Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 12:54   #31

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Send a message via Skype™ to jefffay
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Fair enough. I'll do more research on the Volvo folding props. From our point of view though, I was thinking that I'm not fussed about non folding props, one less thing to maintain / worry about failing, plus, I don't think that charter customers would appreciate the benefits.... I'll get a pair of new high end folding props when I take it out of charter. What do you think of that plan?

We are going to get the bowsprite factory installed but I'm suspecting that we might remove it for charter. Which begs the question, where to store it... Odds are it will just stay installed.

jefffay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:23   #32
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Looks like a great spec. ACY do a nice job I think. In Feb we chartered a Lucia 40 they finished. Love that new shower arrangement - we did the same - central showers which can open to forward to aft head (Jack and Jill style) for shower use making each head a large space when you need it. Can't wait to see it.

You are absolutely right on costs/options at factory versus US ACY options on elements such as:
1) solar panels (FP panels are underpowered at 100w each and expensive V's US options)
2) Bose Upgrade (you pay about 3x what the equipment costs here in US, some of which is installation)
3) Wifi Amp - my personal favorite on cost - you can buy what FP install as a complete kit (same model, very simply with mounting bracket and Cat 6 wire complete) for $475 in US but FP charge Eur 1,800. Its a quick fit so that shocked me.

HOWEVER, we are really keen to have only ONE home for any warranty issues as we were concerned it can get really messy otherwise. Those doing maintenance can be left negotiating warranty issues between two parties (manufacturer and dealer) and could cause charter issues in the potentially delayed process. We are clear we want ONE port of call on warranty items. This was particularly important for us not being on mainland US. Its a big price to pay for that though I'm sure.

Some thoughts on other items:

1) Water maker. The high capacity unit (110v) versus the 12v 60L hr. Debated this one hard as the extra cost is $2500 for the high capacity unit! What convinced me to go with the high capacity is the 12v option for FP also only produces 60L/hr (15gals). A family with 5 or 6 people on board will easily use +25gals a day therefore wouldn't cover water needs while charging batteries (1 hr'ish a day??) and draw quite a bit of power. Given you'll have more options with ACY, there are dual systems (12v and 110v) which might work nicely. Tough one!

2)110v Distribution panel. As I've mentioned elsewhere, this was fitted in the Lucia in forward port cabin. I assume this was ACY work (accessibility) - I may be wrong. I really hated that location as had to go into cabin to depower AC gradually at night so not stress generator as shutting down all units at once. The risk here is that charterers just shut off Genset hot and not worry about that.

3) Anchor: The standard FP anchor spec is undersized V's what Racna recommend for that size boat! We have asked pricing to upgrade. Who wouldn't want the right (heavy!) anchor? Good move.

Lots of decisions....

Old 25-04-2018, 13:29   #33
BKC

I think its a tough one on Bowsprit. You either factory install (and leave it there) or not. I'd be stunned if it were removable. You could store that sail in an owners storage (e.g. starboard forepeak) with a strict 'Do NOT use'.

We plan to trade this boat in c. 3yrs so will have another decision point then. If I was holding it, I would install the Bowsprit now and remove/not purchase the sail initially? or bring your Code 0 with you :-)
Old 25-04-2018, 13:40   #34
BKC

Folding Props: I agree with your concern on maintenance and issues but having sailed with fixed props I really felt that drag on boat speed - under conditions where I would have expected 7+ kn the boat was sub 6kn. As you say, nice thing is you can swap out at any point, unlike the Bowsprit.
Old 25-04-2018, 14:48   #35

Boat: Corsair Marine 36 trimaran SOLD Looking for our (final) Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffay View Post
Fair enough. I'll do more research on the Volvo folding props. From our point of view though, I was thinking that I'm not fussed about non folding props, one less thing to maintain / worry about failing, plus, I don't think that charter customers would appreciate the benefits.... I'll get a pair of new high end folding props when I take it out of charter. What do you think of that plan?

We are going to get the bowsprite factory installed but I'm suspecting that we might remove it for charter. Which begs the question, where to store it... Odds are it will just stay installed.
Ah yes, i forgot your boat is going into charter. IF you plan to keep the boat after chartering get the props later but get the factory sprit and deck gear now, but do not equip the boat with a code 0 or spinnaker while in charter. My $.02
Old 25-04-2018, 17:10   #36

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

From someone who does this for a living since we are talking about charter and equipment.

In no particular order.

The bow sprit. If you wnat it get it from the factory. It can stay on the boat while in charter. Don't put the sail on for charter. Several of our owners have the sails and keep them in their owners lockers for their use.

Water maker. We have over a dozen Aquabase DC units in the fleet including on Helia's and Saba's they are more than capable of keeping up. They work better when they are run. The DC versus the AC is much more versatile, it can be run from the alternators, the charger output or solar if you have enough.

Folding props buy them now. They hold up better and fall off less frequently than fixed props. The fixed props are easily damaged. The hubs fail and you will be replacing them on a routine basis. The boat will preform better both sailing and motoring.

Electrical Panels. Leave them alone. They are fine in the engine room. We teach the charter guests to shut down the air conditioning at the thermostats to shed the load before shutting down the genset. The rest of the panel can be left alone.

Solar get as much as you can you can and yes aftermarket options are better than the factory.

The dry heads with separte showers looks like a nice option.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 19:12   #37
BKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
Electrical Panels. Leave them alone. They are fine in the engine room. We teach the charter guests to shut down the air conditioning at the thermostats to shed the load before shutting down the genset. The rest of the panel can be left alone.

Jay
Thanks for the great advice Jay. Glad to hear on props.

The point on the Electrical panel on the Lucia 40 is that it was NOT in the engine compartment. It was in a forward cabin. When you sail with teenagers, they go to bed and don't adjust their thermostats which are also in their cabins. So you can't adjust thermostat to shed load or shut off at panel without going in to cabin with a light (and effectively waking them) - aka poking a bear! That's the issue. Adults would be ok!
Old 25-04-2018, 20:47   #38
BKC

I agree
Old 25-04-2018, 21:11   #39
BKC

https://www.cruisingworld.com/desali...ns-watermakers

Having thought again about 110v V's 12v watermakers based on CaptainJays excellent comments, article above, charterers + live aboards (and our own experience for our needs), I'd still prefer to be able to fill the tanks quickly while motoring in and out. Or with Genset running anyway pre dinner for charging batteries (hairdryer, more shower hot water ladies!?), electronics etc rather than managing limited power, with solar variation, which is already a challenge when truly sailing (fridge(s), freezers, autopilot, nav, phones, radio, lighting, etc, etc are hungry beasts). As a charterer, I'd prefer to get the noisey & power hungry stuff all over in a short burst on genset or engine alternator in the same period you are overseeing power needs and usage anyway. Everyone has different needs I guess which is the value of different perspectives here. Being clear on your own context really helps others. Keep 'em coming!
Old 26-04-2018, 04:33   #40

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

On almost all of the charter cats people run the genset ten hours a day on average. Sometimes much more. As part of the briefing process we teach them to run the watermaker for several hours a day. I typically tell them once you are anchored or moored to run the genset. Run some airconditioning the battery charger and the water maker daily. This typically happens from late afternoon thru dinner. In a lot of cases the genset is run overnight for air conditioning. Getting three or four hours of water maker time in on a charter boat daily is easy.

Post charter living aboard the consumption will go way down. A normal couple will need to run it a coupjle time a week for three or four hours at a time. The redudancy is critical for cruising. Be realsistic about your skillset and availability of parts. When your generator goes down in the middle of no where will you be able to repair it? Will you have the spares on board? Can you live without your watermaker while the generator is down? Losing one system sucks, losing two or more really sucks.

If I where running a large cat on crewed charters I would go with a big ac watermaker. For a couple cruising a high efficiency DC unit would be my choice. From our experience over the past three seasons with watermakers on board this same solution works well for bareboat. We do have three different watermakers in the fleet.

We started out putting large 220 volt units in the first few boats. Cuvee hull number 2 of the Saba has an incredible system by Blue Water Desal. It has a huge demetrius earth filter, plus large 24 inch pre filters. It cranks out water and runs and runs. That unit takes up the better part of a bow cabin to install. It works great, makes a ton of water and makes incredible noise. We actually had to put two inch sound down in the cabin that it is mounted in. Isolation mounts on the pump as well as a sounddown decoupling mat. All of these things add comlplexity and cost to the system.

We also have three of the Desalator duo units that where OEM on Beneteau and Lagoon. They are a nightmare. The belt drives of the twin motors are constantly misbehaving. The first one was installed by Beneteau and had huge issues with construction debri in the tanks clogging the membranes. They are also much less power efficient than the clark pump on the Aquabase unit.

The aquabase this has been the third bowl of porrige. Just right mix of capacity, power consumption, ease of use, simple to maintain. etc. We do modify them by adding a second prefilter at 20 micron to prolong filter life and keep production up. Otherwise a bone stock install and they just keep going. The repair issues have been minor and easily handled.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 05:37   #41

Hey Folks! Great to meet some fellow purchasers of the Astrea. We will be picking ours up in June 2019. We will be cruising ourselves, picking up from La Rochelle.
thelongsummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 06:33   #42
BKC

Congrats & delighted to hear! Perfect time of year there.
Looking forward to hearing more on specs and your plans.
Old 26-04-2018, 06:35   #43
BKC

Really helpful detail Jay. You've convinced me on 12v. Haha. Thank you.
Old 26-04-2018, 17:38   #44
BKC

Good news: I've found a video walk through of the Astrea at La Grande Motte.
Bad news: it's in Russian.

But you can see stuff not shown in pics so far including a look at the central shower between the en suite heads in port hull. Obviously, this an option for starboard also in 4 cabin version

https://youtu.be/8XynCJCVoLI
Old 26-04-2018, 21:42   #45

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Send a message via Skype™ to jefffay

Great input chaps. Thanks for the link to the cruising world water maker article. I think I'm leaning toward the 12v system, if I can get a killer solar setup (my worry here is space for the panels..)

One concern that I have about the folding props that I have is my concern for getting the best one for the money. What do you all think of this prop test article?

Folding and feathering propeller test

jefffay is offline   Reply With Quote