Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 06:53   #16

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Re: Anchor and Windlass

I have attached a photo of my temporary fix.

I made up a short lead with a spade connector on one end and a ring connector (10mm I think) on the other.
I the cut the purple wire coming from the loom on the RHS and fitted M/F spade connectors to each end as appropriate.

I then connected the ring connector to the large central Positive terminal supplying power to the winch and the spade connector to the LHS section of the purple wire. This joins a brow wire which goes into a conduit to the winch.

The winch controls are now powered permanently!

When the problem is resolved you can reconnect the spades on the purple wire together. I will probably fit an A/B switch as a long term fall back option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1264.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	148992  
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:54   #17

Cotemar, I am off to buy a starter switch this afternoon, shorting with a screwdriver is not a good option although it does work!
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43   #18

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
I have attached a photo of my temporary fix.

I made up a short lead with a spade connector on one end and a ring connector (10mm I think) on the other.
I the cut the purple wire coming from the loom on the RHS and fitted M/F spade connectors to each end as appropriate.

I then connected the ring connector to the large central Positive terminal supplying power to the winch and the spade connector to the LHS section of the purple wire. This joins a brow wire which goes into a conduit to the winch.

The winch controls are now powered permanently!

When the problem is resolved you can reconnect the spades on the purple wire together. I will probably fit an A/B switch as a long term fall back option.
Martin,

Thank you for posting that Windlass bypass wiring picture. That will help a lot of cruisers out.

I added some text to your picture for my own clarification. Is it correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bypass.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	148995  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:05   #19

That is correct and does clarify it. My new cable could have been neater but i was focussed on getting it working.

I have to give a good rap to the guys at Viamar Ibiza. Contacted them this morning and a tech showed up at almost 6 this evening to fit a new MDI and we are all fixed. All this in the busy start to the season. Apparently warranty work is a priority.
Great to get service like this!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:31   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
That size Mantus Anchor was designed with a material density for Stainless Steel at 85 lbs, so when you make the same size anchor in galvanized steel it has a much different material density. This is why it is 10 lbs lighter.

Mantus Anchors knows about the issue and is working to resolve it or maybe just re-sticker the galvanized steel anchors to the correct weight 75 lbs weight.
I understand there can be differences in material density and weight.

But to label and market the product with a misleading weight (85 instead of the accurate 75) seems inexcusable to me, and seems more like a clear case of misleading the buyer to think they are purchasing an 85 pound anchor.

I don't think a reputable company or one wanting to establish a good reputation, would sell a product while so clearly misrepresenting its key characteristic (anchor weight), by such a large difference.

A new and accurate sticker can be made in a day, and is a cheap fix.

A misleading label or claim can cause doubts about the brand, and that can "stick" a long time and be costly.

--------
Or is there more to this story that the photo of the anchor on the scale is not showing?
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 00:37   #21

Re: FP Lucia 40 Anchor and Windlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDogsLLC View Post
Hey! Finally got settled here in the Abacos! Thanks for you patience. Here are two shots of the Rocna 33 anchor, which held wonderfully last night in 45 knot gust/thunderstorms.
Just about to install a Rocna 33 on a Lucia 40 ourselves, any issues with the windlass raising it?
freebird22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 04:56   #22

Boat: FP LUCIA 40, Hull #51

None whatsoever. Had it on there for 4 years now.
Escape Plan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass