Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 19:30   #16

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Anyone electrified a jib winch?

Another point..

There are very heavy loads on winch and the naval architect will have allowed for that in the initial design. You may want to get an engineer/architect to look at the locations you are planning to ensure there is ample structural integrity.

I am not trying to pee on your parade in any way. But its of the highest importance that your coamings dont collapse. :-D
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:30   #17

I don't have personal experience with this item, but it looks handy. Winchrite Winchrite Electric Sailboat Winch Handle | Cruise RO Water & Power
SeaGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 08:44   #18

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

I have Lewmar 42's on my mast and use a Milwaukee 18 volt right hand angle electric drill to raise the main. I have three back up batteries and have used the same drill for ten years replacing the batteries twice in the same time. The drill in reverse kicks in my low speed on the winch giving me the opportunity to run the first half of the sail fast and the last half slow. I do my final tensioning manually to the mark on my halyard, Additionally I use it on my main and jib winch, moving it from one to the other. I hear the 24 volt is even stronger and uses lithium ion batteries shortening charging time. I've just never needed to charge faster and the 18 volt is strong enough without worry of tearing out my headboard. It's perfect for quick adjustments at the click of the trigger. I like that I also have a very strong drill onboard as well. If you go this route I suggest you get additional hex head screws that hold the chuck in. They are a break away protecting the motor and bearings. I've snapped them twice in 10 years straining the drill beyond it's torque limits. The bit is available on ebay from a couple the make them and cruise their Deerfoot from the proceeds.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:16   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by duefocena View Post
I have Lewmar 42's on my mast and use a Milwaukee 18 volt right hand angle electric drill to raise the main. I have three back up batteries and have used the same drill for ten years replacing the batteries twice in the same time. The drill in reverse kicks in my low speed on the winch giving me the opportunity to run the first half of the sail fast and the last half slow. I do my final tensioning manually to the mark on my halyard, Additionally I use it on my main and jib winch, moving it from one to the other. I hear the 24 volt is even stronger and uses lithium ion batteries shortening charging time. I've just never needed to charge faster and the 18 volt is strong enough without worry of tearing out my headboard. It's perfect for quick adjustments at the click of the trigger. I like that I also have a very strong drill onboard as well. If you go this route I suggest you get additional hex head screws that hold the chuck in. They are a break away protecting the motor and bearings. I've snapped them twice in 10 years straining the drill beyond it's torque limits. The bit is available on ebay from a couple the make them and cruise their Deerfoot from the proceeds.
My experience with the Milwaukee 28v is the same as above, except I've had mine ~5 years with 1 battery and broken only 1 hex head screw. I bought 3 and have 2 spares at this point, they are only ~$1 each.

The bit can be had at:

http://www.thecranker.com
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Another point..

There are very heavy loads on winch and the naval architect will have allowed for that in the initial design. You may want to get an engineer/architect to look at the locations you are planning to ensure there is ample structural integrity.

I am not trying to pee on your parade in any way. But its of the highest importance that your coamings dont collapse. :-D
Thanks, Ozskipper. We are aware of the issue as are the boat yard rigging guys. We are shifting the load only about a foot over. Have found many examples of adding one or even two winches on Belizes, Liparis, and Helias. For example: http://novosti.ultra-sailing.hr/wp-c...ipari_41_3.jpg

I think they are also planning a consult from a local sails rigging expert.
Eve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 10:36   #21

Forgot to mention that we are likely upsizing the winch as we are now leaning toward getting an Andersen above deck which will eliminate a lot of installation work and possibly be easier on the boat as there will be no need to cut a big hole for the motir to hang down. We are replacing a 48, but Andersen doesn't make a 48 or a 50, so we will get a 52. This should help with the load issue, right?
Eve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 11:48   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve Carlson View Post
Forgot to mention that we are likely upsizing the winch as we are now leaning toward getting an Andersen above deck which will eliminate a lot of installation work and possibly be easier on the boat as there will be no need to cut a big hole for the motir to hang down. We are replacing a 48, but Andersen doesn't make a 48 or a 50, so we will get a 52. This should help with the load issue, right?
The larger winch probably has a higher working load, but it may not. I couldn't find quotes for swl from Anderson so you may want to double check with them just to be sure.

The one issue with the motor mounted on deck that I can see is that the winch will be much higher off the deck than normal, this could effect lead angle, and may reduce SWL since the extra height converts to extra torqu loading on the backing plate. I assume it is controllable but I would double check with Anderson to make sure.

Just a FYI with the 44m^2 jib in 20kn your sheet load will be in the range of 400kg. But increase wind speed to 25kn and the loads go up to 600kg. I am not sure what sail size you are using, but this is the specced size from the brochure.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 13:55   #23

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Just looked at the Anderson 52 with compact motor below deck. Looks like a very workable solution mounting it in the same location as the current outside winch. The motor extends 174mm (<7") inside. I think that would be very doable on a Belize.

Just my opinion, without other considerations....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2015, 15:43   #24

I believe that there is a custom built product called a WinchRite. You could try googling it. Maybe one of the forum readers has had experience with it.
rods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 05:19   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
For a quick and easy way to 'electrify' winches, a good friend of mine bought a powerful electric cordless drill with a 90-degree fitting for a winch on it. It can be used with any winch on board, but does of course require someone to hold it and take it in and out of the winch handle socket. I'd also be skeptical about using it in heavy seas if it's likely to get covered in salt water. He uses it mainly for halyards and i have to say it makes life very easy indeed!
Drifting slightly off topic: I use the smallest electric anchor windlass I could find for my main halyard. I mounted it horizontally on a fabricated SS L bracket. The halyard runs aft to under the dodger where the winch is situated. The winch needed a standard modification to the oil seal to be horizontally mounted. It is a Neilson winch. With a foot switch I can tail the halyard with my head out off the dodger. Easy to retighten the halyard and leach reefing lines with two rope reefing lead back. Can pull a reef in in a couple of minutes....usually!

It is necessary to have the correct alignment with the rope clutches and use only a couple of turns to avoid riding turns on the winch.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:24   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
We just bought a Belize and are thinking of upgrading the starboard winch. The boat yard yards are nervous without seeing photos of an example of a similar boat that has done this work. Any photos would be really helpful!
Before you motorize just one winch, consider one of these. You can use it anywhere including sending crew up the mast. BTW, Winchwrite has some bad reputation regarding breakage - search this.

1/2 inch 28 volt Milwaukee right angle drill with 2:1 reduction and a winch bit. We operate our 135 genoa especially roller furling with this. We must partly furl to tack. I can do it one-handed from the wheel. It will run over a week on one charge depending on use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muscle on deck.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	107902  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 17:38   #27

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

As an alternative to electric winches, the new manual winches on the block are four speed.

Significantly cheaper than an electric winch but with all the advantages of an electric winch and the reliability of a manual winch.

Grinder Winch for Faster Tacking—or Hoisting or Furling | Pontos Americas
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:12   #28

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Eve Carlson, you asked for photos: Here are a couple taken of installs over the last couple years:

Here's a group of pics showing a Lewmar winch install. followed by a Harken:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	phone pictures 319.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	408.2 KB
ID:	107909   Click image for larger version

Name:	phone pictures 334.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	107910  

Name:	DSCN0244.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	107911   Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 100.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	415.8 KB
ID:	107912  

Name:	pictures 106.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	107913   Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 117.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	107914  

Name:	pictures 118.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	107915   Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 129.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	107916  

Attached Images

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 19:14   #29

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

OOps, sorry, they got all twisted and mixed about. Send me a PM if you need more details
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2015, 20:10   #30

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Significantly cheaper than an electric winch but with all the advantages of an electric winch and the reliability of a manual winch.
With respect, this isn't really true, unless one of those four speeds is someone else winding the handle!

For the short handed cruiser, one of the main advantages of an electric self tailing winch is hands-off winching... leaves both of the operator's hands free for doing other chores, like easing the old sheet or furling line, steering or just holding on for dear life.

The electric drill driver is in between the t wo in utility. We have found it to be quite useful, but heavy and somewhat awkward to handle, especially if there is a lot of boat motion going on. Still, on a boat that must furl the genoa to tack or gybe, it is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
jib, winch