Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 16:02   #346
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Yes under sink bottom shelf cupboard removed ....ours is a 6 pax setting ...we use 20 min cycle ...sparkling red wine glasses! Happy wife happy life.
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 16:40   #347

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

whew!!! 2 hours to read this whole thread (with added research!)

We are considering buying an Astrea, and so it was a very educational read.

adds all kinds of wants and luxuries that we couldn't even hope of dreaming about beforBig factor for us is price. We will be buying, and living aboard. My thoughts so far..

1. I don't like the davit system. it's too low.. too short, and with the dinghy sticking under the ledge.. just isn't a great option. I love the platform, but do worry about the weight factor, and repairs... Since we will be at anchor 90% of the time... we would probably go with the swim platform...

2. Regarding the Jack and Jill bathroom. Based on the layout drawings, I think that 2 separate "wet heads" each with their own shower, would not be a great option because the showers would be so small. We have no children, and the only visitors would be family, or friends.Most of the time we would be alone. So, even with the door issue, I think it will be ok. (Just wanted to share that as something to consider for non-charterers)

3. Our biggest issue is price. We originally set out to buy a used cat.. in the $350,000 category. After looking for 5 years for the "perfect cat" for us, that hits all of our "needs", and a few "wants", we have yet to find it. This boat, however, has everything we want... Master Suite with an island berth (a need due to my husband's handicap)... a U-shaped galley (a need, and for safety sailing in rougher waters).. a raised helm (need.. I'm only 4' 13" and need a raised helm to see all corners of the boat for docking ) also a helm where we can easily single OR two person. (most of the boats are great for single handling, but not for double handling due to having the winches and lines right on top of the helm.. can't work around each other well). A place for a washing machine (a need due to the fact that we will be anchoring remotely for long periods of time).. see.. everything. And it also a need.

So, I'm trying to make the price work as it is almost 2x what we wanted to spend. I love that someone posted about the Eur/USD currency exchange rate right now. As we have it optioned out right now, the exchange rate will save us about $70,000.

There is one thing I didn't really see anyone address directly. I'm a bit of an analytic and good with finances and numbers. I've begun working through the options and pricing page, and do you know the EXTREME difference between their factory costs, and what you can do post market? Here is an example. Someone mentioned 3 blade folding props. The pricing sheet has them for $2500 each.. so $5000 I've seen Flexofold on line for about $1500 that's a $2000 SAVINGS! Check out the price on washing machines, and washer drier combos for marine use.. MUCH cheaper than the cost through FP... So, you have them prewire, and plumb, and get your own washer/drier and put it in. Solar arrays (even the flexible ones) are MUCH cheaper elsewhere. I found seadec synthetic teak for only $20 a square foot.. so, FP lists the synthetic teak for JUST the shower at $1100!! figure the shower is only 12 square foot.. That's only $240! and it is extremely easy to make templates (seadek will laser just them )and install yourself.. it's peel and stick! Also, did you check out the price of cockpit refrigerators? It's almost $3000 with FP! As long as they have an electric socket installed.. you can get one for a 3rd of that... and slide it into place yourself. This stuff is no brainers. If you go through and price out the things that you feel you can install post market, you can save 10's of thousands of dollars. So, I"m making a spread sheet and will decide what to do...

We are going to charter in the Abacos in December, and we will get a chance to sail on one, and see what it can do...

Does anyone have a PDF of the owners manual? I know they won't let us have one until we order and have our hull number.. but, I would really like to take a look at it so I can see the electronic schematic, and the way the plumbing issues run, and a host of other things.. If someone is willing, I would love to have it emailed to me. Can you drop me a message and I"ll give you my email address..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2019, 17:40   #348

I have one more questions, the Astrea has the anchor essentially under the windlass, on the underside of the hull. Does anyone know how to get to the anchor to clean it, or hook up the bridle, or even change the anchor? I'm used to the anchor coming up over the center the bow... so, this is a bit different to me. I'd appreciate the mechanics of that.
Old 19-02-2019, 03:30   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
I have one more questions, the Astrea has the anchor essentially under the windlass, on the underside of the hull. Does anyone know how to get to the anchor to clean it, or hook up the bridle, or even change the anchor? I'm used to the anchor coming up over the center the bow... so, this is a bit different to me. I'd appreciate the mechanics of that.

Scarlet,
You can hose the anchor off through the trampoline or through the hole cut in the bridge deck for the anchor/rode. Or you could just put the engine in idle reverse with the anchor just under the surface to wash any sediment off.

The bridle comes up with the anchor rode into the anchor locker where you can connect/disconnect it. There’s a u-bolt to clip the bridle to when not in use as well.

If you need to change an anchor simply lower it into your dinghy and switch anchors. (Although if you get a new generation anchor I don’t see the need to do this). If you simply want to end over end your chain you can secure the anchor on the roller into the anchor locker and swap your chain then reattach.
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 11:01   #350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear06 View Post
Scarlet,
You can hose the anchor off through the trampoline or through the hole cut in the bridge deck for the anchor/rode. Or you could just put the engine in idle reverse with the anchor just under the surface to wash any sediment off.

The bridle comes up with the anchor rode into the anchor locker where you can connect/disconnect it. There’s a u-bolt to clip the bridle to when not in use as well.

If you need to change an anchor simply lower it into your dinghy and switch anchors. (Although if you get a new generation anchor I don’t see the need to do this). If you simply want to end over end your chain you can secure the anchor on the roller into the anchor locker and swap your chain then reattach.
Thank you!!!
Old 19-02-2019, 11:08   #351

I have some "interior design" questions...
1. Does anyone have photos of the interior salon using the "Glacier" fabric? its the light aqua green... I haven't seen what that color looks like in any of the videos/photos/brochures, etc. did anyone select this fabric, and does anyone have a photo?
2. There is an option for "white doors" in the galley. I know what that option looks like for the new 45 that is coming out. (it looks really sharp with being able to see the wood cabinets, offset by the white doors. But I have no idea what it will look like on the Astrea.. did anyone chose that cabinetry option, does anyone have a photo?
5. Did anyone select the Oven/microwave option? I've looked and I'm only finding photos of the oven only. I understand that you can get a smaller sized oven with a microwave above it... love to see what that looks like
6. I've contemplated options for the wood for the floors and "furniture" (as it is listed in the brochure).. but what I am seeing in the pictures is all different kinds of woods through out. Shiny grey in the owners head... all the same flooring throughout, then they will have that golden color in the hulls, and it just looks odd, We would want all the floors to match, and also want all of the cabinetry, to match through out the whole boat.Does anyone know more about this?
Old 19-02-2019, 13:28   #352

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42

I just spent a week on our own #14, as a member of her delivery crew, on the leg from Cascais (portugal) to Santa Cruz de la Palma (Canary Islands). Weather conditions were not particularly favorable, but she did not disappoint in rough seas (see attached video clip).
Silly question: To my surprise, the labeling of electric circuits on the main electric panel are not backlit. A green LED on the switches themselves indicate when they are 'on', but in the dark, there is no telling what switch is what. Could it be that the backlighting on our panel was not working, or that I did not figure out how to turn it on? Any comment from anyone?
Attached Files
This video is currently processing...
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 16:47   #353
MAE

Congratulations on the trip looking forward to your thoughts . So that's 3 Astreas on the water. Brian has brought all the Harry Belafonte and Bob Marley cds in the Bahamas lol celebrating another European Boat of the Year award 2019.
Good luck Scarlett in personalizing your boat ...it's all about your $ v Euro and as you say prices for items ex factory v Warranty v availability .
No boat is perfect!
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 17:16   #354

Ok.. so I have 3 price lists right now, from 3 different sources and the prices are so different. I chose the same options on all 3 price lists, and the difference from the highest to the lowest is over $100,000!!! Why the difference?! if different dealers get different prices.. .then I just want to know who has the best deal.. how do I find this?! Maybe we should all compare notes?
Old 19-02-2019, 20:29   #355
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi guys.

Quick read of the thread sitting at anchor in Guana Cay, Abacos with glass of wine in hand, after our first few days on board our Astrea 'Asgard'. Our first charterer, spent a month on board, and totally loved her. Told the base manager he was in love with the boat and wanted to buy her.

So much I didn't know that is now clear. A few points based on my few days on board and thread additions I've just read:

1. That central shower issue I worried so much about... not sure I'd actually change it now (even though I've has an agreement to reconfigure). I can explain more if anyone interested.

2. Factory options V's After market. We were rigorous on not wanting to mix and match so any warranty issues had one home. As we are chartering, wanted to be very clear where the buck stopped. We are actually very pleased with spec although we know we over paid/had less choice by doing it this way. If this boat was for private use I would probably opt for several after-market items. Our view is we will want to refurb our vessel regularly along the way to keep her to the highest standard so can make those changes as we go.

3. Anchor set up is awesome. There is a sea water hose point right in anchor bay (if you order sea water pump), but as someone mentioned, cleaning by 'dipping' at low speed is even easier.

4. FP def way under-sells this boat on some fronts, and disappoint on a few smaller, fixable items. For example, fit and finish is generally first class. Cabins are so much more spacious than Lucia 40. Courtesy lights and accent lighting in kitchen, cabins and exterior blue lights, is pretty cool. We are lying about 2 boat lengths from a similar size Laggoon and a Leopard- both look positively pedestrian by comparison. But, not knowing how many/ where the electrical outlets were, I'd add 2 more in main salon, for example.

5. The Davitts I worried about: work great. Again, private usage boat the electric platform would be attractive - I do worry about service issues on that however as it is a bit light weight.

6. Water maker: we got the only factory option (120v) and no complaints so far. In an ideal world, a dual 12v/120v might be nice, but so far have loved the ability to fill her up reasonably quickly, when you remember! Most of us do spend a lot of time at anchor, but I'm not sure I'd trust water quality unless it's a highly secluded anchorage, so nice to make it more quickly as you make your way in.

7. We havent had a Garmin discussion on here. I didnt get the second chart plotter. No regrets at all. Synced to the app, so I can see and control the boat on my phone, my ipad and even my watch!(Garmin Quatix5). I've been able to sit up front with my son at the helm while I have a full view of everything I'd see at the helm. But, geeze, the chart plotter features are endless. Almost too much. Even more complex than the Wifi booster! Glad I got it. But took a lot of sorting. Not sure your average consumer user would find it easy. I think will take me several weeks to get on top of everything so can explain it simply to charters. Even the oven needed a dive into one of the ten (?) FP briefcases of manuals.

Bedtime- more ahead. Shout with questions. Summary = generally thrilled so far!
Old 20-02-2019, 12:22   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
1. That central shower issue I worried so much about... not sure I'd actually change it now (even though I've has an agreement to reconfigure). I can explain more if anyone interested.

I'm intrigued by your shower thoughts, Brian. We have opted for the Jack and Jill configuration and are not worried at all about potential gaps. But I'd love to hear what you think about it now that it's there with you. Thanks for all your info, by the way. I have greatly enjoyed reviewing it.

Maz
Proud Astrea owner sometime around Nov '19
No Sprogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 21:54   #357

Water Makers.

We have been recommended the Aquabase ESW601 model by a few Helia owners. Then again, others with older cats have said you can't go past the "agricultural simplicity" of the Cruise 50. The factory fitted offering doesn't stipulate the brand but the 12V 60L/h is €10260 and the 50HZ 180L/h is €13378.

Can I ask what people have fitted or ordered so far please? We have to finalise our options in April and I'm still confused. FYI there will be two of on the boat mostly with up to four guests at the most. La Rochelle pick up May 2020.

Thanks in advance and have a cracking weekend!
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 02:31   #358

The only option available to us within the DYC ownership program was the 180L/h 60Hz Aquabase system.
(Sorry about the pics not showing upright. Not sure why...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0DT3bcPVT5uR+l0T93LvDw.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	413.3 KB
ID:	186423   Click image for larger version

Name:	0zlqBDWrT76jkRabKomxrA.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	409.7 KB
ID:	186424  

Name:	5jL8pUiZRue4lLkOl8cwVQ.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	186425   Click image for larger version

Name:	cU3BpAE1QvSwL1BsGLR6AA.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	363.4 KB
ID:	186426  

Name:	1ACqYBe7QemVy39zoweVFA.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	186427   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qi%4+Hj4Q2G2BVulCOWQfw.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	186428  

Old 22-02-2019, 07:49   #359

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

VP and the Fox - Short answer is we are going with the 60l/12v. Originally going with a 120l but there will be 3 of us full time and then guests and having spent way too long on power requirements etc, we and our broker felt the 60l way to go.
Better to run the water makers more often than infrequently and definitely go with the 12v if you can produce enough power with solar and the extra batteries to store.
We are commissioning Nov 2019.
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 04:53   #360

2nd leg on the delivery of 'Aquarelle'. Sorry for the long edit. Just didn't have time to do a better job.