron
Thanks Cameron I will secure the bungs with fishing line or cord as I agree it just makes sense to do so. 23 through hull fittings sounds like an awful lot so no wonder you removed some. I will have to do a count of mine when I get on board.
The chain problem when single handing will require some further thought and experimentation but I note your advice.
Kind regards
Wayne
Old 06-08-2012, 16:27   #28

[QUOTE=AussieWayne;1005920Thanks for that Dragon Lady I will check in with Le Doume on the stainless chain. Expensive but if it works it would be worth it.
Did you ever hear anything further from FP as I certainly have not.
Kind regards
Wayne[/QUOTE]

Hi Wayne, no reply as yet.
I'm about to send them a nastygram.
Though it sounds like they are having a lot of warranty claims at the moment.
Old 06-08-2012, 17:44   #29

AussieWayne
How is your search going for a Belize....I am in Adelaide and I am also looking for one (I think)
We have very few cruising cats in Adelaide so the search is focussed on the eastern states.
I noticed your conversation about the hard bimini and this will also be a requirement for me.
Anytime you want to compare notes just email me.

Regards
Schmacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko View Post
AussieWayne
How is your search going for a Belize....I am in Adelaide and I am also looking for one (I think)
We have very few cruising cats in Adelaide so the search is focussed on the eastern states.
I noticed your conversation about the hard bimini and this will also be a requirement for me.
Anytime you want to compare notes just email me.

Regards
Hi Schmacko
I have purchased a Belize 43 Maestro in Cyprus.
I will be adding hardtop bimini with solar panels and a prodder with gennaker/screacher up forward.
The Australian and NZ boats are nearly double the price of boats in any other part of the world which does not make any sense.
There is a Belize 43 Maestro in Mooloolaba that I looked at that was ok but just too expensive for me.
The Belize seems to be a great design and I am looking forward to many years of cruising ahead.
Good luck with your search and hope to cross tacks with you one day.
Wayne

Tags
Belize, belize 43, survey