Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2019, 20:38   #391

Boat: FP Astrea 42
Send a message via Skype™ to jefffay
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

Thanks GRcatlover, Looks like my 32" computer monitor will fit in there nicely recessed with a low profile articulating mount.
jefffay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 20:53   #392

I'm looking for another measurement, I'm trying to figure out if 2 x solar panels will fit between aft of the mainsheet traveller and forward of the aft lip of the cockpit cover. The panels are 81.6" X 42.2"

I think it will be close and will overhang on the aft outboard corners.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 15-03-2019, 07:52   #393

Boat: FP Astrea 42 coming soon!

Hi again jefffay. Based on your panel size there will be a small amount of overhang on the outboard corners. If you go to page 21 of the forum there is an exchange about this exact topic that should help with your questions.
GRcatlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:15   #394
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42

Hi VP

I've probably got a few more pics if you need them, but have attached one here.
You'll notice it's not 100% raised on the starboard side (were just draining dinghy). What I really like about where the dinghy sits on the Astrea is, with rear cockpit seating/cushions, it's high out of the water, but effectively not sitting in view.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190223_094242.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	188055  
BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 08:25   #395
BKC

On TV recess guys, we have Samsung 32" smart TV in the recess and fits perfectly flush. Very adequate size from my POV. Linked up my laptop remotely and was comfortable surfing YouTube from sofa.
Old 16-03-2019, 19:40   #396

GRcatlover, thanks for the additional info on the solar panel size, I had seen the earlier post but was trying to get absolute confirmation that the panels that I had would fit, since they were a little bigger than the ones discussed in the post. If anyone has interest, the panels that I am looking at are 128 cell, 430w monocrystaline units. Deals – Santan Solar It's the first one in the listing, data sheet attached. I'm thinking of pairing them with two Victron MPPT controllers (for redundancy), also datasheet attached.

The panels are available for $200 each +freight. The solar controllers are kind of spendy but bear in mind the panel higher voltage output requires something like this.

Seems like a good deal for close to 900w of solar whilst utilizing the space fully.

Would anyone care to weigh in in my thinking?
Old 16-03-2019, 23:10   #397
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Astrea # 2 Available

Hi Every-one,
Sadly due to our Melbourne [AUS]property market and the recent Banking Inquiry, my town house development has been delayed. Subsequently I have decided to offer for sale my Maestro . Whilst trying to remove the emotion from my decision [ no-one in my family are talking to me ] being a new boat with warranties it may be hopefully easier to price, evaluate the extras, and the immediate delivery , currency [ go $USD v$AUD & Euro] etc.

If there is any interest out there in the Forum, I am happy to send the Spec List and allow a prospective purchaser to value, tailor the boat to their needs & preferred settlement .Alternatively have your broker contact me and I will pass on the details to my great broker hopefully before it goes out on the web. I would like to say this is not a fire sale, the boat is free from encumbrance and I appreciate I will need to give appropriate discounts. Just that I am older than most and simplifying my life, which may suit one of our serious readers contemplating an Astrea.

Please don't worry, the Astrea is magnificent and I assure every-one I will be back in the queue to get another one when our property market shows more certainty.
Contact is Alan Millis <alanmillis@hotmail.com> +61418-456082
Thanks Brian and all for providing so many stimulating discussions over the last 12 months and more!so back to chartering in the short term! Many thanks
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 05:40   #398
BKC

Hi Alan

I'm so sorry to hear you are selling her. Am sure someone will jump at the chance of getting a practically new boat quickly.

Skipping a 2 year waitlist, price rises during that time and the inevitable small teething issues with newly commissioned boat, I'd expect you should get pretty close to, if not full price for her.

Again, sorry to hear and fingers crossed that the market will sort itself out in Aus. Shout if you ever want a trip to Bahamas on an Astrea - I'll happily pass on owners discounts to you and any reader here.

Regards & keep us posted,

Brian
Old 17-03-2019, 13:40   #399

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi VP

I've probably got a few more pics if you need them, but have attached one here.
You'll notice it's not 100% raised on the starboard side (were just draining dinghy). What I really like about where the dinghy sits on the Astrea is, with rear cockpit seating/cushions, it's high out of the water, but effectively not sitting in view.
Perfect! Just what I wanted to see. I think we’ll go with the 20hp Tohmatsu for a bit more grunt. Thank you!
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 16:49   #400
BKC

You might need slightly beefier lines than FP supplies for that extra weight. I'll be surprised if ours aren't a little chaffed already. As live aboards you'll prob raise & lower the dinghy a lot less often than charterers, moving location daily.
To my surprise (negatively), FP supply a 2-stroke 5HP as the engine on the dinghy package. I know the argument about 2 stroke providing more power for a lot less weight, but I'd never knowingly buy one - they sound cheap! (Poor logic for an engine, I know). In practice however, it does the job.
When it gets in anyway unreliable, I'll swap out for a Yamaha 4 stroke. I've owned three of them over last few years and can't say enough positive things about them. Almost silent, easy to service and start like lightening with a clean spark plug. I sail an overpowered (sail) Hunter in squirrelly winds & need to rely on it to start first pull when Lee shore is feet away.
Old 17-03-2019, 17:30   #401

Thanks Brian. Didn't think of that but an excellent idea. We are going with the electric winch set up too. I read a really interesting FB post recently about getting the biggest motor that your tender will handle which made a lot of sense.
VP and the Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 18:18   #402
BKC

The electric winch works very well. I was super concerned about the winch set up as I wasn't impressed with the Lucia davit set up. But the Astrea set up is quite functional.

I've found a dinghy accessory supplier (in Vladivostok, Russia, conveniently enough) that is incredible value for the same products as sold thru major US retailers - all from China. For example, a dinghy ladder at West Marine was $129. Same ladder is c.$40. Not similar- the same! It looks promising as my shipment has finally emerged having been last seen in Moscow Mar 1st - to finally appear on tracking in NY yesterday. I just need to confirm once my order (tiller extension, ladder, under seat storage) arrives this week & will recommend.
Old 18-03-2019, 12:20   #403
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Sail & Motor Yacht Catamarans, NEEL Trimarans, ILIAD Catamarans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAE View Post
Astrea # 2 Available

Hi Every-one,
Sadly due to our Melbourne [AUS]property market and the recent Banking Inquiry, my town house development has been delayed. Subsequently I have decided to offer for sale my Maestro . Whilst trying to remove the emotion from my decision [ no-one in my family are talking to me ] being a new boat with warranties it may be hopefully easier to price, evaluate the extras, and the immediate delivery , currency [ go $USD v$AUD & Euro] etc.

If there is any interest out there in the Forum, I am happy to send the Spec List and allow a prospective purchaser to value, tailor the boat to their needs & preferred settlement .Alternatively have your broker contact me and I will pass on the details to my great broker hopefully before it goes out on the web. I would like to say this is not a fire sale, the boat is free from encumbrance and I appreciate I will need to give appropriate discounts. Just that I am older than most and simplifying my life, which may suit one of our serious readers contemplating an Astrea.

Please don't worry, the Astrea is magnificent and I assure every-one I will be back in the queue to get another one when our property market shows more certainty.
Contact is Alan Millis <alanmillis@hotmail.com> +61418-456082
Thanks Brian and all for providing so many stimulating discussions over the last 12 months and more!so back to chartering in the short term! Many thanks

Hi Alan,
Louise and I were saddened when we became aware of your decision to sell your beautiful boat. We look forward to catching up with you soon and hope all goes well with the sale. Cheers Gordon.
Old 18-03-2019, 21:22   #404

Brian,

I'm interested to learn more about your supplier in Vladivostok. Do they have a website?

Jeff
Old 19-03-2019, 08:06   #405
BKC

Hi Jeff

Good timing. My dinghy accessory package finally arrived this a.m. (approx 3 weeks after ordering). Its exactly what I ordered and good quality. I went with a trackable shipment, paid with PayPal and admit I was nervous as I got a security flag saying the site was based in a country prone to fraud. Gulp.

If you are not in a hurry, despite the catchy name (!), I can thoroughly recommend them : https://f25.com