Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 16:49   #1

Boat: fontaine pajot belize / barbados 43 ft
Belize 43 Performance ?

hey guys. what is the top speed recorded on a belize 43?
nick knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 17:24   #2

Re: belize 43 preformance?

we bought a wrecked belize that capsized and was damage during hurricane thomas. the repairs are pretty much done as well as some performance mods, and would like to compare the results of the mods to a standard belize. any info on cruising speed in relation to wind direction and speed would be great
Old 11-01-2012, 05:19   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

There are way too many variables to make any reasonable comparison. With a 3400kg payload, even a 250kg difference between 2 identical vessels can make a difference in performance.

Then there are sea conditions. The PO of my boat claimed he saw 18kts surfing down a wave in a F8 storm. Does that count? Should we claim that a stock Belize loaded to max for an ocean crossing can do 18kts?

FWIW, recently we were ~60% loaded, beam reach, 17kts of wind, 1 reef in main & genoa and hit 11.7kts surfing down 4-5' waves. We were sustaining ~10.5kts while that wind lasted. I believe we may have had a ~1kt current assist. That's the upper end of what we usually see.

It's a cruising boat, not a racer. Since I don't race, I'm content with 6kts in light winds, any less and I start getting antsy for some help from Yanmar (unless we're just day-sailing). 7kts is my normal goal. On long passages I plan for 6.5 average and we generally arrive earlier than plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	35863  
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:38   #4
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
It's a cruising boat, not a racer.
Boy, that says it all, really, now doesn't it?

An analogy would be competing to see how fast you could drive your motorhome from campground to campground cross country. Yeah, you can probably hit 100 mph in the straights, and wonder about how your stock RV corners vs. the modified ones..

Maybe a better goal is to get there in one piece with no repair bills as a result?
Old 11-01-2012, 14:52   #5

thanks for the info, i know its not a racer but we believe in making any boat as fast as we can get it. after all any two boats going in the same direction is a race isn't it! i just wanted an idea of what it would cruise at from a number of ppl and would take an average from that, i understand that may things affect the over all performance on a given day but it looks like 18 knots is my goal to beat
this boat is going to be a bit lighter, it will be for daycharter cruises so it wont be weighted down with that many thing, except the rum of course
thanks again for the info!
Old 11-01-2012, 20:10   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Relatively flat water, cruising load, and gusting to 20 knots of wind = touching 11.5 knots on beam reach. There may have been a little push from the tide. Add a bit of wave surfing and it could get interesting!

That's a Lavezzi. You'd do better on the Belize. We notice a performance drop with even an extra 250kg aboard (3 crew). I agree that cruiser or not, it's a good thing to see how fast you can make her go!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38   #7

wow it seem like they are faster than i thought, i was guessing about half the wind speed in boat speed, if not less, but you guys are getting more. thats great news
our normal sailing winds here are around 20 kits and the point of sail we will mostly be on is a beam reach. i figure we should get an extra knot or maybe a little more. thanks guys
Old 12-01-2012, 05:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick knowles View Post
wow it seem like they are faster than i thought, i was guessing about half the wind speed in boat speed, if not less, but you guys are getting more. thats great news
Light load, 10-15 aws, I expect 3/4 wind speed from 100 to 70 off decreasing to 1/2 wind speed by 50 off.

Above 15, I've found that reefing early can actually increase speed. I attribute that to keeping the lee hull higher in the water.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:26   #9
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick knowles View Post
i know its not a racer but we believe in making any boat as fast as we can get it. after all any two boats going in the same direction is a race isn't it!

Upon reflection, I find that I agree with your attitude about it wholeheartedly. I confess to lifelong competitive tendencies with heavy emphasis on informed technological sneakiness wherever possible. Hidden is even better.
Old 14-01-2012, 09:54   #10

Boat: Modified Gulfstar built in Steel, 60'
Re: Belize 43 Performance ?

Hi,
I have some questions, I run back and forth between two island, 165 miles. Weather is mainly fine, 2 to 4 seas, winds 8 to 12 knt 75%of the time. With my old 80,000 lb boat and WWII 3-71 80hp engine I was happy making 5 knots. The boat was a dream, but too much of a fixer-upper, too slow, too rolly for charters.

Now I am temporarily in Reno taking care of my wonderful parents and planning for the next boat. I will use it for sail, surf and fish charters, hanging with cruiser friends in paradise.

So the question is: Running a Belize light, (or one similar with a higher bridge deck) tight into wind, 2 to 4' calm seas, light breeze 8 to 12kts, full power is it possible/practical to make 10 knots? Obvious a power cat or wave piercer, or GunBoat 55 is better choice, but for how isolated I am, operating cost, neither seem possible. I need safety, redundancy, sailing ability to get back, and everything a Cat has to offer. Thank you.
Tuaraoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2012, 10:47   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuaraoi View Post
Hi,
I have some questions, I run back and forth between two island, 165 miles. Weather is mainly fine, 2 to 4 seas, winds 8 to 12 knt 75%of the time. With my old 80,000 lb boat and WWII 3-71 80hp engine I was happy making 5 knots. The boat was a dream, but too much of a fixer-upper, too slow, too rolly for charters.

Now I am temporarily in Reno taking care of my wonderful parents and planning for the next boat. I will use it for sail, surf and fish charters, hanging with cruiser friends in paradise.

So the question is: Running a Belize light, (or one similar with a higher bridge deck) tight into wind, 2 to 4' calm seas, light breeze 8 to 12kts, full power is it possible/practical to make 10 knots? Obvious a power cat or wave piercer, or GunBoat 55 is better choice, but for how isolated I am, operating cost, neither seem possible. I need safety, redundancy, sailing ability to get back, and everything a Cat has to offer. Thank you.
There are too many variables to say for sure. My experience is 10kts would not be possible. First, if you are tight to the wind, you've got both the wind and seas in your face, and both will slow you down. I have found that motor sailing in those conditions would give you 1-1.5kts on top of what you can sail. Motoring does allow you to get a little closer to the wind.
Old 14-01-2012, 11:35   #12

Thank you,
Motor-sailing was also some thing I did, really, I was using my main to help control the rolling. So with ones of the Fountaines, kept light and using power only, such as twin 40hp engines is 10 knots practical? As I put my project together I cannot misrepresent this fact in my presentation.

Wind cooperates I motor sail, often going down wind it was the same with my old boat I still motored. Once at destination then it is back to sailing, fishing and surfing, until the day a plane service returns then I am just based out Fanning Island making sailing charters or live a board accommodations.

So just powering? Any suggestions at to what boat might come close?

Thank you for you reply.
Old 20-01-2012, 03:53   #13

i was told that with 40hp and good props that top speed on a belize motoring at about 3000 rpm is about 9 kts. so if you throttle back to a cruising rpm it would probably on be about 8 kits. but it would be confutable with plenty of storage for boards and rods
Old 20-01-2012, 06:56   #14

Thank you Nick, that’s right. Ideally I would go with a bigger faster boat. But for the folks who can afford a faster boat they are limited by the once a week air service, (cash rich and time poor.) I will work towards a Fountaine or a Catana, kept light for performance. Unlike cruisers I have support at each island, so I am not dragiing around the extra weight.
Next up, I am looking for someone who may be interested in repositioning an existing charter boat, and or setting up a syndicate/company similar to what is being done in other charter places. Know any dreamers with the right boat?
Old 21-01-2012, 04:30   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Ballpark figures for our Belize, hull 110, loaded heavily for liveaboard cruising (wife's cookbooks and other kitchen gadgets weigh a lot): with 15 knots of wind, 3-4 ft seas, sailing 60 degrees off the wind, we may see 7.5 knots. Bump the seas up to 6 feet and forward progress slows considerably. I generally use 6 knots as a base speed when planing passages, adjusted accordingly for weather.

On initial sea trials (light ship + 3 men aboard) in Puget sound, I remember hitting 9.5 knots beam reaching in 19 knots apparent wind. I was stoked! Then we started loading her down and my need for speed was no longer satisfied. On the other hand, we saw 12.5 knots for a few moments surfing down the waves entering the Columbia River at Astoria, OR.

Tuaraoi, I think asking for 10 knots from a Belize is a bit much, even with upgrading to 40 hp engines.

I have a hard copy of the polar curve that was on the FP web site when Belize was still in production. It is a theoretical prediction of speed vs. wind angle in 20 knots of wind. It shows that boat speed should be about 11.5 - 11 knots at wind angle of 100 - 130 degrees. If anyone wants a copy, PM me and I'll try to scan it and e-mail it to you or post it here on CF.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
belize 43