Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2018, 05:50   #76

Re: Anchor and Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalmon View Post
Hi Cotemar,
On my FP Mahe 36 Lost my anchor and chain in bad storm the other night. When trying to head into the wind postitioning to use the windless ti raise the anchor to get out into deeper water the chain jumped the gypsy and started to run out. We let it go and left.
Next day tried to look for it without luck.
Anyway - sorry for rambling. What do you recommend as a replacement? Rocna ? All chain? How long? Thank You so much!!!!
Paul
That really sucks you did not have the end of the chain fastened to a bulkhead?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:26   #77

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Hi Cotemar,
On my FP Mahe 36 Lost my anchor and chain in bad storm the other night. When trying to head into the wind postitioning to use the windless ti raise the anchor to get out into deeper water the chain jumped the gypsy and started to run out. We let it go and left.
Next day tried to look for it without luck.
Anyway - sorry for rambling. What do you recommend as a replacement? Rocna ? All chain? How long? Thank You so much!!!!
ANCHOR:
• 44 lb Rocna (20kg) 176’ 5/16, G4 chain & 200’ 8 plait 5/8 nylon rode, Crosby 209A 7/16" shackle.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:47   #78

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36

How long for the chain?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:56   #79

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
How long for the chain?
We use 176 feet of 5/16 HT G3 chain
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:56   #80

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

For those of you who have the Leroy Somer Windlass, do you know how to use the manual override? I cannot find anything on this windlass to allow me to loosen the drive.
As you can see from the picture there are holes on the wheel, and a handle included for manual use.
So far we haven't needed it but one time we came close. Either the power was low or our connection on our remote was not good but it got me thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leroy Somer Windlass.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	199659  
Fiddlerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 18:33   #81

Boat: Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerman View Post
For those of you who have the Leroy Somer Windlass, do you know how to use the manual override? I cannot find anything on this windlass to allow me to loosen the drive.
As you can see from the picture there are holes on the wheel, and a handle included for manual use.
So far we haven't needed it but one time we came close. Either the power was low or our connection on our remote was not good but it got me thinking.
I have this windlass and also couldn't find any mechanical way to make it run manually. The time I needed to use it manually, I just pulled the chain out of the gypsy and onto the drum. The instruction manual for this windlass is useless.

Scott
SVAscension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:06   #82

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I also have the Leroy Somer Windlass on our Mahe. As far as I can determine the handle and holes in the rope gypsy only adjusts the tension on the gypsy clutch. It is used to release the gypsy and let the anchor free fall. It appears there is no manual retrieval other than pulling the anchor up by hand.
I need to replace the original appromate 100 feet of chain that came with my 2007 Mahe. Does anyone know what size chain fits the original Leroy Somer Windlass ? Is it 7/16 G40, 10mm 30X15, 10mm 28X14 ??? Is the gypsy marked ?
All advise is greatly appreciated.

Ray
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:02   #83

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlerman View Post

We have the same Leroy Somer windlass on our boat. As far as I know the windlass does not support manual anchor up. The handle for the drum is only to loosen the tension of the gypsy that the anchor can freefall.

We struggled hard with the windlass this summer up in Norway and Sweden. When pulling anchor up the gypsy slipped and it was impossible to get the chain in. To get the 25 kg anchor and 10mm chain up from 10m depth by hand is quite a good workout.

I removed the drum and saw that the cones were worn. I got two used washerplates from a local mechanic and put them between drum and gypsy. The gypsy worked again. But the motor of the windlass now was the problem, getting really slow and we needed to pull by hand from time to time.

One of our projects this winter ist to update the windlass to Lofrans Cayman. Scince the Leroy Somer has 700 W and the Cayman has 1000W I think I will have to change the wires as well. Has anybody done such an upgrade?
SailingKiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mahe 36