Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2013, 14:19   #16

Boat: 2014 Helia 44
Re: Anchor and Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
We have a second bridle for use with mooring balls. It's shorter than the anchor bridle and when not in use we just bring it over the front of the cross beam and clip it to the net.
Do you have a description of how you set this up? I rather like this idea.
mndreamchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2013, 15:14   #17

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mndreamchaser1 View Post
Do you have a description of how you set this up? I rather like this idea.
It's just like the anchor bridle except shorter and we don't pull it back into the anchor locker. We made it shorter for places where the current runs counter to the wind. In those cases, we'll connect the bridle directly to the top of the mooring ball (not using the mooring ball painter) and the bridle is short enough to keep the mooring ball between the hulls.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 14:40   #18

I have 10mm chain and use a Mantus hook on the anchor bridle for my Helia. I thought about adding cleats to my crossbeam, but it just looked like it was putting load on the crossbeam in a direction it was not designed to take. I have a 2nd bridle for a mooring which is much shorter than the anchor bridle. Shorter to ensure the mooring float/ball does not hit the hulls. The mooring bridle is attached at the same points as the anchor bridle (Crossbeam / hull brackets) only I replaced the 8mm ring bolt (notice FP now appears to used a 12mm) for the attachment point with 12mm and SS shackle to fit the two bridles. The 2nd bridle is removed when no moorings are used. The mooring bridle is the actual anchor bridle supplied by the factory. Didn't think it was sufficient for a big blow. This 2nd bridle just has a snap shackle for attachment that is folded thru on itself. Got that idea from this forum (thanks DotDun) and works a treat!
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 15:17   #19

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
..... I thought about adding cleats to my crossbeam, but it just looked like it was putting load on the crossbeam in a direction it was not designed to take. ....
FWIW, my friend purchased a new Leopard 39, it came from the factory with cleats on the beam, but there is a sticker next to them stating not to use for mooring. Of course, this begs the question, what are they for?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:46   #20

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
...I have a 2nd bridle for a mooring which is much shorter than the anchor bridle. Shorter to ensure the mooring float/ball does not hit the hulls. The mooring bridle is attached at the same points as the anchor bridle (Crossbeam / hull brackets) only I replaced the 8mm ring bolt (notice FP now appears to used a 12mm) for the attachment point with 12mm and SS shackle to fit the two bridles. The 2nd bridle is removed when no moorings are used. The mooring bridle is the actual anchor bridle supplied by the factory. Didn't think it was sufficient for a big blow. This 2nd bridle just has a snap shackle for attachment that is folded thru on itself. Got that idea from this forum (thanks DotDun) and works a treat!
Great discussion on mooring set ups and very interesting to see so many different trains of thought. I've used the cleats on the crossbeam method before while on charter and thought it worked well, but I'm curious to see a bit more detail around the solution Nasa has implemented.

Do you have any pictures you can share of the attachment point of your bridle? I like the idea of being able to remove the bridle when not in use. Thanks!
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 16:06   #21

Unfortunately I am in a different state form the boat at the mo, so can't supply the requested photos. I have attached a photo to try and explain what we did. Our boat was Hull No. 7, so very early. In terms of the bridle, I changed the 8mm ring head bolt that was there to 12mm SS bolt. I think considerable changes have been made since mine at that bolt in now 12mm standard. I then inserted a SS shackle in the (photo) indicated gap. The 12mm Nyloc bolt thru the crossbeam mount will hold the cheeks of the bracket together negating the forward lateral pull of the shackle. To that shackle I attached a spliced hard eye for the anchor bridle which is 15mm silver nylon rope. The shackle also gives me enough room to tie in the mooring bridle (which was the original anchor bridle 12mm nylon). I tie large loops with yosemite bowlines (easy to undo after load) so that I can pull the bridle over the crossbeam and just untie when I want to remove. Everyone laughs at my oversize ground tackle (75m 10mm G43 chain with a 33kg Rocna) but we like to sleep at night (although I'm still up every hr). Earlier in the year in 40knt gusts boats around us were dragging whilst we were rock solid. Keeps my wife happy.

Bridle.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bridle.pdf (59.9 KB, 344 views)
Old 16-12-2013, 20:03   #22

Thanks for that pdf Nasa. That does help. I would still be interested to see actual pictures of what you've done when you get back to the boat if you can remember.

You also bring up another good point I'd be interested for others to chime in on. You've got a 33kg Rocna, but what do other Helia owners use for an anchor? There have been lots of discussions about different types of anchors on this forum, but I'm specifically interested in what brand/size of anchors are being used on Helias.
Old 17-12-2013, 03:11   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryHorizons View Post
Thanks for that pdf Nasa. That does help. I would still be interested to see actual pictures of what you've done when you get back to the boat if you can remember. You also bring up another good point I'd be interested for others to chime in on. You've got a 33kg Rocna, but what do other Helia owners use for an anchor? There have been lots of discussions about different types of anchors on this forum, but I'm specifically interested in what brand/size of anchors are being used on Helias.
Now there is a can of worms! The Rocna has been great for us. Many other similar designs, just as good. Just don't go with a CQR with the swivel head. IMO a shocker!
Old 17-12-2013, 08:10   #24

Yeah, I know this can be a touchy subject. Hopefully people can just share what they're using on their boat. My goal is to get a practical list of what anchors will fit on the roller under the trampoline.

Let's save the debates for one of the hundreds of other anchor threads on this site!
Old 17-12-2013, 08:20   #25

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

You are fortunate with the Helia 44 design that FP dropped the anchor roller down a bit so a large roll bar anchor will not hit the tramp or bow sprit. You can really go with a large anchor if you so choose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Helia 44 anchor roller.jpg
Views:	1024
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	72299  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2013, 17:45   #26

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Thanks for that pdf Nasa. That does help. I would still be interested to see actual pictures of what you've done when you get back to the boat if you can remember.

You also bring up another good point I'd be interested for others to chime in on. You've got a 33kg Rocna, but what do other Helia owners use for an anchor? There have been lots of discussions about different types of anchors on this forum, but I'm specifically interested in what brand/size of anchors are being used on Helias.
This is what a mooring bridle would look like from your bow cleats or if you added a secound bridle from the same connecting eyes.

Note: this mooring ball is nothing but a pole with a loop at the top to connect to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050125.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	415.1 KB
ID:	72323   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050127.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	72324  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:25   #27

Boat: Hélia 44 #92 (2015)

Quote:
I also went for a 33Kg Rocna and was very impressed by it so far. But I'm having problem with the ½" chain piling up below the windlass. Have to undo the pile every 4 or 5 meters of chain, and that makes the chain retrieval a slow, awkward and dangerous process. Any ideas on that? I was considering a change to 10mm chain, as this would save on weight and maybe lessen the piling issue.
CatBrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:28   #28

Boat: 2014 Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBrazil View Post
I also went for a 33Kg Rocna and was very impressed by it so far. But I'm having problem with the ½" chain piling up below the windlass. Have to undo the pile every 4 or 5 meters of chain, and that makes the chain retrieval a slow, awkward and dangerous process. Any ideas on that? I was considering a change to 10mm chain, as this would save on weight and maybe lessen the piling issue.
We have not solved this problem either. Chain tends to pile up under the windlass, and you have to "knock it down" a couple times. So I am also interested in any solutions.

Smaller chain may help, but then you need more scope due to less weight. We opted to keep the 1/2" chain (didn't want to change the gypsy).

We use a 45# delta and I have always been happy with a delta (although we most always anchor in sand).
mndreamchaser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 20:05   #29

We have experienced the same problem with 1/2" chain and are planning to swap to 5/16" HT chain. The weight savings will be significant (5/16" HT weighs about 1/3 of the 1/2") and we should have lots more space under the windlass as well.

In order to do this we'll have to swap out the gypsy but I think the benefits will be more than worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-06-2015, 08:43   #30

Just a quick follow up to my last post. Our Helia has a Quick "Dylan" windlass and I discovered that the 5/16" gypsy given to me by our dealer doesn't actually fit our model of windlass. And in fact, Quick does not make a 5/16" gypsy for their Dylan models. The smallest is 3/8".

So we are revising our plans and going with 3/8" (10mm) chain. This chain should weigh about half of the 1/2" chain and I'm hoping will still help the piling up issues under the windlass.

Tags
anchor, windlass