Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2019, 19:59   #331
BKC

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea 42
Re: Astrea 42: Owners?

The Baguette boat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181206-191245_Chrome.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	184144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20181206-191407_Chrome.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	184145  

BKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 15:47   #332
BKC

Hello all:

Two questions:

1. Has anybody upgraded their anchor? Astrea comes with the smaller Rocna (22?). I'm looking to order a Rocna 33 (33kg, 76lbs) and assuming it will fit?

2. Anyone got a measurement on the two locations on rear where boat name/hailing port could go? Rear of helmstation seat and second step up on either sugar scoop. Was hoping to get some decals done.

Thanks all - I'll post some baby pics from the Abacos in a moment.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Astrea 42 Asgard Abaco Bahamas Jan 2019.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	184411   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (3).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	260.3 KB
ID:	184412  

Name:	image (6).jpg
Views:	171
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	184413   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (8).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	184414  

Name:	image (5).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	184415   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (7).jpg
Views:	186
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	184416  

Old 24-01-2019, 16:14   #333

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Astrea

Brian,
Not sure if this helps you but we are going with a 30kg Mantus with 100 meters G70 chain (massive weight savings), BUT you have to swap out the windlass gyspy to accomodate.
MoggieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 16:30   #334
BKC

Many thanks MM! The Mantus 30kgs is a similar size anchor so I'll probably just go ahead - it can hitch a ride on a new cat heading over from the same Fort Lauderdale marina if I push the button now. I believe folks are using the Rocna 33kg on the Helia 44 so Astrea is almost as big. You guys can laugh at me if I'm wrong! Our water depths in Abaco are super shallow so not concerned about swapping for longer lighter chain for now so windlass gypsy should be good.
Old 24-01-2019, 17:21   #335

Boat: FP Lucia 40

We also have ordered a 33kg Rocna for our Astrea #26. We were happy with the 25kg Rocna on our Lucia 40.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2019, 18:05   #336
MAE

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astrea 42

Great pics Brian,
Standard kit is the 20 kg I believe, which is now my spare. I went with the Mantus 25kg on the proviso I could upgrade if needed. So far it's exceeded all expectations in some hairy overnights, stets and resets very quickly. I also bought the Mantus bridle but still using the FP set up .
You will notice the FP snubber clip is clumbsy to use, as in charter you will have different people anchoring differently with the load sharing on the bridle, and I went for a stronger Mantus slider.
Sorry don't have those signage measurements, in Aus displaying reg numbers vary from state to state cheers mate getting close now Alan
MAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 01:23   #337

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Interesting. Me too have ordered the Rocna 33. Erwan from FP assured me that it fits.
About the chain, I am thinking of keeping the 10mm, altough I will go for G7 or G6.
No info about the dimensions you asked.
Pictures look nice, Brian.
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 20:12   #338
BKC

Thanks Luc. Much appreciated. Rocna ordered. It'll be ready for its hitchhiking ride across the Gulf Stream. Hard to pack a 33kg/76lb chunk of metal in your airline bags,
so I'm very grateful.

I'll try to be patient on getting decals if I don't have the measurements for those panels. Counting down the days to getting on board - exactly 3 weeks tomorrow. Finally! Long wait ends. So feel free to ask away, if anybody wants anything, including video of the most mundane details.

Will be nice to get away from winter here to sunny Abaco. We are at our home in NH for the wkend - had -21C last weekend. South pole was warmer, tied with North pole. Meanwhile I know from video conference sessions with Brazil & Australia this week, you guys have HOT weather in the sth hemisphere. Hard to imagine right now!
Old 09-02-2019, 12:27   #339

Hi everyone!
Been silently stalking this forum for maybe 2 years now reading and daydreaming about all the beautiful cats you're talking about.
Now it seems like it's our turn to get our dream if everything goes to plan...

We're making the final decisions on our (hopefully) Astrea 42 now and need some advice from you guys.

The boat is planned to have a genset however I am not sure we want it. We aren't gonna have the AC (at least not now) and I would rather spend some of the genset money on solar and batteries. We are not opting for the factory solar either, we think we can get a lot more power with a setup of our own (inspired by some threads here).

However we do want the washer/dryer, extra freezer and perhaps even the dishwasher (not sure on that one).

Thanks in advance for all the other tips you've provided in this thread and others CF-folks!

//Oscar
byhlinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 13:24   #340
BKC

Hi Oscar

Great to hear and best of luck on the plan.

Would be good to know where she'll be based, charter or 100% private, marina shore mostly (?)and what size battery bank you have in mind. I agree 100% on non-factory solar - you can easily get a more powerfully set up and bang for your buck.

In the absence of a/c, the fridges/freezers might be your biggest issue. We typically don't run a/c overnight and genset is turned off but by a.m., recharge is def starting to be due on any cat we've chartered. You will no doubt have to run engines when you dont need them for anything other than alternator output (could upgrade these also I guess to speed up charging).

We'll be on board next week so can give you a better idea of how long we get away without charging with genset, albeit with factory solar only.

Hope the plan comes off!
Old 09-02-2019, 13:54   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKC View Post
Hi Oscar
Would be good to know where she'll be based, charter or 100% private, marina shore mostly (?)and what size battery bank you have in mind. I agree 100% on non-factory solar - you can easily get a more powerfully set up and bang for your buck.
We'll be liveaboards and it'll be based in Sweden for the first year then we'll sail her down to the med and decide from there, most likely join the ARC in 2020/2021.
But for the first year we will mostly have shore power while getting her ready. After that we will try to stay out of marinas as much as possible.

The goal is to get about 1500-2000W of solar and a lithium battery bank, maybe 1000ah, looking at different options there and trying to make sense of all the information available at this forum. That should be achievable for about the same cost as the genset. Not sure if it would be enough power to sustain us though.
For the watermaker we're thinking of either a 12V or a 12/230V, lot's of different opinions on that one also...

Would be interesting to now if most of the Astrea owners on here has opted for the genset?
Old 09-02-2019, 21:22   #342

Boat: FP Lucia 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhlinder View Post
We'll be liveaboards and it'll be based in Sweden for the first year then we'll sail her down to the med and decide from there, most likely join the ARC in 2020/2021.
But for the first year we will mostly have shore power while getting her ready. After that we will try to stay out of marinas as much as possible.

The goal is to get about 1500-2000W of solar and a lithium battery bank, maybe 1000ah, looking at different options there and trying to make sense of all the information available at this forum. That should be achievable for about the same cost as the genset. Not sure if it would be enough power to sustain us though.
For the watermaker we're thinking of either a 12V or a 12/230V, lot's of different opinions on that one also...

Would be interesting to now if most of the Astrea owners on here has opted for the genset?
Hi Oscar, welcome to the site.
We (#26) have opted for ex factory genset (Fischer Panda 5kw) + 800 w solar, washing machine, Ex factory A/c saloon only. Based on our Australian experience with a Lucia 40. We will be sailing in the med 2019, mostly 2 aboard but occasional visitors.
Good luck with your decision making.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:36   #343

Quote:
Hi everyone!
Been silently stalking this forum for maybe 2 years now reading and daydreaming about all the beautiful cats you're talking about.
Now it seems like it's our turn to get our dream if everything goes to plan...

We're making the final decisions on our (hopefully) Astrea 42 now and need some advice from you guys.

The boat is planned to have a genset however I am not sure we want it. We aren't gonna have the AC (at least not now) and I would rather spend some of the genset money on solar and batteries. We are not opting for the factory solar either, we think we can get a lot more power with a setup of our own (inspired by some threads here).

However we do want the washer/dryer, extra freezer and perhaps even the dishwasher (not sure on that one).

Thanks in advance for all the other tips you've provided in this thread and others CF-folks!

//Oscar
Hi Oscar,
Maybe our solution is a bit over the top, but we came to some conclusions for this, and I just wrote an update on General Info Customizing our FP Astréa 42 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
We will also have the dishwasher, washer/dryer, extra freezer, and on top of that we will immediately replace all gas in the galley: induction cooktop and combi microwave / oven.
We also choose to install a reversible airco (cooling and heating).
And still I didn't like the idea of a generator neither ... That's why we go for the Integrel@ of Triskel (UK) on one of the Volvo's.
Hope it can inspire you.
Luc
Old 11-02-2019, 00:40   #344

Does anyone have a picture on where the dishwasher option is installed? We're most likely not going with factory but would be interesting to see how they fit it.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:59   #345

Quote:
Does anyone have a picture on where the dishwasher option is installed? We're most likely not going with factory but would be interesting to see how they fit it.
No picture, but they told me: under the sink.