Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 18:25   #226

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Astréa 42
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Brian, sorry to hear about the delays and your poor experience with FP. I was told just a couple of days ago that ex factory date for our hull #15 is Dec. 20. Now I am seriously questioning the accuracy of this projection. I will be at the boat show on Thursday and will voice our collective concerns over the shower stall doors, although I don't expect anyone from FP to be there, and I'm not confident that our complaining can reach them or would have any effect. Personally, while I'm very disappointed and unhappy about the configuration, I won't lose sleep over it. Still very much looking forward to taking delivery, and hopefully still early in 2019. Hope to meet some of you at the show.
chlemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:58   #227
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi Christophe. Thank you. You might have better luck phoning the FP head quarters and see if you can get someone! Happily join you for a call if you have any luck getting hold of anyone.

If Hull #6 is ex factory this week and Hull #11 is projected wk 49 or wk 50 then hull #15 is (assuming now 1 boat every 2 weeks) more likely late January unless something changes on production rate. In fact, since they will have only managed to complete 5 hulls of the Astrea in the past 5 months, their current projections look very optimistic. In the absence of any proper communication from FP, we end up speculating so better to assume that even January is not reliable. Sad that we have to guess having collectively committed so much money to this company.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:44   #228

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Elba 45

According to Yachting World on youtube FP had sold 130 by May 20th 2018.

I'm sure they have sold more since then. But even if they make 1 a week that's almost a three year wait time just to get the current orders out the door. If they are only just now putting hull #6 into the water and project to have hull #11 out when they say we are still looking at production delays and slipping the delivery schedule.

What is a realistic production schedule for a boat like the Astrea 42? How fast can they turn up production without sacrificing build quality? I expect the production to ramp up as they get more experience in production but what does that do to delivery dates? Delivery dates are going to slide right but it all depends on how FP manages their customer expectations.

This is goign to be interesting to watch to say the least.
Off the Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:32   #229

Boat: Maxum 2800 SCI Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Hook View Post
According to Yachting World on youtube FP had sold 130 by May 20th 2018.

I'm sure they have sold more since then. But even if they make 1 a week that's almost a three year wait time just to get the current orders out the door. If they are only just now putting hull #6 into the water and project to have hull #11 out when they say we are still looking at production delays and slipping the delivery schedule.

What is a realistic production schedule for a boat like the Astrea 42? How fast can they turn up production without sacrificing build quality? I expect the production to ramp up as they get more experience in production but what does that do to delivery dates? Delivery dates are going to slide right but it all depends on how FP manages their customer expectations.

This is goign to be interesting to watch to say the least.
So, if you do the math on the projections above, assuming that as soon as they finish the mould of one hull they move it to the next station (with the 2 week finish time) and start a vessel each week... it will be 2.5 years to get those 130 boats done. That's a long wait time. Granted, the date stated on the article was from back in May, but you have to assume that they've sold many others since then. So the 2.5 years for the wait time is probably pretty close to true.... at least from the sounds of it with all the production delays and such. Sad to hear. I was hoping for closer to 18 mos - 2 years tops.
Rdhdandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:37   #230

Boat: FP Astrea 42 coming soon!

Hi all!

New to the forum as of today (Oct. 3, 2018). My wife Jenny & I have just placed our deposit on the Astrea 42 and are looking forward to seeing her the boat in Annapolis this weekend! We are not expecting delivery until early 2021. Seems like a LONG way away but it will no doubt go by quickly. We look forward to meeting some of you at the show. We also will be part of the drooling crowd!

Greig & Jenny
GRcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 18:30   #231

At the Sydney Boat Show in May, the local reps were talking about over 170 had been sold by that stage. No doubt more by now. It will be interesting to see what, if anything comes out of Annapolis this week.
Sheldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:04   #232

Questions about the Astrea 42 waiting time of more than two years.
I wonder the long waiting time is due to the dealers hold many boats without actual sales.
If I go to yachtworld site and looking for Astrea 42, there are at least 3 new boast for sale delivery around early 2019.
dooleedooroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:11   #233

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooleedooroo View Post
Questions about the Astrea 42 waiting time of more than two years.
I wonder the long waiting time is due to the dealers hold many boats without actual sales.
If I go to yachtworld site and looking for Astrea 42, there are at least 3 new boast for sale delivery around early 2019.
Or, as I discovered once, it's a sales ploy to get you to sign up for one. Those I saw are all base versions, which usually means they're to be ordered after you choose the options.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 18:48   #234

Hi all,

I spent the entire day yesterday at the Annapolis boat show.
The Astréa 42 on display is an owner's version, with the separate heads configuration in the port hull (1 head with full separate shower, 1 head without the separate shower). Unfortunately, I forgot to inquire about which hull # it was. Hopefully other visitors to the show in this forum will ask.
The boat was equipped with the electric rear platform, so there were no davits.

I met with FP's VP of Sales to discuss the shared shower stall and davits, among other things. He was extremely cordial, attentive, and welcoming of customer feedback. He is aware of the issue with the shower stall, but explained that it has only been raised by a couple of clients, and that it is not perceived as a serious enough issue to warrant any modification, especially since the vast majority of reservation holders does not seem to have any concern. He also said that if someone wanted to modify it, it could likely be done aftermarket fairly easily.
I was told that the davits will operate in a very similar manner to those on the Lucia 40, but rather than straight posts mounted at an 45 deg. angle, they will feature an inverted elbow or L shape.

No surprises regarding the overall design, which we are all very familiar with by now. I was quite pleased with the quality of construction and finish of the model on display. As someone noted on this forum, it was delivered only a few days ago and smells of fresh resin and construction materials, particularly inside the port bow forepeak which was equipped as a crew sleeping berth, and is separate from the port bow stateroom.
There was no cabinet on top of the oven.

It seems one can only upload 6 photos. I will try to put all the photos and videos I shot on a website and will provide the link.

Christophe
Old 05-10-2018, 19:18   #235

For those concerned with the port head separating wall Please note. The divider wall between the port aft shower stall and port forward wet head had about an inch gap on the floor between the two heads. (In case no one looked down).
Spear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 19:24   #236

Here are pictures of it:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	qHeGzx51Q4aEd7qm7j+FpQ.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	178551   Click image for larger version

Name:	QjJFzFyFTamoDtDCT5D6hg.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	178552  

Old 05-10-2018, 20:05   #237

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Elba 45

The Astrea 42 on display there is hull #3.

Spoke to one of the many sales reps there and was told that the reason for the opening in the floor in the port shower is due to the fact that the wet head forward actually drains into the aft shower space. Given that there is going to be an opening between the two port heads regardless, I'm probably going to opt for the Jack and Jill shower anyway. If you have to have an opening you might as well get a shower for both heads.

The oven options that are available: One large gas oven with space above. A smaller gas oven with cabinet or microwave above. A microwave / convection oven (all electric). Basically I was told I could get any combination. So if you really want the cabinet above just get the smaller gas oven and leave the cabinet above empty.

I didn't notice any hose available in the forward chain locker for washing down the chain/anchor when being retrieved. I'm hoping that I just missed it or it is just something that they didn't get to install in time for the boat show. There is a fresh water hand spray nozzle starboard aft.

Was surprised that there are only handrails on the aft part of the coach roof. Starboard side is only aft of the helm with the same distance on port.

The owner of hull #3 didn't opt for the Barbecue Grill/Plancha so there is transom seating all the way across.

Evidently there is a new table option. It was installed on the Lucia 40 at the show but is available on the 42. It's a small cocktail table that can raise up and fold out to be a full table. It can also lower and have a mattress to turn it into a berth.
Off the Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 20:14   #238

Here's a link to the photos & videos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/110438...57674176727088
Old 05-10-2018, 20:48   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the Hook View Post
The Astrea 42 on display there is hull #3.

Spoke to one of the many sales reps there and was told that the reason for the opening in the floor in the port shower is due to the fact that the wet head forward actually drains into the aft shower space. Given that there is going to be an opening between the two port heads regardless, I'm probably going to opt for the Jack and Jill shower anyway. If you have to have an opening you might as well get a shower for both heads.

The oven options that are available: One large gas oven with space above. A smaller gas oven with cabinet or microwave above. A microwave / convection oven (all electric). Basically I was told I could get any combination. So if you really want the cabinet above just get the smaller gas oven and leave the cabinet above empty.

I didn't notice any hose available in the forward chain locker for washing down the chain/anchor when being retrieved. I'm hoping that I just missed it or it is just something that they didn't get to install in time for the boat show. There is a fresh water hand spray nozzle starboard aft.

Was surprised that there are only handrails on the aft part of the coach roof. Starboard side is only aft of the helm with the same distance on port.

The owner of hull #3 didn't opt for the Barbecue Grill/Plancha so there is transom seating all the way across.

Evidently there is a new table option. It was installed on the Lucia 40 at the show but is available on the 42. It's a small cocktail table that can raise up and fold out to be a full table. It can also lower and have a mattress to turn it into a berth.
I think this might be a hose hookup in the chain locker:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chain locker.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	178555  
Old 06-10-2018, 02:37   #240

wkstar is offline   Reply With Quote